Caloric needs for someone missing both arms?

Hi all, I was just wondering what, if any, adjustments there are too calculating caloric needs using weight and height for someone missing both arms. Or does this even matter?
Thanks

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Wouldn't think it would make any difference.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    That's an interesting question. If you are going with post-amputation weight, it doesn't seem like it would make any difference.

Have you asked your doctors for an opinion on this?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I would imagine the variance would be minor.

Having no arms, would that make everything you do take more energy? Or force you to be more sedentary?

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I think it would make a significant difference to calculations that are based on working out a good weight for your height.
    If you are having trouble working out what would be a healthy weight for you, probably best to see a doctor for help in working this out.

Then you can calculate how many calories to eat based on your current weight and how much you have to lose to get to your desired weight, same as rest of us.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I would actually think the calories would be a little more. You're gonna end up using your legs a lot more without a balance from your hand. And anything using the legs burns more calories.
    But that's just my opinion.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I'm no expert, but I would think calorie burns from exercise would be quite similar to anyone else (based on exertion level and weight/height, generally it's all estimates for everybody, anyway). Any differences would either be negligible or any deficiencies offset by your unique lower body strength and balance adaptations (not sure if you're a prosthetic wearer or not).

As far as setting weight goals or calorie intake differences, those numbers should be at the guidance of your medical provider. You may or may not have unique enough differences in needs and goals to warrant a medical opinion.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/505596-how-to-adjust-calorie-needs-for-an-amputation/

I found this for you, it shows you how to work out your calorie needs.
  • Thanks everyone! helpful info. i originally though weight is weight when it comes to the calorie calculator
  • DottyBearP
    DottyBearP Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi all, I was just wondering what, if any, adjustments there are too calculating caloric needs using weight and height for someone missing both arms. Or does this even matter?
    Thanks

It will have a bit of an affect rather than just calculating based on height/weight because the caloric use of these missing tissues is less than other tissues but really all of the calculations are best guesses and a bit of trial and error is to be expected with everyone.

The metabolic requirements of skeletal muscle tissue like the arms is approximately 12 kcal/kg/day.

The kg will depend on where the arms are absent from. 1 arm from the shoulder downwards on average makes up 5% of body weight or from the elbow 2.3% body weight.

If you would like help with the calculations I'm happy to help and if I've worded this insensitively I am sorry!

Source:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980962/
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Shouldn't be any difference in caloric needs or burning calories. Might affect BMI, though.