Meal ideas with beans

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
Please share your meal ideas that involve a lot of beans! I am trying to get lots of fiber. So far I've come up with chili (regular and white chicken chili but i don't have a recipe for that. Never tried it before) and then also ham and beans soup.

Please and thank you

Replies

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I add white beans to my tuna salad sometimes. You could also make black bean taco's/quesadillas with butternut squash. Or try making a Mexican salad with black beans, chicken or ground beef, bell pepper, corn, avocado etc. Chickpeas are great in tagines or you can make falafel with them of course.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Corn & black bean salad. Black bean burgers. Lots of great recipes online. Split pea soup. Spiced chickpeas. Spice and roast in oven. Hummus. I actually made butter bean hummus. It was good.. I pureed a drained can of butter beans. Added mashed garlic, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne and sesame oil. Little water to thin out. Yummy. I then used the hummus for wraps as well as a dip.

Oh and a favorite. Refried beans. These are yummy for heauvos rancheros.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can roast garbanzo beans to make a crispy snack.

http://steamykitchen.com/10725-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For chickpeas/garbanzo beans, hummus.
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/35059/leahs-homemade-authentic-hummus.html

Baked beans from scratch.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-beans-from-scratch/

Add lentils to your soups, sauces and stews. They will disappear. They don't need pre-soaking and they cook up much faster than beans.
  • amyruben
    amyruben Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Use spaghetti squash or zucchini pasta with your favorite red tomato pasta sauce and add white Cannellini beans to the sauce. This is what I do on spaghetti nights! The beans don't make me miss meat sauce at all!

Also, this minestrone soup is one of my favorites! http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-olive-garden-minestrone-soup-77585

Lastly, a three bean salad is a great side dish! This is my favorite recipe because I find most to be too sweet! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/three-bean-salad-5/
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Beans and greens! Rinse a can of beans. brown garlic and onion in olive oil, add the beans, add rinsed and torn greens. Season with salt, pepper and one herb. Cover pot and cook over medium heat until the greens are done.

Classic Combinations: spinach and small white beans, collards and pink beans, chard, cumin and black beans

Serve over whole wheat pasta, rolled in a tortilla, or as a side dish

P.S. This is an easy go to for vegan friends
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I sautee chicken with salsa and add black beans. I add spinach and zucchini sometimes. My daughter loves it as well and asks for it all the time.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh She Glows is an absolutely fabulous food blog (and cookbook) that is whole-foods and plant-based, so incorporates loads (and loads and loads) of fibre, including beans.

There's a list of bean and legume recipes here at the blog: http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/food-entrees/main-beans-legumes/

Happy cooking. :D
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Red beans & rice, cannellini beans with scrambled eggs & pesto, bbq beans, bean burger/patties. These are some of my favorites but I usually just dump them into a veggie soup.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've made this one quite a few times and is quite good especially if you find a really good salsa to go with it. I use a new mexico green chili salsa - private select I find at a local bakers grocery(krogers) and it's insanely easy to make.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-with-black-beans-cream-cheese-89204
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tacos. I always mix 1 can of no salt added black beans with 1 lb of meat or you could replace the beef with the black beans entirely. Bean burritos-mash pinto beans or black beans in non stick pan, no oil added. Salad with garbonzo or kidney beans added. Scrambled eggs black or pinto beans drained and mixed in. Black bean soup.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorites - I actually just compiled them a little while ago for a friend that wanted bean recipes :)

QUINOA & NAVY BEAN SALAD

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Cooking Time: 15 minutes
    Chilling Time: 2 hours (optional)
    Servings: 4-6

1 cup water
    1/3 cup dry quinoa
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons minced green onions
    1.5 cups cooked white beans
    2 cups diced tomatoes (one 24-oz. can, drained and diced)
    1 cup diced red bell pepper
    2 teaspoons minced fresh (or canned) green chilies
    salt and black pepper to taste

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa, cover, and simmer about 10-15 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Cool 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro, and green onions. Stir in beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, and chilies. Add cooled quinoa, mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.

BARBEQUED BEANS

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
    Cooking Time: 20 minutes
    Servings: 6-8

½ cup water or vegetable broth
    1 onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
    1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
    1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    4.5 cups cooked pinto, pink or red beans (or mixture)
    1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    1 ½ tablespoons molasses
    ½ tablespoon cider vinegar
    Dash or two Tabasco sauce

Place the water or broth in a large pot with the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetable are soft and liquid is almost gone. Stir in the mustard, chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients, stir well to mix, and cook over low heat about 15 minutes.

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp veggie bullion powder
    ½ tblsp chili powder
    ½ tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil, turn to medium and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 to 20 minutes.

