Eating after working out

Options
I have heard mixed reviews on this and just wanted to see what all thought. I do H.I.I.T training at 5am and the trainers stress eating before and after the workout. I realized before doesn't do well for me so stopped but they had said its so essential to eat within 30 minutes after and it needs to be at least 25g of protien because of some protein synthesis .. i didn't really understand. I don't like eating right after , i like to relax and then sit and enjoy.. is there truely a benefit of eating right after and who understands that whole protien thing they speak of.

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you're hungry after working out, eat. If not, don't. It honestly isn't going to make a difference. Focus on your daily nutrition goals instead.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Here is the order of importance I generally go by.
    ***1 being MOST important 6 being least, still a factor but least none the less***

1. Adherence
    2. Energy balance
    3. Macronutrients
    4. Micronutirients
    5. Nutrient timing
    6. Supplements
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I always eat 1 to 2 hours after workout Never before.. I like to work out "fasted" but if you are lifting, etc.. get your carbs in before the workout..

I load up on protein after my workout and I am fine till dinner. My protein snack/meal after workout is around 30 - 50 but most times a lot more and very filling!

Protein after helps you recover after workout and helps maintain muscle mass when losing weight... There is ALOT of information on the internet, but you have to do what is best for you... not eating afterwards is a personal choice.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I can see their point in that it is ok to eat after a HIIT workout. However, you don't need to eat something that has 25 grams or more of protein.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I always eat 1 to 2 hours after workout Never before.. I like to work out "fasted" but if you are lifting, etc.. get your carbs in before the workout..

I load up on protein after my workout and I am fine till dinner. My protein snack/meal after workout is around 30 - 50 but most times a lot more and very filling!

Protein after helps you recover after workout and helps maintain muscle mass when losing weight... There is ALOT of information on the internet, but you have to do what is best for you... not eating afterwards is a personal choice.

True. That said, if your diet has adequate protein there will be plenty of amino acids in your system for repair. No need to worry about eating directly after.
  • a05jwal
    a05jwal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback, barely understood the last comment, but what I get from everyone is eat when you are hungry/ focus on entire day nutrition and the whole concept of eating right before and after doesn't really matter.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    with the timing of my workouts, im never far from a meal so its unusual for me to eat anything right after. like this morning i had breakfast at 8, im going to the gym at 10, and byt the time i get back, it will be lunch.

during the week, when i go to the gym in the afternoons, its around 3 - so when i get home, its time to start making dinner.

i guess it all depends on your daily schedule - if we didnt eat dinner till 7 or 8, id probably eat a snack when i got home lol