If every day were like today...

Options
You'd weigh xxx lbs in 5 weeks!

Not.

I just went back and calculated my weekly average for the last 6 weeks, and I am definitely not on target. I'm 7 lbs over what i "should" be this week.

I realize it's just a simple tool so I wasn't expecting great things, and I'm not in a huge hurry to lose all of my weight RIGHT NOW, but...still.

Maybe this might have to do with the over-estimate of calories burned from exercise? Or maybe it's an indication that I've gained muscle? I have definitely toned up considerably.

Any similar experiences? Thoughts?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I ignore it.

Did you stick 100% to being under your limit? Did you log faithfully and accurately with no cheats? And yeah overestimating calorie burns will do that. I never eat back my exercise calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Was every day exactly the same in terms of calories in and out? Because that's what the projection is calculating. It's never going to be spot on because you might move more some days, eat a bit more some days...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    was every day exactly like the previous day? if not, then it's pretty meaningless.

also, most people underestimate intake and overestimate burn...there are inherent accuracy issues with calorie counting.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    On a good day, I look at it as a motivator. In less than 5 weeks I should hit my goal. On a bad day it looks like my goal is months and months away. It's a reminder that I need to pay attention to each day.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh all my food, so I'm being as accurate as possible.

What I did is I calculated the weekly average from 5 weeks ago and compared it to my current weight. I know it's not an exact science, but I was hoping that little ticker would be somewhat on target. Oh well!

Thanks for your comments everyone.
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I ignore it.

Did you stick 100% to being under your limit? Did you log faithfully and accurately with no cheats? And yeah overestimating calorie burns will do that. I never eat back my exercise calories.

How do you survive without eating back your calories? I feel so hungry all the time from exercising. Most days I don't eat them ALL back, but I always eat at least some of them back. I guess your body has adjusted over time?
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to ignore it. We all are different and I lose weight slowly!

I have lost 15 pounds since July. For me that is very positive. In January, I lost a total of 4 pounds. I track every day, weigh and measure most foods, drink at least 6 cups of water, and faithfully eat 1200-1300 calories a day. I exercise 3 times a week for an hour but do not "eat back" those calories. According to MFP I should be losing 2 pounds a week, but if I lose a pound every week, I am very happy. So far this month, I have lost 3 pounds.

70044776.png
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have a problem. I have a daily goal of 1475 calories per day. I usually try to stay within 50 calories or less of that. Every so often I go over by 200 calories or so....but not on a regular basis. My struggle is fitting in all my protein, fat, and fiber macros while staying at or under goal.
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I definitely have to ignore it. We all are different and I lose weight slowly!

I have lost 15 pounds since July. For me that is very positive. In January, I lost a total of 4 pounds. I track every day, weigh and measure most foods, drink at least 6 cups of water, and faithfully eat 1200-1300 calories a day. I exercise 3 times a week for an hour but do not "eat back" those calories. According to MFP I should be losing 2 pounds a week, but if I lose a pound every week, I am very happy. So far this month, I have lost 3 pounds.

70044776.png

Wow, good job!!!
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It was spot on for me at first - when I had more to lose. Now that I am getting closer and closer to my goal weight it is becoming less accurate.
  • sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I too was curious on how accurate that little boost of motivation was. I have tracked my weight regularly in excel since I started MFP and decided to test it. I added a note of the projected weight so I could compare it. I wont have results until March 14, but If I stay at my average of 2+ pounds loss a week I think I should hit it. My biggest issue with it is that the font is red, I feel that as long as you will have lost weight in five weeks it should be green, and only have the font be red if you will have gained in five weeks by following that eating pattern.