Feeback

Options
I posted this on my wall but I feel I need more feedback, frustrations have kicked in and I am finally not going to be afraid to post in the forums.

Gosh! I just feel stuck in limbo with my mind and body. Do I do this or that? Do I drink more water? less water? more calories a day? less a day? Am I really making changes anymore, I feel I have been stalled for a year, by now I should feel better, seeing more results. I just don't know....yes this is what goes on in my head everyday. Just when I think I got it figured out I don't. I want to lose more weight I'm 5'3" currently weighting in at 131 to 135, I have flab on the back of my thighs, my right love handle sticks out more and flab hanging off my arms, rights side more than the left. Yes I have notice a six pack popping out but my jeans this year aren't fitting well as they did last year...I really need help!

I had a gym membership and was going but felt I was getting the same results at home with my equipment. Yes I lift weights, kettebells, and do cardio. Squats and planks we do good but not every day anymore.

Also I was eating at 1700 until this week I lowered it, not going to last long either but just trying new things. I have a Fitbit as well so I am always moving.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Perhaps a goal/routine and give it 6-8 weeks?

What does your Fitbit have for an average daily burn total? Take that # and multiply it by .9. (My theory, an activity tracker is likely off by 5-10%.) Subtract 500 calories. Does this seem like a reasonable intake goal for you? If its too low, then aim for a 250 deficit instead.

On your food choices, use a food scale. Track everything honestly & accurately. Log everyday. If you choose to have a day at maintenance that's fine, but still hold yourself accountable for the choices you make. (I see days of no logging in your diary.)

And again, give it 6-8 weeks. Have realistic goals. Progress may mean 2-3 pounds lost in 6-8 weeks at your size. Then reassess.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No I don't weigh my food, I have been living this lifestyle change for 2 years and have lost around 70 lbs but I gain 10 back. I know I should weigh my food, seriously I do but at the same time I got this far without it.

As far as the Fitbit and I know this sounds stupid but which number are you looking for? I have the 2000 burn that I need to get to and then the MFP number it actually gives me which varies but around 400 daily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Diet break time. Take two weeks of no logging to get your head back in the game. I had one in October and it made all the difference in the world!
  • wyattj99
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Diet break time. Take two weeks of no logging to get your head back in the game. I had one in October and it made all the difference in the world!

I am really thinking of this. I really need a break. During your break did you splurge more or less? I know just be mindful. Yep! that is what I need. But when I return I need a new game plan. By the way Lifting4Lis, I love your arms! I want those.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    wyattj99 wrote: »
    I posted this on my wall but I feel I need more feedback, frustrations have kicked in and I am finally not going to be afraid to post in the forums.

Gosh! I just feel stuck in limbo with my mind and body. Do I do this or that? Do I drink more water? less water? more calories a day? less a day? Am I really making changes anymore, I feel I have been stalled for a year, by now I should feel better, seeing more results. I just don't know....yes this is what goes on in my head everyday. Just when I think I got it figured out I don't. I want to lose more weight I'm 5'3" currently weighting in at 131 to 135, I have flab on the back of my thighs, my right love handle sticks out more and flab hanging off my arms, rights side more than the left. Yes I have notice a six pack popping out but my jeans this year aren't fitting well as they did last year...I really need help!

I had a gym membership and was going but felt I was getting the same results at home with my equipment. Yes I lift weights, kettebells, and do cardio. Squats and planks we do good but not every day anymore.

Also I was eating at 1700 until this week I lowered it, not going to last long either but just trying new things. I have a Fitbit as well so I am always moving.

Are you being 100% honest ?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You got this far without weighing your food because you had a lot of weight to lose. A bigger body uses more energy - so your estimation errors didn't keep you from losing weight. Now its a different story. Your body uses less energy because there is less of you now. Before maybe you were aiming for a deficit of 750-1000 a day. Perhaps you were actually at a deficit of 400-700 due to errors. It still worked in the long run. Now if you're aiming for 250-500 per day, some days you may think you're in a deficit and might not be due to errors. An extra 25-50 calories here & there add up quickly. And if you're estimating, there are errors.

Fitbit shows total calories. Such as yesterday mine had 1917, the day before 1883, and so on. This is your TDEE. I would not assume a fitness tracker could be 100% accurate which is why I suggested taking 10% of it away. You can also let MFP use the Fitbit adjustments if that works for you. In this case I'd leave some of the calories 'on the table' to account for tracker error.

Then there is consistency. What's happening on the days you don't track? If you're averaging 500 calories a day deficit 5-6 days a week (or less, due to estimation errors) are you eating similar and just not logging on the off days? Or are they cheat/binge/high calorie days?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I am really thinking of this. I really need a break. During your break did you splurge more or less? I know just be mindful. Yep! that is what I need. But when I return I need a new game plan. By the way Lifting4Lis, I love your arms! I want those.

No, I was still conscientious of what I was eating, I just needed the mental break (and believe me the first three days killed me), of not logging. It took a lot to make myself eat something I hadn't weighed.
    Thanks for the fantastic complement- they're a work in progress! :D
  • wyattj99
    Options
    You got this far without weighing your food because you had a lot of weight to lose. A bigger body uses more energy - so your estimation errors didn't keep you from losing weight. Now its a different story. Your body uses less energy because there is less of you now. Before maybe you were aiming for a deficit of 750-1000 a day. Perhaps you were actually at a deficit of 400-700 due to errors. It still worked in the long run. Now if you're aiming for 250-500 per day, some days you may think you're in a deficit and might not be due to errors. An extra 25-50 calories here & there add up quickly. And if you're estimating, there are errors.

Fitbit shows total calories. Such as yesterday mine had 1917, the day before 1883, and so on. This is your TDEE. I would not assume a fitness tracker could be 100% accurate which is why I suggested taking 10% of it away. You can also let MFP use the Fitbit adjustments if that works for you. In this case I'd leave some of the calories 'on the table' to account for tracker error.

Then there is consistency. What's happening on the days you don't track? If you're averaging 500 calories a day deficit 5-6 days a week (or less, due to estimation errors) are you eating similar and just not logging on the off days? Or are they cheat/binge/high calorie days?

I live the 80/20 rule. I know I'm not perfect but I log what I eat. I'm a planner as well, every weekend I grocery shop and on Sunday I prepare my foods for the week and I log them in and eat them. Sometimes that can change due to something that came up and I change my food log when that happens. I do a cheat meal once a week but lately due to crazy events it's been more than once a week.

I understand the less I have to lose the harder I have to work on the food. It's hard and I need help!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I live the 80/20 rule. I know I'm not perfect but I log what I eat. I'm a planner as well, every weekend I grocery shop and on Sunday I prepare my foods for the week and I log them in and eat them. Sometimes that can change due to something that came up and I change my food log when that happens. I do a cheat meal once a week but lately due to crazy events it's been more than once a week.

I understand the less I have to lose the harder I have to work on the food. It's hard and I need help!

Bold plus not know calorie intake can cancel out your calorie deficit.
  • wyattj99
    Options
    Yopeeps...you are correct. I try to be close as possible to log what I eat for the cheat meal.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Careful. This can back fire. I got frustrated after a 6 month plateau and decided to take a couple of weeks off. Nearly 2 years later, and after gaining most of the weight back that I had lost, I'm starting over. Not saying it won't work for you, just saying be careful because it was the beginning of downward spiral for me.
  • wyattj99
    Options
    All I can do is give it a try, I'm pretty dedicated person not to fall completely off but to try something new attitude. I'm sorry this happened to you but I don't EVER what to get back where I was. It's not worth it.