NSV- Ran my first race! Half Marathon!

Options
amyx593
amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
I did it! I ran the Rock n Roll San Diego half marathon on 6/2/2013! I signed up for it in January and didn't start running until February. Prior to that, I hadn't run since high school! ..and that was only for gym class as a freshman.

When I started, I couldn't even jog half a mile without stopping. I couldn't find a happy pace. I would jog here and there, but found it difficult to stick with a training program. I started with a 20-week program that I found online... then tried a 16-week... then 12.. I just wasn't consistent enough. Finally, 8 weeks out, I told myself I HAVE to do this or I won't succeed on race day! I stuck with it those last 8 weeks and my training took me up to 10 miles. I was still really nervous for race day and 13.1 miles, but told myself that I'd finish whether I had to walk the whole thing, or even crawl!

I was in corral 22 out of a total of 26, with a predicted finish time of 3 hours. Incredibly, the race ended up being my most successful run of all! I finished at 02:29:58 with a pace of 11:27 per mile. I jogged non-stop except for 2 quick stops for gatorade and 1 stop for a GU gel (I carried water with me). I felt so proud and healthy as I crossed that finish line :)

If I can do it, YOU CAN TOO!

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Fantastic achievement. What next, FM? :smile:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Fantastic accomplishment!
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a fantastic accomplishment!
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    amazing!! a half marathong is my next goal! im already a runner so i dont know why im so scared...youre story just gave me that push!!
  • amyx593
    Options
    amazing!! a half marathong is my next goal! im already a runner so i dont know why im so scared...youre story just gave me that push!!

Get it girl! You WILL finish, just remember that and have FUN! The adrenaline will definitely get you going. I ran the first 5 miles without even thinking about running.... I was just excited and focused on the fact that the day had arrived and I was actually participating! What a great feeling :)
  • amyx593
    Options
    Thanks everyone! and good luck to you on your paths to fitness and health :)
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Amazing! Great job!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. This is a great NSV.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Well done! Hoping to do a half marathon at the end of the year myself :)
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    *HIGH FIVE*

great job!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is truly awesome!
  • tifjer
    tifjer Posts: 1
    Options
    Very cool...hoping to do one in Nov. same situation...CONGRATS!!!
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats - that is awesome!!! My first half marathon is in a couple of weeks. I've been doing pretty well sticking to my training, although knee pain has interrupted things in the last couple weeks. I got up to 10.25 miles this past weekend, and next weekend is my last scheduled long run, hoping for 11.25 to 11.75 miles. I was really freaking myself out that I wouldn't be able to do the 13.1 without building up my distance more during training but you have really given me hope!

Oh and your time is amazing...my goal is 02:30:00. Nice work!
  • CasiiD
    CasiiD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rock star awesome! You give me hope. I'm signed up for my first half in November.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Incredible victory!
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am just starting with the Zombie 5K training and one day hope to be able to do a half-marathon. Yay for you <<<high five>>>
  • bri0628
    bri0628 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Very awesome! Congrats on your accomplishment. Ran my first 5k in may and will be doing a half in October. Can't wait!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Damn girl! I have a friend who ran that one as her first full marathon. GREAT WORK! I'm working right now to train for a half and my goal is to do it by october/november. I started running again about a year and a half ago and stopped for a few months. I was questioning whether i'd be ready by fall to run a half (as i was on my 30- minute run for today) but you just showed me i could! I'm totally impressed and inspired. Keep it up and RUN A FULL!!!!!!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Sweet
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!