What's it like to have your body?

Options

Replies

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    basics:
    - i'm 5'5, and too tall standing next to my bf in my heels. but, i like my height. I like my shoulders & working on them a lot lately to get ready for tank season. the rest of me is where i have issues, sadly. but, i am working on that both physically & mentally.

capacity:
    - i consider myself a runner. i can run for miles & miles. i have yet to run an ultra. but, it's on my bucket list.
    - i am not very flexible. one year i was really into yoga, that helped but i can't seem find time for it anymore.
    - i dance well only when i am drinking. OR, at least i think i do. I am terrible at every sport & i am ok with that.

goals:
    - working on getting rid of 15 lbs but most importantly improve my strength. i can now do 15 pushups on my toes! I am so proud of that!

At 44, it's time for me to stop bashing myself as to why I don't have this ideal body that i think i should have. I am too old for that crap.

You are not terrible at every sport, because you are brilliant at the most awesome sport: long distance running! :) Sounds like we have some things in common. My husband says I dance like the girl in the Peanuts Christmas special - arms up waving enthusiastically back and forth. He is wrong. I am awesome (when I'm drinking ... at least I think so)! Friend me?

I dance like Elaine on "Seinfeld", but not on purpose. :'(
    I don't know why i don't consider running a sport?? in my mind I relate sports as an activity that includes a ball. smh.

my spirited dance always looks something like this..
    giphy.gif
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    wowsers - that's impressive. THAT is a sport. Drink - and do this - more often, says I. LOL!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Need a teammate for the 2017 Canadian death race? I'm in if so! I think we should have team MFP, have done sweet unis made. This place needs merch btw. I would totally rock an mfp racing Jersey.

You are on, buddy! You better check what you are signing up for. The five legs vary from 19KM to 38KM, and a good part of it is vertical. Hazards include mud holes and black bears. I was hoping to be the "slow kid" entry but if you join we might have to fight over the easiest leg. It's not called the death race for nothing. I suggest also that you volunteer with me in 2016 (August). Volunteers automatically get a spot for the following year's race.

http://www.canadiandeathrace.com/
  • AllyLalax
    Options
    5'8 122-125lbs, big muscle thighs from Horse riding and No boobs (32-25-33)! look like a boy if it wasnt for my long hair I think!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Basics: 5'6, 117lb 33 year old female around 17% bf. My weight is pretty evenly distributed, I'm not really sure what shape I would be considered....hourglass? I'm happy with my shape.

Capacity: NOT a runner. At all. I hate running. I'm a pretty good vollyeball player and play on teams all year round. Lifting weights is really the only exercise I do. My heavy is probably pretty light to most, currently 100lbs on squats, 155lbs deadlift, 80lbs bench. Gonna work on that, see blow.

Goals: Increase weight on my lifts, and I'd like more visible muscle. I've come to the conclusion that I really need to bulk. I'm terrified of it, but I'm working on getting my mind in the right place so I can start!
  • mavajo
    mavajo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    NOT a runner. At all. I hate running. [...] Lifting weights is really the only exercise I do.

#NoCardio Crew checking in. Hate cardio. Hate running.

The extent of my cardio is a 5 minute warm-up walking on the treadmill before lifting. Lifting is all the "cardio" I need.

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Beginning this journey for good, so it would be interesting to come back once I am further down the road to see what it was like.
    This body feels older than it should most days. Aching, stiff joints in the morning and lots of pops and crackles. Having to get myself down on the floor takes a lot of effort and I really try to avoid it since I think I might not make it back up! It does feel better once I get moving in the morning and not quite as old as when I get up or sit in one place for a long time. I try to get up and walk a bit at work, since I have a small office and it keeps me feeling confined a bit. I can still walk fairly far and at a good pace, but it needs to be done more often. I like lifting weights and plan to incorporate that as well. Chasing a 4 year old around requires more energy than I have some days and I really would love to be able to keep up with her.
    Many times, I do not feel as large as my clothes tell me I am. It surprises me sometimes to pick something out only to have to get a larger size. Not for long. I am 5'4" and 214lbs at this point and do not want to return to this again. My "highest weight ever" seems to keep creeping up and it is time to put a stop to it and put it in reverse to get to my lightest weight ever.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Pretty happy with mine, now. Working on fine tuning.

5'3", 117/118 lbs. Hourglass, still carrying maybe 2-3 pounds more fat on my stomach and lower body than I'd like.

Mostly I don't mind being short, but in the weight room it sucks. There're guys at my gym that are 6' 6"+ and leave fully loaded bars so far over my head I can only touch the bar with my fingertips when I stand on my tiptoes. Not. Cool.

