Does your stomach really shrink?

Options
I'm curious to ask people who have lost a significant amount of weight (like 50 pounds or more)...does the capacity of your stomach decrease as you lose weight?

I've heard people say "your stomach shrinks" but was never sure if that was a myth.

Replies

• SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've heard this too. Waiting on replies.......
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NO. The stomach can expand, (when we eat too much). It does return to its normal size, but it does not shrink.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to ask people who have lost a significant amount of weight (like 50 pounds or more)...does the capacity of your stomach decrease as you lose weight?

I've heard people say "your stomach shrinks" but was never sure if that was a myth.

no
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It really does take less food to make me feel full. I don't know if my stomach shrunk, but I do eat much smaller portions. I don't know if it because I have learned to recognize what full (satisfied) feels like compared to over eating.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think we just get used to eating less.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Heck no. I still have endless capacity. But it is true that after I've been eating more reasonably for awhile I will feel uncomfortably full if I eat a huge high fiber meal or overdo on the meat. I can still pack it all in, though.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65lbs and my appetite hasn't changed at all. It takes a lot for me to feel full; I still finish most meals no longer feeling hungry but no feeling anywhere near full.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I guess the stomach is very stretchy and can accommodate a lot of food. I don't know if it shrinks-but I guess for big volume eaters that to cut back back on volume will let the stomach spend more time at the normal size instead of the stuffed size. I found once I started paying attention that hunger goes away with much less food than I expected. But most of my overeating had to do with psychologically wanting more food and wanting more opportunities to taste it. And the fact that I can eat double servings without any complaints from my stomach is misleading me to think "as long as there's room, I must be okay to eat more"