Sugars from fruit good or bad

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruit good or bad

very rarely are matters of nutrition this black and white.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I stand by my anecdotal experience with fruit, and raise you by one scholarly study:

"Healthy volunteers ingested sugar-equivalent meals of oranges and orange juice and of grapes and grape juice. Satiety, assessed by two subjective scoring systems, was greater after whole fruit than after juice and the return of appetite was delayed. With oranges, as previously reported with apples, there was a significantly smaller insulin response to fruit than to juice and less postabsorptive fall in plasma glucose. With grapes, the insulin response to the whole fruit was, paradoxically, more than that to the juice, while postabsorptive glucose values were similar. The glucose in grapes appeared to be more insulinogenic than that in oranges and apples. Conversely, grape juice evoked less insulin than expected, possibly because its high osmolality delayed gastric emptying. However, diluting it did not increase its insulinogenicity. The plasma insulin and glucose responses to fruit appear to depend on the fiber as well as the glucose content of the fruit."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/34/2/211.short

So I am right about apples and oranges but wrong about grapes.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    dandayatra wrote: »
    my daily sugar intake mostly comes from fruit is that good or bad
    Fruit is full of nutrients and has a lot of fiber to slow the absorption of the sugar. So enjoy your fruit.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    _FATNSASSY wrote: »
    Fruit burns faster than other processed sugars because it is natural (easier to break down).

No, its because it contains mostly monosaccharides, not because its natural.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    _FATNSASSY wrote: »
    Fruit burns faster than other processed sugars because it is natural (easier to break down).

Nope :huh:

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I stand by my anecdotal experience with fruit, and raise you by one scholarly study:

I'll raise your quoted abstract by some data from the same study showing there is no difference between the rate of absorption of glucose from oranges or orange juice although differential insulin release causes a dip later than one hour after eating / drinking in the case of juice :- 2oz5ihcp2dpt.png

oj.PNG 24.7K