Heart Rate VS Threadmill calorie burn

Options
Heys guys,

I have a question about calorie burn.

I run/walk on a treadmill for about 30 minutes.

Calorie burned = 235 according to my treadmill (I know that calorie burn depends on each person so the treadmill is only an indicator)

But when I put on my heart rate monitor, I have an average of 170bpm for my 30 minutes.
I used shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx to estimate my calorie burn based on heart rate...

Gross calorie burn = 360 calories
My net calorie burn is 329 calories.

Even thought I know that the treadmill isn't exactly right, it is normal that the difference is so big ?? Which one should I refer to when logging it to MFP ?

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill does it ask you your weight? If no, that could be the issue. I have noticed some.treadmills are very close to my hr monitor and others are off by a bit. I'd trust the hr monitor over the treadmill personally
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'd use the lower number, regardless of source.

Unless your goal is to gain weight, in which case I'd assume the higher burn so I could be sure to cancel it out with more food. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    minimary16 wrote: »
    Heys guys,

I have a question about calorie burn.

Calorie burned = 235 according to my treadmill (I know that calorie burn depends on each person so the treadmill is only an indicator)

But when I put on my heart rate monitor, I have an average of 170bpm for my 30 minutes.
    I used shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx to estimate my calorie burn based on heart rate...

Gross calorie burn = 360 calories
    My net calorie burn is 329 calories.

Even thought I know that the treadmill isn't exactly right, it is normal that the difference is so big ?? Which one should I refer to when logging it to MFP ?

Yes is normal

The treadmill here in the gym does that too. Huge different with my polar watch
    My Polar watch is about 16% out of range when i do a VO2 test so i go by my watch. It will never be accurate of course But it is the closest numbers i get.
    :)
    That's the reason i only eat 1/4 back of my exercise calories.

76145189.png
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    How do you get your ticker to appear? I can't see mine
  • minimary16
    minimary16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My treadmill doesn't ask anything. I think I will stick to logging the treadmill value... I prefer logging in lower numbers (even though I know I have probably burn more than that! :D ) Thanks a lot guys !
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    minimary16 wrote: »

What distance are you covering in that thirty minutes?
    ......I have an average of 170bpm for my 30 minutes.

That sounds extremely high for a pretty gentle activity level, unless you're very out of shape, which you don't appear to be from your icon.

Mind you, given short duration relatively low intensity exertion the 100 calorie difference of opinion isn't unusual. It wouldn't surprie me if the HRM is overestimating.
  • minimary16
    minimary16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i cover about 2.11 miles
    I'm not in very good shape (mostly because of my asthma and bad knee)
    I'm always at 180 bpm when I run more than 5 minutes... I know I should not be able to keep up that pace, but I feel ok even though my heart rate is pretty high...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    About 200 calories is about right then