How to not eat due to stress...

Options
Good Morning! I have been somewhat plagued by my motivation for losing weight. Recently I have been gaining weight. I have lost motivation and kind of tossed my care for myself and for my body to the wind. I realized that I actually want to lose weight and what really matters to me is my graduation in May. I realized tonight that my levels of stress have been WAY to high. Tonight, I can't even sleep. My therapist pointed out a great point. She said that if I don't have an outlet for my stress that means that my outlet becomes food.
How do you handle stress and NOT eat in response?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Take walks, yoga, tai chi, learn some breathing techniques on youtube. Join a gym with a sauna. Check with a doctor to get some sleep meds for two weeks to get back into a sleep routine.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat and make it a goal to stay in your calories for the day. Eventually you realize that eating more is counterproductive because you have to pay for it with more exercise. And learn to exercise out your stress.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Find other treats instead of food. Listen to music, buy yourself some flowers, read a good book - something you enjoy,that relaxes you, but doesn't involve eating. Or go for a walk!
  • PoisonIvy088
    Options
    Exercise helps, but do something you enjoy. Also, replace the bad habit with a better one. So if you eat cake for stress, drink a warm tea or something instead. Or take a nice long bubble bath when you need to unwind.

Sometimes even practicing a hobby helps me out.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Meditation and exercise... Really the easiest and most successful.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Agree with Herrspoons. When having too much inner stress, spending those unresolved feelings on muscular stress as in physical activity is a good outlet.

Try different styles. When angry tap into it and let it power your workout even further than normally. Mild stress, calmer stuff like yoga etc. Find what works for you.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If I'm stressed and I can't actively do something about whatever's stressing me out, I do something to take my mind off it, usually play video games. I've never found exercise helps me (in fact exercise is one of the few things that can make me properly stressed!) but you have to find what helps you.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Running helps me. Yoga stretches are nice if you don't want to work yourself up i.e. before bed, as I find they help by making me focus on getting the poses right and my body naturally seems to relax. I read a book, paint my nails, call someone; anything to keep you busy for half an hour then usually the compulsion will have passed.

I can get myself quite stressed out too, and 3 of my friends gave me pieces of advice which really helped.

1. When you're running over stuff in your brain, take massive breath in and let it out slowly and forcefully, and think about pushing all of the negative thoughts away and shutting them off. They've had enough time and energy. It sounds silly but it's helped me get to sleep quite a few times!

2. A Polish friend told me a brilliant saying - "not my circus, not my monkeys!". Basically, not my problem, why would I stress about it? Sounds nonsensical but it made me laugh.

3. 'If it can be fixed, there's no need to worry. If it can't be fixed, why worry now?'
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm not a stress eater, (stress makes me twitchy and nauseated, eating on top of it makes me vomit). However because it makes me twitchy (think energizer bunny on crack) physical activity is the only thing that helps me (I prefer running, as I don't have to concentrate and can let my mind wander without maiming myself). I've tried other things like yoga, hot baths (or showers), hobbies, etc, but with no success. Running works best for me, if I can't run then housework is the next best option.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not a stress eater, either - stress upsets my stomach. I also get antsy when I'm stressed (or bored, or angry, or lonely - ha ha ha) and anything that gets me out is helpful. If I can't find a workout class soon (and I have a citywide membership to the Y), shopping, going for coffee at Starbucks are good alternatives.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Activity. The only thing for me that cuts stress and then the hunger is very vigorous activity. So if I've had a hard day at work, I come home and run as fast as I can for a few minutes/ walk / run/ walk until my brain is good, and then...voila! no longer hungry
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Exercising helps me to minimize stress.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise helps me. Also; singing! I'm in a gospel choir and I find the rehearsals are a great stress relief. It regulates breathing and takes my mind off my worries for a few hours. It's also impossible to sing and eat at the same time ;)
  • engr57
    engr57 Posts: 61
    Options
    all is well :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, doing some sort of physical activity helps with my stress. My workout schedule has me working out 6 days a week, so that helps. On my rest day, I'll go for a walk or do some extra stretching if I'm feeling stressed. However, since adding regular exercise, I feel a lot less stressed in general.

Another option is to try adding in a new relaxing ritual. Drinking some tea and reading a book, or taking a nice bath with some music are two options that popped instantly into my head. I would try a two pronged approach: making sure you're getting in more activity, but also making sure you take some "me" time to relax. Both are important.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise helps me. Also; singing! I'm in a gospel choir and I find the rehearsals are a great stress relief. It regulates breathing and takes my mind off my worries for a few hours. It's also impossible to sing and eat at the same time ;)

This is so true for me too (hence the "sing" in my user name). I love to sing and it relaxes me and gives me a boost. I know there's a huge difference in my mood when we don't have choir.

OP: The way to reduce stress eating is by reducing your stress levels in general. After that, a little bit of willpower goes a long way. It's easier to exert your willpower over stress eating when you don't find yourself in that position as often.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Tea. Exercise helps a lot..but sometimes I just don't feel like it while stressed. If I want to snack..i drink tea
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Take walks, yoga, tai chi, learn some breathing techniques on youtube. Join a gym with a sauna. Check with a doctor to get some sleep meds for two weeks to get back into a sleep routine.
    I like these. Breathing techniques are so easy and they work anywhere. Try Chamomile tea at bedtime.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like to have a long, hot, deep bath with some scented oils or salts or creme lotion with a good book or a couple of magazines.