2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Athos282 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    The first line is wrong. You can always control exactly where and what you eat. To think otherwise is to become the victim, which is the absolute wrong approach to eating well.

There's so much else wrong in this article, I'm not even going to humor it with a response exept to say this:

Control what you eat; don't let what you eat control you. The best option (and don't tell me you're too busy, anybody can find time to do the things they think are necessary) is to prepare your food at home; do it in advance if you have to. I cook all my food on Sunday and then just portion out what I need each day and my body thanks me for it when I do.

You *can* always avoid fast food if you choose to.

But the (I hope) goal of such a thread is what to do if you DO want to eat out in general. In December after a final exam a group of us met up afterwards, talked for aw hile, then one of them talked us into hanging out at a restaurant. This was unscheduled, I wasn't prepared, I also couldn't even look up nutritional info (no data and no wifi). I wanted to go out, I was hungry, so I just ordered something that l looked reasonable and tasty and logged when I got home. was wtihin my maintenance needs.

Yes, the point is that it was still a choice. It might have been spontaneous; but you still could have gone out and not eaten. I've done that. People might ask why you're not eating, but you really don't need to say more than, "I'm not hungry." At least I never have. Anybody that feels like you *must* eat isn't worth spending time with and you just decline their invite.

But why do that if you can go out, eat, and still fit your calorie and nutrition goals? If you truly don't want to eat out, that's fine, but there's no reason that we all have to cook at home 100% of the time.

Sure you can do that just fine, but do you really *know* that what was prepared at the restaurant matches the nutritional values on the menu? Different people make things different ways. I've eaten out enough and worked in fast food long enough to know that nutritional values are more likely to be wrong than right.

If you want accuracy, fixing your own food is always going to win over going out. Always!

Of course fixing your own food is going to be more accurate than eating out. But that's not really what this thread is about, is it? For those who choose to eat out there are strategies they can employ above and beyond throwing up their hands and claiming they have no control/no idea/no way to log. I don't agree with all of the OP's suggestions, but I think that there's a better way than just bolting your doors and never eating outside of foods you cooked 100% yourself.

• Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2015
    The first line is wrong. You can always control exactly where and what you eat. To think otherwise is to become the victim, which is the absolute wrong approach to eating well.

There's so much else wrong in this article, I'm not even going to humor it with a response exept to say this:

Control what you eat; don't let what you eat control you. The best option (and don't tell me you're too busy, anybody can find time to do the things they think are necessary) is to prepare your food at home; do it in advance if you have to. I cook all my food on Sunday and then just portion out what I need each day and my body thanks me for it when I do.

But the (I hope) goal of such a thread is what to do if you DO want to eat out in general. In December after a final exam a group of us met up afterwards, talked for aw hile, then one of them talked us into hanging out at a restaurant. This was unscheduled, I wasn't prepared, I also couldn't even look up nutritional info (no data and no wifi). I wanted to go out, I was hungry, so I just ordered something that l looked reasonable and tasty and logged when I got home. was wtihin my maintenance needs.

Yes, the point is that it was still a choice. It might have been spontaneous; but you still could have gone out and not eaten. I've done that. People might ask why you're not eating, but you really don't need to say more than, "I'm not hungry." At least I never have. Anybody that feels like you *must* eat isn't worth spending time with and you just decline their invite.

But why do that if you can go out, eat, and still fit your calorie and nutrition goals? If you truly don't want to eat out, that's fine, but there's no reason that we all have to cook at home 100% of the time.

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make there. I mean, you can't guarantee calories in food your family makes, so will you never go to family gatherings because of it? Or will you just bring your own food instead? I only do that for dessert sometimes (bring my own GF thing) or will bring something GF for myself or a different fast-food item (e.g. pizza instead of Chinese for my birthday).

Well now you're changing the subject. I thought we were talking about fast food...not grandma's amazing pumpkin pie! I don't care how many calories it has, it's going in my face and I'm going to love it! Still a choice, but a choice I happily make.

Then why is there a difference between your grandma's pie and a pie you get at a restaurant or fast food? These are all situations in which you'll have to estimate caloric intake or look up information online. And all situations where you aren't making your own food, and all situations in which normal people will just... eat and not really worry too much about it. Just in reference to the comment of eating at home 100% of the time/always making your own food.

Well, if you're not worried about calories in the first place; it doesn't matter what you eat, which makes the article in the OP moot. If you're not worried about calories or the other adverse health effects of a lot of fast food, why are you avoiding it?

Again, my whole point is: What you put in your mouth is ALWAYS 100% your choice. Nobody's *making* you eat grandma's pumpkin pie. Nobody's *making* you go to Taco Bell. The article's premise of fast food being unavoidable is 100% wrong.

Own it!
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    If you are logging correctly every day then you will have a pretty good idea what is in what. We all know a chicken salad will be better than bbq sticky ribs with chips. I say if your out enjoy yourself. Eat something don't go overboard if you do who cares. Once won't kill you.we are all doing this so we can enjoy life not to sit in a restaurant with everyone enjoying themselves and you sat there not eating drooling over everyone else's food (we all do it if losing weight, we just don't know we are doing it.)
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Fast food eating tip: Look up the nutritional information online and order things that will fit into you calories and/or macros for the day, buy it eat it.

