how to improve my stomach?

let's start out with, I'm 5'2 and I weigh 116. yes, I'm a feather. but I'm also very unproportional. my stomach isn't huge but it's larger than what I would like it to be. my legs are needless to say, chicken legs. I want to look better. I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet, I don't know what workouts will help? any suggestions?

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I use a 5lb weighted hula hoop. It's basically like a boxer constantly punching your stomach with the way it's designed.
  • Try doing squats and sitUps plus cardio to help the stomach lean out!
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Read this it might help it's very useful (well I found it was) :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2015
    Strength training.

Once you've hit skinny proportions, getting that "lean, toned" look comes from putting on muscle. Ironically, this means you may get to eat at a surplus! :p

And answering in advance:

No, weight lifting will not make you bulky.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Try doing squats and sitUps plus cardio to help the stomach lean out!

Situps may be one of the worst, most useless exercises ever. There are much better core exercises that don't screw up your back in the process.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Read this it might help it's very useful (well I found it was) :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Another vote for this. It's got all the info you need.

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    rand486 wrote: »
    Strength training.

Once you've hit skinny proportions, getting that "lean, toned" look comes from putting on muscle. Ironically, this means you may get to eat at a surplus! :p

So if you have lost weight and want to gain muscle you have to lift,but should you eat the cal from lifting ? How much should your deficit be ? ( I need to lose body fat % )
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member

You can not spot reduce!
    The only place the stomach will lean out is in the kitchen.
    Reduce body fat to get a smaller stomach.

Lifting weights will help you re-composition your body.
    Google some lifting techniques for women, there are many.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2015

You can not spot reduce!
    The only place the stomach will lean out is in the kitchen.
    Reduce body fat to get a smaller stomach.

Lifting weights will help you re-composition your body.
    Google some lifting techniques for women, there are many.

Also, stress does actually make a difference. I didn't believe it, but I've noticed my fat recomping causing a bit of a lower stomach pooch. One thing that allegedly causes that is cortisol. I don't know for a fact how much truth there is to that, so if someone wants to throw some info my way about that, that would be cool. But allegedly finding ways to relax goes a long way in shifting belly fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    rand486 wrote: »
    Strength training.

So if you have lost weight and want to gain muscle you have to lift,but should you eat the cal from lifting ? How much should your deficit be ? ( I need to lose body fat % )

You're probably looking more for recomposition. Eat at maintenance and lift. It takes time, but that's a method to improve your body composition without having to bulk and gain fat.