When you get there and you're happy, do you...

still have to keep changing your fitness routine up? For example - I run and I lift. When my body is where I'm happy with it (lean, defined muscle, but not looking to bulk) -- will I be able to continue with the same lifting routine and maintain the desired physique? On occasion I read things about needing to change your exercise program because your body gets too used to it, and it becomes less effective. Is this true even after you reach your happy zone? Just curious...I have a ways to go still and I'm sure I'll always find something to improve on, but it's sort of a general question. I like my routine now, it feels workable.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    If you want further progress, you need to change. If you're happy where you are, you can keep doing what you're doing. Your body "gets used to" an activity by no longer adapting, because it's no longer being challenged.

For instance, if you reach the point where you can run 30 minutes, three times a week, at the same speed, you will continue to burn the same amount of energy if you do that, but you won't gain any more endurance or speed. You won't lose anything. If you're content with that, stick with it.

However, there is some risk of creating muscular imbalances, if you do an activity that exercises some muscles but not complementary ones (e.g. having triceps that are a lot stronger than your biceps). In some cases, those can lead to injury; some cyclists' and runners' knee problems are related to imbalance. Weightlifters are often advised to switch up their routines once in a while for that reason; manuals like Bill Pearl's Getting Stronger have many different exercises for the same muscle group for that reason (as well as to avoid boredom).
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I see...I'm doing strong lifts 5x5, seems to cover a pretty broad spectrum of muscular groups. In the winter I'm almost always on a treadmill but in the summer I also bike a lot. So hopefully I can just continue along merry little way :)

Thanks for your response!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I think there is benefit for changing up your plan every so often. If for not other reason that I get bored doing the same thing over and over again. I am more likely to stick with something if it is changing and keeps my interest.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I think there is benefit for changing up your plan every so often. If for not other reason that I get bored doing the same thing over and over again. I am more likely to stick with something if it is changing and keeps my interest.

I agree with this. It is important to make changes to your routine, but that doesn't mean drastically (if all you really want to do is maintain). Example: since you lift, always do the lifts that you like and that challenge you and throw in a few new and different ones here and there. Increase weights as often as possible, too. It really does help with the boredom factor as well.

I mean, most days I'm fine with my workout routines, but every now and then I get a little bored. Making a few changes here and there always helps.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I don't plan to change anything in the near future - the lifting is relatively new to me. I've been running for many moons, though. I was just curious about what people think/do when they've reached where they want to be. I read a book recently that was a compilation of interviews of people who are some of the happiest and most at peace - and how they do it. One of the interviewees was an old man (80-90 years old, can't remember exactly) and one of the top things on his list to keep him feeling good was getting up every single day at 5am to exercise. I started to wonder if he just sort of does the same stuff or if he's changed it up frequently over time. It didn't go into that because the overall story was more about mental health than physical health. Although, exercise was a recurring theme for each of the people. Good book - just got the wheels turning, that's all.