Types of light excercises for back injury

Options
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me with regards to the types of excercise I can do since I have recently injured my back. I have no idea how I even hurt myself, I was just sitting at work one day, stood up and felt a pull. :( I was doing so well. I quit smoking, (month and a half nicotine free)started the 30 day shred....I was on day 3 of level 2, feeling great. I havent been this motivated in a long time, now all of a sudden I'm on something called Naproxen (which i think is advil on steroids) and a muscle relaxant that makes me drowsy :( (I'm supposed to take the muscle relaxant 3 times a day but I dont because I despise feeling so groggy) I feel so upset because I cant do anything...and I really dont want to stop with the progress I've made thus far. Any advice on the kinds of excercises I can do while I'm recovering? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :smiley:

Replies

• lexielainex
    lexielainex Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of injury you have to your back and when you have pain. If you have pain in flexion (going to touch your toes) stay away from exercises that have you in that position. If you have pain in extension (leaning backwards) then stay away from exercises that put you in that position. A lot of it is self limiting so if you feel pain don't do it. Then again it may be hard to find that limit since you are on medication and may not feel your barriers. Initially I would stick to low impact exercise like easy biking and avoid any intense or plyometric types of training. Once you're off your medicine maybe try to progress and limit yourself according to some of the suggestions I made above. Also working on having a strong core can help with back pain. I hope this helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    No one can really give you precise information on exercise if they don't know the extent of you're injury. How about getting an assessment from physical therapy and have them give you a list?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This happened to me twice in a year. It really sucks!

I also took Naproxen (which btw is also known as Aleve and unless you're on a prescription-only dosage, is not a big deal, so don't worry about it). I saw a chiropractor and, when the worst was over, I did very gentle yoga. If you feel up to it, you can search YouTube for "restorative yoga". Do not do anything that hurts. Go very slowly, stay relaxed, aim to be super gentle.

I also found that once I could walk, light walking was beneficial. If you live somewhere that's cold right now, bundle up extra through your core (trust me). You may want to avoid outdoor walking if you can help it when the ground is uneven from snow and ice (as I found that really jarring on my back).

But I agree also with ninerbuff. You're the one in your body, so only you and maybe a professional can really figure out what will be okay for you. I'm sure there WILL be things. But even if your best bet right now is rest, that's okay. You'll heal and get back to it!
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice guys! I am looking into Physio therapists as we speak...and I was thinking about yoga this morning that and maybe walking the dog will have to suffice. Perhaps after a visit to the therapist I will feel less discouraged, here's to hoping for the best! :) thanks again!