A way to prevent Diabetes?

Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Interesting. In this case, it's "A modest reduction in dietary carbohydrate has beneficial effects on body composition, fat distribution, and glucose metabolism. " So might be helpful to people who don't want to go all the way into the land of ketosis or even anywhere near it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I wish they would define things like "modest" though. I also wish the medical community where I lived would read some of these studies so they'll stop suggesting low fat along with low carb to everyone just because they are labeled "diabetic." This diet recommended is difficult for a lot of diabetics I've spoken to and no, I have no studies. I just know that what the experts, meaning my doctors and nutritionist (the only one covered by my insurance and whom I know longer see) recommend had me recycling the same 5 or 10 pounds for years. This is why I've given up "modest carb reduction" and "carbs in moderation" and gone more along the lines of Atkins or Paleo, though I don't exactly subscribe to either.

I really, really wish they'd do a few real studies on the dawn phenomenon. Its so frustrating.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I wish they would define things like "modest" though. I also wish the medical community where I lived would read some of these studies so they'll stop suggesting low fat along with low carb to everyone just because they are labeled "diabetic." This diet recommended is difficult for a lot of diabetics I've spoken to and no, I have no studies. I just know that what the experts, meaning my doctors and nutritionist (the only one covered by my insurance and whom I know longer see) recommend had me recycling the same 5 or 10 pounds for years. This is why I've given up "modest carb reduction" and "carbs in moderation" and gone more along the lines of Atkins or Paleo, though I don't exactly subscribe to either.

I really, really wish they'd do a few real studies on the dawn phenomenon. Its so frustrating.

I agree. Thankfully, at least the new dietary guidelines (check the other thread someone made) aren't going off as bad on fat as they used to.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I agree, and am grateful, that there seems to be a changing trend in how fat is viewed. I grew up with fat and eggs being "unhealthy" foods and even though I now know its hogwash I still get nervous to see the fat totals climbing lol.