How does one know

JustGizzy
JustGizzy Posts: 38
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
OK How does one know how many calories burned doing stuff like Fitness Total Toning or any other DVD for total body work outs..This Tape is a 30 minute work out but I have no way of knowing how mnay calories I burn doing it...I also do the 7 minute shapely secretes and have no clue how many if any calories being burn...Any and all help would be appreicated..

Thanks
Giz:bigsmile:

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    I also had the same questions as you with at home dvd's. I finally broke down and bought a heart rate monitor since there's no way to know how person A will differ from person B in terms of calorie burn with a dvd. For example I did the first dvd of Insanity last night with a friend and my HRM said I burned 308 calories and the ads say UP TO 1000 calories/hr. Since it was my first time doing it I missed some exercises and couldn't keep up with them the whole time.

I know this past weekend Sears was having a sale on their Polar HRM (I got mine for $58 with tax and they're usually 110ish). Honestly that's going to be the only way you'll know. One thing I used before that was how I was feeling during the workout and how that compared when I did a treadmill workout at the gym and what that calorie burn was. Granted I would always subtract 20% of what the treadmill said for margin of error.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    To know for sure, Heart rate monitor.

To have a really good guess,,, I just log that kind of stuff as "Circuit training - General" and go with MFP's numbers.
This discussion has been closed.