I don't even know how to dress myself anymore...

Options
jnv7594
jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have a job interview today, so I decided it was time for me to break down and buy new clothes. I've now lost just over 70 pounds, but I still keep reaching for those bigger sizes. Then I'm shocked when I am swimming in them because they are so big. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the smaller me. Anyone else struggle with their brain not keeping up with their body? Honestly, sometimes I look in the mirror and don't even recognize myself. You would think that would be a good thing, but for some reason yesterday, i found it frustrating...probably partly because I hate shopping and it took longer since I didn't really know my size. Maybe I should hire a personal shopper, lol. On a happy note, I am now out of the plus sizes. :)

Replies

• KatherineP1986
    KatherineP1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely am dealing with this right now. Especially as I look at my body and see how imperfect it still is. I look at my petite sister and feel like the hulk next to her even though now we wear the same size clothes!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!! and I know the feeling regarding clothing sizes. I can't wrap my brain around wearing smaller sizes.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    For the first year I was at or near my original goal weight, I'd stop in the plus size clothing section all the time to check out an article of clothing I couldn't wear anymore. Seemed like that year all the cute stuff was plus sized anyway!
  • Tudyturtle
    Tudyturtle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can I please be your personal shopper?! LOL... all jokes aside, I get how shopping can be frustrating . I personally dread trying clothes on, but at the same time, I hate having to return things because they don't fit right. Now, one thing that makes shopping easier for me is to go shopping on a day when I can take my time and preferably when I'm not tired. I would try to wear something that it's easy to take of/put back on and that I'm comfortable in and promise myself that I will only buy clothes that I try on and that fit me well!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing so well!

I also have moments where I look at something I love and think sadly, 'drats, they only have it in size <whatever>, I won't fit into that', before I remember I'm not the size I was. I was amazed when I recently discovered that in my favourite store, I can now fit into the small size of men's tops (which I love wearing), when before I'd have gone for an XL, or L if the chest area was roomy. It still feels strange buying smaller things, it's good but it's confusing, lol.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I still head for the 12s which is where my head says the smaller me should be... I can't believe I should shop in the 8s.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have this issue for sure. When I go shopping, even when try things on, I'm still sure when I get home that they won't fit. I can't believe I'm in a medium or a size 10 now. I used to be an XL, size 20.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yes. It takes a while for your brain to catch up to your new body. It doesn't help that women's clothing sizes are all over the place depending on brand (so frustrating!)
    Good luck on your job interview!!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your job interview!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to figure out how to dress myself again. It is frustrating but it does pass-- it's just like learning to shop for yourself when you're a teenager. The cuts that used to flatter you might not work anymore, and things you'd never have been able to wear will look great. Just be patient with yourself and keep trying lots of things on.

At least you know that you're swimming in things-- my best friend had to pull me aside and tell me that none of my clothes fit and it was time to go shopping. I honestly didn't realize it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First: Congratulations on the loss! You must be looking great!

It is hard for me, too, but I think that is natural. I still start to head to the +sizes, but it is getting easier. Frankly, I don't think that a personal shopper or stylist idea is a bad one. I have actually thought of it as a final reward. I wonder if along with a new me, I should have a new style. It is hard though, to get out of our comfort zone of tunics and black slacks.

What about buying something you really, really want? Although, I have had to buy work clothes, as I have lost weight, for me the difference was just this week when after years and years of buying elasticized waist jeans in a 22WP and not buying any jeans since I started this journey, I bought a pair of perfectly fitting, straight-legged, fly-front, 10P jeans. Oh, what a different image I had of myself! (Now I just need the boots!)

I'm not quite done yet. I would like to see those jeans in a 6P, but for now, I'm in 7th Heaven!
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Yes. It takes a while for your brain to catch up to your new body. It doesn't help that women's clothing sizes are all over the place depending on brand (so frustrating!)
    Good luck on your job interview!!

Yeah, vanity sizing is out of hand. Sadly it also works pretty well on me. All else being equal, I will buy the jeans with a smaller size number on the label. Ugh!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I held off shopping for a while, but when I reached my target weight, I went on a couple of serious shopping trips, where I just spent an hour or 4 trying on everything in every size so I could see what size I was and what cut/fit suited me.

I found it easier to get my sizing right every time after that experience.
  • JenniferLeeWatson
    JenniferLeeWatson Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss and good luck on the interview.

I can completely relate to that feeling of still thinking you are in a bigger size. I have lost over 180lbs since July 2013 so I have been through several size points in that time. Recently though as I am getting into sizes I haven't been in quite a few years, I am finding my instinct is still to reach for the larger sizes that I find more familiar. I am trying to train myself to reach for what I think is smaller than what I need telling myself that I can always grab a larger size or if I am ordering it online, I can always keep that smaller size until I fit into it. I am always surprised when those smaller sizes end up fitting right off the bat. The most unexpected moment of this kind of realization actually happened to my husband. He was at a store picking up some clothes I had ordered for myself. He wandered over to a rack and picked up something he thought I might like considering it as a gift for me and suddenly realized there was no way I fit into that size anymore.

We are losing weight together and let me tell you, even the guys go through this. I can't get him to realize he is now an XL and not a 2x or 3x anymore. Every time I buy him XL he swears it won't fit. LOL I figure, or at least hope, that at some point we will both adjust and see ourselves as we actually are and not how we had been for so long.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Sometimes it's just nice to know others feel the same so I know I haven't completely lost my mind, lol.
  • melamlaw
    melamlaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love this problem!! I can't believe the sizes I'm in after 27 pounds lost. And I hate to talk about it on other social media because I don't want it to seem like I'm bragging!! Thanks for sharing this. It is very validating for me. Congrats on your loss!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not at the point where I've had to buy new clothes yet. I've been pondering what I might get in future and thinking it will be really overwhelming to suddenly have so many choices. Not having to consider first whether pants or a skirt have a stretchy waist or if the shirt is longer than average so it won't expose my big belly all the time.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! Shopping all along the way was necessary for me but since reaching goal it has been harder than it was all along. I have a hard time going down a size when necessary. Just this afternoon I tried on two dresses and the size I wanted to fit didn't but the size 2 fit and while I guess I should be happy, I miss my womanly curves.

I think it will take time and just like when we won't go up a size when we needed to at our largest we will experience the same thing when we adjust to our new sizes.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to that feeling and experience.

You will adjust--it just takes a while.

If you have a trusted friend who can go shopping with you, that can help. I had to go to the mall a couple of times when I was not in a hurry and try hundreds of things on to get a sense of what would work.

I've been wearing size 10 jean for a least a year and I am still trying to wrap my head around that.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yep. I wear a size 4/6 now, and still always start in the plus section without even blinking. I always wore things big, so 3XL was my go-to. Now... um... its not flattering at all :)