Hypo thyroid

Options
anyone out there with hypo thyroid / thyroid disease? Did you find it difficult to get in good shape? Slower than average?

Replies

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It sucks. Still waiting on meds and a endocrinologist appointment.

That being said, while it is hard and your calories are lower. I've heard if your meds are optimal it is possible to Iose. This part about meds I have no first hand knowledge of. Only rumors of it.

It took me 2 years to lose 55 pounds, and while I haven't been able to lose more, due to going undiagnosed, I have kept the weight off for the last 2 years.

My maintenance calories are 1300 to 1450. Any higher and I gain easily. Very easily.

Good luck
  • askelly35
    askelly35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on thyroid meds for over ten years. As I've gotten older it is getting more and more difficult to lose any weight - it feels impossible right now. I have 10-15 pounds to lose and struggling very much. Since Jan 1st I have only lost maybe two pounds. I weigh 122 so losing weight when you don't have too too much to lose is very difficult. Eating 1200 cals a day makes for a very small deficit. So weight loss is going to take forever...
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ive been on synthroid meds since I was 13; so for 17 years now, It deffinatly effected me. I immediately put on weight once I started taking it and it has taken me years to get to a healthy weight. It is a lot harder to lose weight, and if your meds are the wrong dose you will deffinately know it by how you feel. I always feels sluggish...even when my test results say that my meds are correct. I agree eating 1200 cals a day is very tough, im in the same boat. I dont have much more to lose, but these last few pounds dont want to come off.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep. I can lose weight, but it seems to take so much longer than it used to before my thyroid started acting up. And I am on meds and they say my levels are fine, but I still feel really fatigued a lot of the time, so I basically feel like I'm forcing myself to exercise while exhausted pretty often. Sucks.
  • NiftyPineapple914
    NiftyPineapple914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my levels are all borderline, so ive researched and now add kelp sprinkles to food for the iodine. looking forward to getting levels retested in a few months.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost weight slowly, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When you take your thyroid medication, what it is doing is replacing what your body is not getting naturally. So really its putting you right where your body should be. As long as your taking your medications right and seeing your doctor on a regular basis then it should not be any different then someone without a thyroid problem. I have had hypothyroidism for over 12 years. I have found that when I am eating right and exercising, my thyroid levels are better than when I am heavier. Actually, my medications have gone down since I've lost weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My actual RMR is about 150 calories lower than the test said it should be. Maintenance is about 200 calories lower. For me, eating more protein (a lot more protein, most days) and strength training has made a big difference. As has HIIT training.

It's absolutely possible to lose weight and be in great shape. At 44, I weigh only 5 pounds more than I did in high school. And I'm in way better shape! After I lost the 85-ish pounds of "thyroid weight." :wink:
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had cancer and had half of my thyroid removed, and we're thinking the remaining half is cancerous also and is not producing as it should. I had the first half removed in 2013, revamped my entire lifestyle after surgery, and dropped 35 pound in 4 months. It can be done. My calorie count is lower than non-compromised individuals, but once you figure out your numbers and get your meds right, it's no different than anyone else.