Go Pro, Bro!

Options
JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
So this is about GoPros, those little cameras that I now see everyone wearing while doing such extreme activities as walking to the store, checking out their 123rd library book and biking calmly through neighborhoods.

WTF?!?! I thought this was for extreme kayakers and mountain climbers and people who are actually DOING SOMETHING... or at least something you may care to watch in the future.

Yesterday, while trail running through the Boise hills, I saw no fewer than 15 different people wearing a go pro as they calmly rode their bikes through the trails. Is there any chance they want to relive that? Really? I mean, you can calmly ride your bike just about anywhere. I understand if they want on the mountain biking trails, but even those aren't really very intense or scary or noteworthy. I literally watched a group of five older guys biking calmly, in a caravan, and every one of them had a Go Pro.

So what's the point? And why does everyone have one? Is it just too close to Christmas and people are playing with gifts that other people got for them? Last ridiculous question: isn't this *kitten* what your eyes and memory are for? I mean, I'm all for pictures... a fun night out, your wedding, the birth of your child... but we need to remember every little bike ride?

Just curious to hear what others have to say. Help me understand the importance / necessity of a Go Pro in a non-extreme, non-Gatorade-commercial-esque context.

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    If it makes them enjoy their lives and get a chance to watch those little moments again, more power to them.

Worry about you and not them :)
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    If it makes them enjoy their lives and get a chance to watch those little moments again, more power to them.

b53f-c3daba8ba04565423e12eb8cb6237b46.gif
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Just cause they want to I guess. I have one mounted on my motorcycle and some times I turn it on when I'm just causually riding. Just something to do I guess.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this... I don't get it. In my opinion the GoPro is for those occasions when you are doing things that give you a legitimate opportunity to record your own death or serious maiming.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »

If thats "extreme" for them, that's not your call to make. They want to record that experience then that is their deal. Why let something so trivial set you off on a rant?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    That's just society now, it's like losers on Youtube or people on MFP or FB that think their opinions should matter....
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I love how asking a question, albeit a spirited one, means that I'm set off and worrying about other people. It's a cultural phenomenon that I don't understand and I was hoping my fellow MFPers would shed some light. Not angry or trying 2B a h8erz.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight. So for me, normal biking *is* an extreme sport. So is running. I use my GoPro to record my activities frequently. Maybe I'm not jumping off a cliff, but for a guy who used to be 419 pounds, biking for 40km or running for 10km is something I'd like to keep for posterity.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought one for my SO for his bday (today). I'm sorry I didn't consult you first to see if he was hard core enough to have one.

But to answer your reposted question: we're doing several Spartans and Tough Mudders this summer. He's also in the military. He wanted one to wear to those events and his military excursions.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Nope. You buy the camera, you use it for whatever I want.

My latest "hobby" is recording people that are trying to kill me - i.e. as a dash-cam for my bike during my commute.
  • pecanbeth1
    pecanbeth1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It may not be just another little bike ride. You never know what anyone is doing at any given point. It could be their last ride before a major surgery or medical intervention. Or it may be in a place they've always wanted to visit. Or their memory isn't very good and they don't want to miss something. Or they just want to capture it. So what?

The better question is why their choices matter to you.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I use it to video my sports practice sessions, to try to improve my technique.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Don't own a GoPro, but it's not like most of my moments of extreme terror on the trail or slopes have been planned...*kitten* just happens. It'd be interesting to replay some of them. Maybe.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I bought one for my SO for his bday (today). I'm sorry I didn't consult you first to see if he was hard core enough to have one.

But to answer your reposted question: we're doing several Spartans and Tough Mudders this summer. He's also in the military. He wanted one to wear to those events and his military excursions.

I thought this was a funny response. Didn't check with me to see if it was hardcore enough... but is doing Spartans and Tough Mudders. yeah, I'd say that counts as more extreme than a leisurely bike ride.

Thanks for the serious answers. I never considered a more leisurely ride being something worth recording b/c it could still be tough for people at lower fitness levels. This helped me to get a better understanding of why people might do this.

For the mind your own business type answers, sorry for asking a question and trying to illustrate why it was confusing for me. I don't think you took geniune offense, I just think you like berating strangers on the internet... but just my interpretation. I hope I haven't offended your delicate sensibilities.
  • PerfectMisfit
    PerfectMisfit Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just in case something awesome happens they're prepared, you never know where and when big foot or unicorns will appear.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Not to mention UFOs.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I really want one but I've felt I haven't done anything extreme enough to get one personally... the really cool thing I saw is some people attaching them to their dogs and watching the world from their perspective! Bahaha it's incredibly funny.
  • djasper73
    djasper73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP about not being sure why people would record day to day stuff. I have a GoPro, but it gets used when travelling to record the moments that I want to remember; my first bungee jump, ziplining through Laos, scuba diving in new places, stuff like that. As for using it when I'm biking through the park at home, not so much. I guess that people like to just have a replayable memory of the things that matter to them. To me it's not such a big thing, but I guess everyone has their own idea of what is significant.

I also agree that some people just like to attack people for their opinions for no other reason than just the hell of it. Calm down; everyone's entitled to their opinion!
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    agratzy wrote: »
    I really want one but I've felt I haven't done anything extreme enough to get one personally... the really cool thing I saw is some people attaching them to their dogs and watching the world from their perspective! Bahaha it's incredibly funny.

Awww, that's cute!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Wow dude. Maybe I was one of those people on a leisurely bike ride with one bcause my dying grandfather wanted to see the bike path he loved so much one last time before he died, alone and cold in an institution.

There's other freaks out there who might take their gopro out on something casual to actually learn how to use it and what to expect from it before they go try to film something extreme for THEIR dying grandpas.