Shoulder Exercise

Options
I loved to lift weights when I was younger. Now have big, beefy arms and shoulders and I'm looking for an exercise to tone and slim them.... any suggestions???

Replies

• Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The overhead press!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can do any number of exercises, just remember that to keep them from bulking do light weight and high repitition. If you go your max weight for 8-10 reps you will add bulk.

Alternating shoulder press, or shoulder press both at the same time. Palms facing forward push weights over your head.

Another variation which is more comfortable for people is turn the palms in towards the face that will eliminate some of the shoulder impingements that happen with the other press.

L-Raises: holding the weights at your sides, take one straight up infront of you and the other at what would be 9 or 3 on a clock, change with every rep. You could also do this both arms forward then both to the sides. I prefer the first because it helps the core as well.

Hand Stand Pushups.

Weighted or unweighted arm circles. Make sure you shift between small circles forward and backwards, then large circles backwards and forwards.

Walk out Planks. Start in a pushup position and start walking your hands forward keeping your feet in the same place, go out as far as you can without falling on your face.

Fake Iron Cross. That is from olympic gymnastics. You see those guys from the rings with arms straight out. I have found that while I cannot support my body weight that way I can put a resistance band over a pullup bar and pull my arms to the iron cross position.

Shoulder shrugs. Self explanitory, this is best done with a comfortable weight first; going to heavy could cause neck injuries.

I can probably think of more but this is a good start.

Regards,
    Jim
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If your arms and shoulders are beefy due to a thick layer of fat, then you slim them down by eating at a caloric deficit and exercising. If you are already lean and actually want to reduce muscle (as strange as it may sound), then eat at a caloric deficit while purposely not working your shoulders and arms. Intense cardio (in excess of 3 hours or 20-mile run a day) can potentially reduce muscle also.
  • jim9097
    Options
    Now moving away from the shoulders to the arms. Many women have a problem with the wings on the back of the arms; I assume that is what you are talking about. You probably want and are talking about working the triceps. if that is the case then you can do anything where you go from a bent arm to a straight arm, as long as the pressure is on the back of your arm.

You want to ensure you stabablize your elbow for any tricep exercise (aka) don't move it. Assume a leaning lunge position, pull your elbows up to your sides then push the weight back.

Overhead press: Hold the weight over your head and bend it at the elbow then push back up.

Chair dips: Put your hands on a chair feet kicket out and butt off the chair slowly lower yourself down (not past parallel), then raise back up.

Lying down tricep extension: Lay on your back, hold the wieghts straight up; then bending the elbow lower them around your head until they almost touch the ground then raise them back up. Try not to smash your face....
  • 4word
    4word Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow... Thanks everyone!!
    Hexahedra: I am not lean and do believe that the majority is the fat layer you speak of. I am trying a 1200 calorie diet and work out 4x a week with cardio and strength. Need to lose 30 lbs!
    jim9097: Thank you for so many exercises to try!! Gotta figure out how to print them off!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hexahedra: I am not lean and do believe that the majority is the fat layer you speak of. I am trying a 1200 calorie diet and work out 4x a week with cardio and strength. Need to lose 30 lbs!

I see. The standard answer is "you can't spot reduce". Your body burns fat according to its own rules, no amount of shoulder and arm exercise is going to directly reduce fat in that area. Just continue your diet and exercise, and the fat will be reduced in due time.

About that 1200 calories, I suggest you read up about BMR and TDEE.
  • jim9097
    Options
    Wow... Thanks everyone!!
    jim9097: Thank you for so many exercises to try!! Gotta figure out how to print them off!

You don't really need to print, just write down the names and go to youtube, you can find someone who demonstrates them.
  • jim9097
    Options
    Also worth noting I do agree with hexahedra, you do need to look at your BMR and TDEE. Many people often make the mistake of going down to far on their calories. The body is very adaptable and if you starve it; it will go into a storage mode (for lack of a better term). On the face this does not make sense to people; but you have to eat to lose weight. The difficulty is that most people do not eat their calories from the right sources and do not meal plan properly. When you are doing any kind of weight training or exercise routine for that matter; your body needs the proper fuel and amount of fuel to allow it to maximize effort. While today you may only need 1200 calories to do nothing once you add in training; you need to make sure you compensate for that. It will help you heal faster, and help you improve your condition faster. Neglecting your diet will only lead to lack of energy and potential injuries.

Best Wishes, and I did accept your request...

Jim