EASY BLACK BEAN CHILI

3 cups cooked black beans
    1 jar (16oz) salsa + ½ jarful of water
    1 bell pepper, diced
    1 onion, diced

Bring everything to a boil, turn to medium and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 to 20 minutes.

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups blanched green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

GRANDPA’S GREAT NORTHERN SOUP

1 pound bag Great Northern Beans, sorted and washed
    1 bay leaf
    1 large onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 tsp liquid smoke
    salt & pepper to taste

Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Put all ingredients except salt and pepper into a stock pot and fill 2/3 the way with water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium simmer for approximately 2 hours. Test beans to see if they are soft. When beans are cooked, remove bay leaf and add salt and pepper to taste.

BALSAMIC LENTIL SALAD

Ingredients

• 1 pound dried green or brown lentils, picked and rinsed
    • 1 bay leaf

• ¼ cup olive oil
    • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 Tbsp dried parsley

• 1 red onion, chopped
    • 2 tomatoes, chopped

Directions

1. Cook the lentils: Bring a stock pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and bay leaf. Put on lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain water and remove bay leaf after cooked.

2. Make the dressing: Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic and parsley in a large serving bowl.

3. Compose the salad: Add the lentils, onion and tomatoes to the dressing in the serving bowl. Mix thoroughly and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

NEW ORLEANS RED BEANS

INGREDIENTS
    1 lb. dry red beans
    2 quarts water
    1-1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    4 fresh bay leaves
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    3 tablespoons chopped garlic
    3 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS
    1. Pick through beans to remove bad beans; rinse thoroughly.
    2. In a large pot combine beans, water, onion, celery, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
    3. Cover and cook over low heat for about 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir. Mash beans against side of pan.
    4. Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
    5. Cook, uncovered, over low heat until creamy, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
    6. Serve with hot cooked brown rice, if desired.

PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP

Ingredients
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    3 cups great Northern beans
    1 can chopped spinach, drained
    3 cans (4 ½ cups) vegetable broth
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 pound small whole wheat pasta (ditalini or other pasta broken into small pieces)

Directions
    1. In a large stock pot, combine all ingredients except pasta. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 40 minutes, covered.

2. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, approximately 10 minutes. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and enjoy.

ZESTY PINTO BEAN SOUP

Vegetable cooking spray
    3 cups pinto beans
    1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
    1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. water
    1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
    1/2 c. bell pepper, finely chopped
    1 (14 1/2 oz.) can no salt added tomatoes, chopped (undrained)
    1 chopped jalapeno (opt.)
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions

Coat saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium high heat until hot. Add bell pepper; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add 1 can beans and mash. Add remaining beans, tomatoes and other ingredients except onions. Stir well. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top soup with onions when serving.

BARLEY, BEAN & MUSHROOM SOUP

• 1 teaspoon olive oil
    • 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup chopped celery
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
    • 6 cups vegetable broth
    • 1 ½ cups white beans

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir in mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic. Saute until tender.
    2. Mix barley and vegetable broth into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 20-30 minutes, until barley is tender.
    3. Stir white beans into the barley mixture. Continue cooking about 5 minutes, until beans are heated.

SPICY BLACK BEAN BURGERS W/AVOCADO
    • 2 cups black beans, dried well
    • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 cup chopped scallions
    • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
    • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1 egg substitute (1 T ground flax mixed with 3 T water)
    • 1 tbsp cumin
    • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1 tsp hot sauce
    • 1/2 cup quick oats
    • 4 whole wheat buns
    • ½ avocado, sliced thin

Mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then egg substitute and spices. Then stir into mashed beans.
    Divide mixture into four patties (using slightly oiled hands helps) and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper. (If it's too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add another tablespoon of oats)

Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
    Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.
    When assembling, use chipotle vegan mayo for burger.
    Awesome Bean Recipes

• jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just made Split Pea Soup last night with my dutch oven and it tastes pretty good. This recipe is a good base to start with, you just need to season to taste and I would add some actual ham (I discovered ham hocks don't yield a lot of actual meat). This may be all too similar to your beans and ham, but I don't know. I don't think I have ever actually had that. Regardless, this is an easy recipe and most of the work is from chopping the veggies. After that, you just have to stir now and then and wait for the deliciousness of split pea soup to develop.

I agree with your stance on beans/legumes! In addition to fiber, you get a good amount of potassium from a serving of most beans. I have read potassium is important in regulating bodily functions, such as controlling blood pressure. It is also helpful with dieting (IIRC, it is indirectly helpful) in general. They are also a good source of protein. There were more good things I have found out about them, but I don't remember what else there was.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love to make chipolte black bean burgers. I found the recipe on eatingwell.com they have loads of other bean/veg recipes. Good luck!