I like distance running. I finished half-marathon training a couple of months ago - longest run was 14 miles. Of course then there was the holidays, and I got sick for a while. Then a relapse, freezing weather (for which I do not have running gear) and then out of town ... suffice it to say that I'll need to work my way back up.

I am a klutz that has excellent balance. So I'll trip and bump into things, but always catch myself before I fall.

Love horseback riding, haven't done it in ages. I'm afraid to get sucked back in and I can't afford it anymore. Used to compete all the time, and ride bareback for 3+ hours a day. Used to help train the youngsters. My favorites of all time were a pair of 2 yr old fillies I helped train until they were three, showed both all that year with great results, and eventually sold as 4-yr olds. Wish I'd kept the one, to be honest, she was such a blast to ride.

Goals. Get stronger. Get faster. Build more endurance. And on the way, get rid of that annoying little bit of fat that remains, just to prove I can. And, because once I do, it's back to bulking again :smile:

ETA: forgot. Ice skating. Good at that, too. Balance, again. Used to compete when I was a kid (nothing major), and I can still do most of the spins and one of the most basic jumps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cool thread idea. I'm okay with my body, even generally like it, because it's me, while seeing aspects I'd like to improve or wish I hadn't done to myself (loose skin).

I'm 5'3, 125, like my height (except in crowds), like wearing heels but am usually too comfort-oriented to do it. Traditionally have narrower shoulders but they seem to be getting broader (probably my imagination, but it's a longer term goal). Also have narrow wrists, long narrow fingers and toes, and very narrow hips, but am a 36 C. As a result I tend to hold fat right above my waist making me an apple and meaning that when I'm overweight at all I tend to a rectangular shape rather than an hourglass, sigh, that's something I actually used to mind far more than I do now. I have muscular, reasonably shapely legs, and would like more muscle on my arms (although I'm starting to see it).

My natural sports seem to be endurance. I love the long slow stuff--jumped right to Olympic tris rather than sprint back in the day because I figured I'd be better at it and am now training for a half ironman (although I'm going to do the two shorter distances too). My favorite run length is a half marathon, though, since I didn't love the one marathon I've done (my own fault for undertraining and I imagine I'll do another some day). Also love long bike rides and bike trips.

I'm starting to enjoy intense exercise more and am really getting into weights also, although I'm constantly impatient with myself for not being stronger.

Terrible at sports that require lots of coordination (or dancing) and always hated team sports because I get obsessed with how I'm letting others down and perform worse than I otherwise would. However, I also always assumed I was inflexible and when my PT (when I was rehabbing my knee) said it was the opposite, I got interested in working on that and am currently pushing myself and somewhat proud of my flexibility.

Other than the training goals mentioned above, I'd like to lose 5-10 more lbs, depending on how I look, but at this point I'm kind of okay with eating near maintenance, continuing with the work outs and weight training and seeing how things progress. I might get more into doing more of a deficit after a short break, however.

For me one of the benefits of gaining and then losing lots of weight (this is really from the first time, when I went from 180-120) is that I learned to focus more on what my body could do and was so happy at each lower weight that it erased my weirdness from a younger age where I thought I was fat at 130 or so. I tend to feel okay about my body (without being in denial about what could be improved, again) so long as I'm reasonably fit and exercising a lot--it's amazing what a difference that makes. Oddly, enough, this makes me more likely to get in amazing shape eventually than when I felt fat at 125-30 but was less active--then I thought of my body as what had been bequeathed to me and just was, whereas now it's about what it can do, but I also know I have a lot of control over certain things about it (and am more accepting of those I do not). Probably this is just age, too. ;-)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'8 instead if the 5'6 I wanted to be when I was younger. Its tall but not too tall. I find too many cute guys at my height though, and I prefer a man who is a bit taller and broader. I was a pear shape until I lost 40lbs. I'm slowly morphing into a super sexy hour glass shape. I still carry a lot of weight in my hips and thighs that needs to disappear yet! Currently at 187 and shooting between 150-160. I'm built solid, people don't mess with me. I grew up riding horse, so I've stared down angry 1000lbs animals....most people don't scare me lol.

I am into obstacle course racing so I am all about getting lean and endurance strength and cardio. I also ride horse and play soccer. I enjoy outdoorsy things and even could get into heavy lifting if it wasn't the opposite of my passion at the moment. I've always been athletic (just stocky aka fat) and can pick up sports very fast. I'm also competitive in nature.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Basics
    I'm 5'4". I've always been a pear and have weighed as high as 178. Even when I started MFP in June at 163, I had a 29 inch waist and 44 inch hips. I'm currently at 136 pounds. I've lifted all through my deficit so I'm happy with how I look. But I just can't stop losing from my upper body. My bra band is down to 30 inches, waist 27, and hips 39. Losing a bit of my pearness.

