Anyone here able to drop CPAP due to weight loss?

Options
mburgess458
mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 4 years ago and have been using a CPAP machine every night since then. I need to schedule a follow-up sleep study. I am hoping that losing 30 lbs (roughly 15% of my initial weight) may drop my moderate apnea into the mild category where I wouldn't necessarily need CPAP.

Is that too much to hope for? Anyone else out there able to lose their CPAP machine through losing weight?

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My husband as sleep apnea, as far as I know, it is neurological.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    my husband has sleep apnea, it's directly related to his weight according to the doc, and his doc said he might be able to ditch the CPAP if he lost a significant amount of weight (my husband is about 150 lbs overweight)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I did, years ago. I had more to lose than that, but I ditched the machine after losing about 40 (which was less than 15% for me).
  • mburgess458
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I know that being overweight is a risk factor for sleep apnea (at least some types of it). I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • Hi. I am a nurse and have had patients everyday be able to get off their claps by losing weight. It all depends on if you have obstructive sleep apnea or central sleep apnea. Central apnea is neuro so you probably won't come off if. Many doctors go by neck size. Greater than 18" you probably will need cpap
  • Cpap...stupid auto correct
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a nurse and have had patients everyday be able to get off their claps by losing weight. It all depends on if you have obstructive sleep apnea or central sleep apnea. Central apnea is neuro so you probably won't come off if. Many doctors go by neck size. Greater than 18" you probably will need cpap
    Yes I just googled it and was going to say the same thing.. my husband has a combination of both obstructive and central.

• mburgess458
    Options
    Mine is obstructive sleep apnea. My neck size came down from 17.25" to 15".
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My sister probably will. Just lose the weight and then see!
  • mburgess458
    Options
    My sister probably will. Just lose the weight and then see!

I have already lost 30 lbs. I'd love to lose another 10-15 before having a sleep study but it has been too long already and my insurance is going to stop covering supplies if I don't have another sleep study pronto.

Scheduled to happen in a couple of weeks so I will see.