"net" calories? Huh?

Hi!

I have been on MFP for awhile, and am back at it with logging meals and joining the community, etc.

From what I can tell... I have the allotted calories for the day, plus what I negate with exercise. However, the whole "net" calories throws me through a loop. What are those? Where do they come from/what am I supposed to do with them in terms of my weight loss?

Any info would be helpful... :)

Thanks!:blushing:

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    I think it's your calories you're allowed after factoring in your workout but not sure.

I don't log my workouts and have my activity level set to none because I'd rather do this myself more accurately with my own tools (HRM.etc)
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Net calories = calories consumed (eaten) - exercise calories. If you're aiming for 1600 net and burn 400 in exercise one day, then you need to eat 2000 calories that day: 2000 - 400 = 1600.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Example:

TDEE without exercise: 2500
    1lb per week loss deficit: -500
    Goal without exercise: 2000
    Workout: -500
    TDEE with exercise becomes: 3000
    Goal with exercise: 2500 (or net of 2000)
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Net calories = calories consumed (eaten) - exercise calories. If you're aiming for 1600 net and burn 400 in exercise one day, then you need to eat 2000 calories that day: 2000 - 400 = 1600.

^^ Yup
  • jacz83
    jacz83 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you, repliers!

So, technically, when you exercise, you are supposed to get those back? As in, eat your net?

Does not doing so result in unhealthy or too speeded up of weight loss?
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    If I understand this correctly, by the end of the day, you should have your net be equal to your calorie goal before exercise is entered.
    The net is calories consumed minus calories burned.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    The net is calories consumed minus calories burned.
    Yes, this. Calories consumed minus calories burned = NET calories.

To put what another poster explained in a different way:

If you have an MFP goal of 1600 calories and you burn 400 calories in exercise, you have to eat 2000 calories to meet your goal:

2000 - 400 = 1600

That 1600 is your NET calories.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Thank you, repliers!

So, technically, when you exercise, you are supposed to get those back? As in, eat your net?

Does not doing so result in unhealthy or too speeded up of weight loss?

Yes and yes, if you do it all the time. Not eating them back once or twice won't do much, if any, harm, but eat too little for a long period of time and you will start to lose lean body mass (muscle).
  • betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Example:

TDEE without exercise: 2500
    Goal without exercise: 2000
    Workout: -500
    TDEE with exercise becomes: 3000
    Goal with exercise: 2500 (or net of 2000)

Great visual!