Keto Diet. To do or not to do?

Options
I have heard all these rave reviews about the Keto diet. Does it really work and is it an easy "diet" to follow. I typically don't do "dieting" because it is temporary and doesn't work, but the hubby is trying to lose weight too and this Seems like the only diet so far that he would be willing to do. Any tips or opinions on this diet?

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it works, but comes at a price.

I know many military men who use it before getting taped. As soon as they start eating carbs again, all the weight comes right back.

If you are looking for long term weight loss and maintenance, I suggest a diet that is my sustainable.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like it. Some people don't. I like meat so I find the foods easy (ethically I'm not so happy about it, but I rank higher on my priority list than cows). It isn't cheap, though. And when possible I buy antibiotic and hormone free beef (grassfed is a rare treat) so it costs even more. I stay away from processed crap like lunchmeat and bacon and any meat injected with anything. I don't do the low carb bars or frozen dinners, either. So my experience may be more costly than some. $$$

If you try it you need to give it at least two weeks, preferably four, because the transition period can be pretty blech for some people. Read up on low carb flu and such.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The big question is can you give up carbs for the rest of your life? Personally, i couldnt.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    I love keto and have found it to be a very sustainable lifestyle. I have lost over 100 pounds on keto in 11 months. However, to each their own. I lost 70 pounds pre-keto by just restricting calories and eating a mostly vegetarian diet. To lose weight, what matters is eating below maintenance. You can do that on mostly any "diet." Keto works for me because it helps to keep me sated longer which means I snack less. I recommend you hop onto the FAQ at reddit.com/r/keto and learn some more. Today is Photo Friday and there are always good inspirational stories on those days.

Once I hit my goal weight, I will continue keto as I have more energy and feel less mentally cloudy without eating carbs.
  • havingfunnow
    havingfunnow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi;
    Ketogenic living/low carbohydrate high fat is sustainable. As someone stated above, it keeps you satiated. I have dieted before but always gained the weight back because I was hungry. This is not the case with keto living.
    A good place to start would be to read: The Art and Science of low carbohydrate living by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney. There is information online as well...I like the dietdoctor. Stephanie Person on youtube also.
    Be sure you read lots to learn about it and let your doctor know. My lab work was the best ever since I began this lifestyle. Much mainstream though, think it's nuts. My doctor is supportive. Sweden is far ahead in embracing this lifestyle. Good luck!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    It works if you want to stick with it. You still have to keep track of your calories, but for most people they have no problem staying under, because they don't get hungry or have cravings nearly as often. The idea that you "gain it all back" as soon as you go off it is due to people who go off it and go back to eating the way they did when they were 100 lbs heavier. No matter how you lose, you can't just go back to "normal" if normal is what made you fat in the first place.