Confused about net calories

Options
Okay, I'm really confused about net calories. What number should I aim for?

My calorie goal is 1570, BMR is 1720, and I burn on average between 800-1000 daily in exercise. I don't get a rest day because of my horse so there is always manual labor there but I try to rest on Sunday. I struggle getting to 1570 calories because I'm not hungry since I eat every two hours.

Please help.

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating every two hours? Try eating more less often.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you want to use MFP as it was designed to work, your net calories at the end of the day should be 1570. This means you would be eating 2370-2570 calories per day.

If you're having a hard time eating that many calories, it's really easy to bump up your intake with some calorie-dense foods that will give you more calories without filling you up. Look for nuts, nut butter, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, olive oils, dark chocolate, etc. It's pretty easy to increase each meal by just a few hundred calories if you plan your meals a little better.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal less than your BMR? How are you measuring your 800-1000 calorie burn?

Figure out your TDEE and subtract 20%. Or plug your info into MFP and eat your exercise calories back. Don't do both.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There is already a calorie deficit built in so when you burn so many calories per day, you're making that deficit even higher and if you don't eat back enough you may not be getting enough nutrients to support that activity.

Can't see your diary so I'll give some generic advice... In order to boost your calorie intake without eating a ton more food, go for "real" food and don't worry too much about the light, diet or low/no fat foods (unless you need to for medical reasons). Eat calorie dense foods like eggs, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avacado, bananas, even dark chocolate. A lot of people like protein shakes because they're not super filling but provide the needed calories and protein.

FYI, nothing wrong with eating every two hours - I'm a grazer too.
  • thedietguru
    Options
    Okay, I'm really confused about net calories. What number should I aim for?

My calorie goal is 1570, BMR is 1720, and I burn on average between 800-1000 daily in exercise. I don't get a rest day because of my horse so there is always manual labor there but I try to rest on Sunday. I struggle getting to 1570 calories because I'm not hungry since I eat every two hours.

Please help.

BMR = 1720. Burning 1000 more means your TDEE equals 2720. You should be eating around 2200 - 2400 to start with and follow diannethegeek's advice on what to eat.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ITT people looking to lose weight are told to eat calorie dense foods, and others are praising their responses. What a joke this forum is.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating every two hours? Try eating more less often.

I'm eating every two hours with the advice of my physician and what my nutritionist said when I was seeing her.