I want to lose 5 pounds per month within 4 months total.

Options
oXGetFitBabeXo
oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
Good Afternoon All,
I would like to lose 5 pounds a month for the next 4 months which is basically 1.5lbs a week. I'm hoping with supportive friends/ calorie counting & exercise will get me there.

Any helpful advice?

Short term goals: Count calories & Workout 3-5 days a week.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    For good advice, you need to post stats. Your profile is completely private, so we don't know what age you are, current weight, how much you need to lose... all of that is important information.

From my personal experience, I was able to maintain that loss over a 5 month period and entered maintenance at the 6 month mark after achieving my initial and revised goal weight. I am now focusing more on size and fat than weight.

Top tip: Buy a food scale. Log every single thing, accurately.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. Log accurately and honestly, which may mean purchasing a food scale to verify your servings. And don't worry if you don't hit your goal, since it's pretty aggressive. Even losing half the amount in that amount of time is going to be incredible.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    For good advice, you need to post stats. Your profile is completely private, so we don't know what age you are, current weight, how much you need to lose... all of that is important information.

From my personal experience, I was able to maintain that loss over a 5 month period and entered maintenance at the 6 month mark after achieving my initial and revised goal weight. I am now focusing more on size and fat than weight.

Top tip: Buy a food scale. Log every single thing, accurately.

Oops.... I started MFP in 2011 i think... so i havent really updated much.

I'll have to fix that for you.

• oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat less, move more. Log accurately and honestly, which may mean purchasing a food scale to verify your servings. And don't worry if you don't hit your goal, since it's pretty aggressive. Even losing half the amount in that amount of time is going to be incredible.

I own a food scale, i think it's time to pull it out again!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    With 27 pounds to go, you probably won't maintain 1.5 to the end, but you could probably start there, then drop to 1 lb per week after the first ~15 lbs. You will find your daily calorie allowance gets lower and lower as you drop.

Also, if you're not already, you should do some weights or resistance training to maintain muscle mass while you lose.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Thank you so much!... I'm trying to figure out how many calories i should actually burn at the gym if i'm only eating 1,200. If i eat 1,200 and burn 300 at the gym everyday i could actually eat 300 more or do i just leave it as is. What usually works better?
  • Asiamerica
    Asiamerica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it's kind of an agressive goal...I gave myself one year to drop 20lbs. from 188 to 168. I was a bit agressive during the first sixmonths, then not so much in the last six. My body tended to maintain results the longer I took to achieve my goals as long as i kept at it. But, your personallity and phisiology might be the kind that could take the aggressive goal you have in mind...best of luck. it is possible!
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat less, move more.

repeat ad infinitum

• oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I think 10 pounds a month is unrealistic, but i dont think 5 pounds a month is. Even 4 pounds a month at that matter isnt too bad. Move more, Eat healthier works for me!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your goal is too aggressive. Do the math yourself, i am guessing mfp gave you 1200 a day because that is where it bottoms out not because that is your actual goal. Google scoobys workshop and use their tdee calculator (dont put in your exercise since mfp has you log it) , take 750 from that and that would be your actual calorie goal to lose 1.5lbs a week. The reason people who do not have alot to lose need to lose slower is because you have a smaller tdee so it is much harder to create a large deficit without starving yourself. Typically it is advised to shoot for around .5lbs/ week with a 20 lb goal.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have the same goal! well 20-30lbs. i'm also aiming for 4-5lbs a month. and if it takes me longer to lose the last 5 or so thats fine. i just joined a week ago but i am 45lb lighter than i used to be
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!... I'm trying to figure out how many calories i should actually burn at the gym if i'm only eating 1,200. If i eat 1,200 and burn 300 at the gym everyday i could actually eat 300 more or do i just leave it as is. What usually works better?

1,200 calories is a very aggressive deficit for what you have to lose.
    With a calorie goal that low (I'm assuming you have it at 2lbs/week), you need to eat your exercise calories back.

I did the 2lb/week route when I had a small amount to lose during all my false starts since 2011, and I didn't stick to it. I was miserable. You should have it set to 1lb/week right now, and once you have 15lbs to go, switch it to .5lb/week.

You didn't put on the weight in 4 months, so don't rush to take it off. Especially with such a small amount to lose, it may be discouraging if you do not hit your goal, especially because weight loss is not a linear process.

I've spent the past year taking my extra 30lbs off, and I am glad I took the slow and steady route. It allowed me to make sustainable changes, and to actually eat a reasonable amount of calories while in a deficit to lose.

That's just my two cents.