Capacity
    I'm strongish, or like to feel strong. I like power lifting/strength and do body building assistance work but don't love that as much. I hate cardio. My cardiovascular endurance is not great, yet I have zero cardio goals beyond getting some in for health and to help me eat more.

Goals
    I will not go lower than 130 pounds. At the moment, I'm in a deficit again, after telling myself I would really try a recomp. I gave it a week in maintenance before I freaked out. So it's back to losing fat the old fashioned way, in a deficit. Eventually I'd like to have my body fat % low enough to be able to bulk and gain muscle. I'd also like to compete in power lifting.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Need a teammate for the 2017 Canadian death race? I'm in if so! I think we should have team MFP, have done sweet unis made. This place needs merch btw. I would totally rock an mfp racing Jersey.

You are on, buddy! You better check what you are signing up for. The five legs vary from 19KM to 38KM, and a good part of it is vertical. Hazards include mud holes and black bears. I was hoping to be the "slow kid" entry but if you join we might have to fight over the easiest leg. It's not called the death race for nothing. I suggest also that you volunteer with me in 2016 (August). Volunteers automatically get a spot for the following year's race.

http://www.canadiandeathrace.com/

Oh I looked at the website before I opened my stupid mouth. Lol

I'll have to see about 2016. Alberta is a pretty far piece from where I live (tennessee).

That race looks bucket list worthy. Like get a tattoo commemorating it worthy (not a tattoo guy.)

Fun as hell in short.

We need to find three more mfpers stupid enough to play.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I hate my body. No matter the weight, it's not attractive (to men) My skin is not clear and not smooth, and there is nothing I can do about it, so I cannot show my arms, back, and legs (above the knees).

No "bikini body" for me.

However, after some weight fluctuation (I let myself go... Now close to 130 pounds for 5'4) I realized that I feel much better when I am thin, because I am not embarrassed when people look at me, I look somehow more feminine with a petite frame, and I am physically more comfortable - light and flexible.

Also, it is easier to find clothes that fit. It's something !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is this the alien body snatcher thread? Can we do trades?

Be careful what you wish for
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I hate my body. No matter the weight, it's not attractive (to men) My skin is not clear and not smooth, and there is nothing I can do about it, so I cannot show my arms, back, and legs (above the knees).

No "bikini body" for me.

How can you hate your body? It's where you live!
    I'm not trying to belittle your feelings or anything, it's just I'm genuinely shocked that people can hate their bodies.
    I have a friend who hates the way she looks and how 'gross' her body is. I'm just like, dude you have children, your body literally made those bodies, that's not gross. You quite literally grew two new people exclusively using nutrition from yourself, that's beautiful.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Basics: 5'6", 123lbs. Slight pear shape, long arms, small feet, thin hands. 30DD, small waist, flat tummy, decent bit of muscle on my legs, working on rounding out my butt and thickening up my once-scrawny arms and back.

I quite like my body if I'm honest, partly because I appreciate how much more confident I am in my own skin since I was a teenager; I used to be so shy and embarrassed. I'm proud of the aesthetic changes and how much more fit I am now too. I don't like the cellulite on my thighs that's still there, the threadveins (being pale can suck), and I don't like the fact I suffer badly with eczema from time to time. I do like having a bit of a curvy shape and big hips, even though 17 year old me thought I looked vile.

Capacity: I LOVE running. For a kid who hated PE an hour outside cross country running is a Saturday treat for me. I'm not built for speed but my endurance is decent. I lift weights at the gym (a mix of KBs, DBs and getting there with BB) which I find really hard as I'm not naturally very strong but it does me good.

Goals: Stick with the lifting and progress with it. Run a half marathon this year. Be brave and try some more group classes - I'm not a timid university student any more, I shouldn't be scared of strangers and not being able to keep up!

I try to focus on the positives. I might be clumsy, I can't dance for toffee, and I am absolutely rubbish at any flirtatious gestures whatsoever, but my body is the only one I have; I've put effort into treating it well and making it as good as I can, and at the end of the day it does almost everything I ask it to!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Is this the alien body snatcher thread? Can we do trades?

Be careful what you wish for

I just want to sell off what I've got sitting in the basement...

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    It's pretty awesome, tbh.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

No "bikini body" for me.

However, after some weight fluctuation (I let myself go... Now close to 130 pounds for 5'4) I realized that I feel much better when I am thin, because I am not embarrassed when people look at me, I look somehow more feminine with a petite frame, and I am physically more comfortable - light and flexible.

Also, it is easier to find clothes that fit. It's something !

My skin isn't smooth or clear either ("worst case of KP I've ever seen" - my derm). I'm sorry you feel this way about yourself. I hope one day you can see that you're so much more than just skin. xo