Yeah I do this (hooray for baconator day!). Sometimes it involves standing at the entrance to the fast food place while looking up their menu online and deciding what I can fit in. Fast food places are actually great in a sense because all their info is available, and you can actually be fairly confident that the process is the same every time, much more so than in a sit down restaurant.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    A salad will never be better than a burrito.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    why let food control you? even if you go over your calories, you can squeeze in a little more exercise, or cut back the next day or a combination of those over the course of a couple of days. i do it alllllllllll the time. i have consistent weight loss. i dont worry about where (or even what im eating, though i do try and be mindful of what it is). i try to log it as best i can, but its not always going to be totally accurate. c'est la vie. like i said, cut back the next day or so.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    A salad will never be better than a burrito.

You couldn't be more wrong...

look-i-made-a-salad.jpg
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member

Sure you can do that just fine, but do you really *know* that what was prepared at the restaurant matches the nutritional values on the menu? Different people make things different ways. I've eaten out enough and worked in fast food long enough to know that nutritional values are more likely to be wrong than right.

If you want accuracy, fixing your own food is always going to win over going out. Always!

Then shouldn't that also apply to eating at a family member's house? I can't guarantee how my aunt made the cake or how my grandmother made her gravy!
  • ana3067

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make there. I mean, you can't guarantee calories in food your family makes, so will you never go to family gatherings because of it? Or will you just bring your own food instead? I only do that for dessert sometimes (bring my own GF thing) or will bring something GF for myself or a different fast-food item (e.g. pizza instead of Chinese for my birthday).

Well now you're changing the subject. I thought we were talking about fast food...not grandma's amazing pumpkin pie! I don't care how many calories it has, it's going in my face and I'm going to love it! Still a choice, but a choice I happily make.

Then why is there a difference between your grandma's pie and a pie you get at a restaurant or fast food? These are all situations in which you'll have to estimate caloric intake or look up information online. And all situations where you aren't making your own food, and all situations in which normal people will just... eat and not really worry too much about it. Just in reference to the comment of eating at home 100% of the time/always making your own food.

Well, if you're not worried about calories in the first place; it doesn't matter what you eat, which makes the article in the OP moot. If you're not worried about calories or the other adverse health effects of a lot of fast food, why are you avoiding it?

Again, my whole point is: What you put in your mouth is ALWAYS 100% your choice. Nobody's *making* you eat grandma's pumpkin pie. Nobody's *making* you go to Taco Bell. The article's premise of fast food being unavoidable is 100% wrong.

Own it!

Anyone trying to gain, maintain, or lose weight on MFP cares about their caloric intake. So the point of figuring out the best way to stay within caloric needs in any food-eating situation is thus important for loggers. I do not avoid fast food because I follow the advice I posted at the start of the thread.

In some situations though eating something you did not make is NOT unavoidable. What happens if I did not have time to pack food because I overslept? Or I drop my lunch all over the floor and have to buy something quick at the grocery store/fast food/etc? Or if I go on vacation, or go to family's place,etc? I'm not going to always carry emergency logged/weighed food with me in case something like this happens - I gotta live my life llol.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Here are a few tips:

• The less processing the better. That’s why a salad is better than a burrito, or a fruit plate is better than a chicken sandwich and fries. Every step away from raw foods adds lots of calories.

I don't think most people are looking for the healthy option when they choose to get fast food, or they would surely be going somewhere else; I think most folk who go to eat at McDonalds for example are going to pick a burger or wrap over a salad, or else what's the point of choosing a fast food place? We go to these places to have an indulgence or for quick convenience, we know the calories are high and the nutritional content low, that's why such food is generally considered occasional food by those who eat sensibly.
  • ana3067
    Fast food eating tip: Look up the nutritional information online and order things that will fit into you calories and/or macros for the day, buy it eat it.

Yeah I do this (hooray for baconator day!). Sometimes it involves standing at the entrance to the fast food place while looking up their menu online and deciding what I can fit in. Fast food places are actually great in a sense because all their info is available, and you can actually be fairly confident that the process is the same every time, much more so than in a sit down restaurant.

This is why I love public wi-fi at places like this :p
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member

This! OP a salad is no good to me if I still need to fill 20g protein, 90g carbs and 40g fat.
  • ana3067
    3laine75 wrote: »

This! OP a salad is no good to me if I still need to fill 20g protein, 90g carbs and 40g fat.

It is if you get the Boston Pizza grilled pecan salad :p 900 calories for that ish.

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    If all else fails I get the kids meal and skip the fries. Usually nuggets.

If not, wendys small chili, a jr deluxe and a diet coke is less than 500 calories
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Grilled chicken instead of battered and fried.
    Salad instead of fries.
    Most of the fast food places have good salads. Wendy's are hearty; the half salad is plenty.
    Dressing on the side.
    Burgers no cheese/no bacon, eat only half the bun.