Real Foods may improve health? Some evidence.

Options
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n8/full/ejcn20094a.html

This link is actually the full text article - Paleo health benefits, controlling for weight loss.

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    "All of the initial testings were repeated for days 15 to 17, and the results for days −2 to 0 and 15 to 17 were averaged."

"Eleven participants enrolled in this study; two were medical students and declined to continue because of the amount of time required for the study procedures. Nine participants (six male, three female; age: 38±12 years, body mass index: 27.8±2.4 kg/m2) completed the study. "

A very short study with a very very small number of participants. Don't think we can draw too many meaningful conclusions.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'll stick with my chocolate, thanks.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Apart from the unicorn steaks, all my food is real.

I think.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Holographic_Meatloaf.jpg
    Real foods are overrated. I prefer my foods holographic.
  • eveedance
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    "All of the initial testings were repeated for days 15 to 17, and the results for days −2 to 0 and 15 to 17 were averaged."

"Eleven participants enrolled in this study; two were medical students and declined to continue because of the amount of time required for the study procedures. Nine participants (six male, three female; age: 38±12 years, body mass index: 27.8±2.4 kg/m2) completed the study. "

A very short study with a very very small number of participants. Don't think we can draw too many meaningful conclusions.

I hear you. It's just the overall picture that is interesting. That's why I called it "some" evidence. It's got limitations. Just food for thought.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    eveedance wrote: »

This link is actually the full text article - Paleo health benefits, controlling for weight loss.
    Many diets have similar effects, the med diet comes to mind but the paleo was better in blood markers, insulin sensitivity and glucose levels for the few RCT I've read. All the participants showed similar results, which does have some value and in the absence of weight loss, which is important as well. Nothing new though, these types of low carb studies are pretty consistent in showing similar results. Not really all about "real" whole food but when low carbing quite a bit of processed foods will be decreased by default.

• eveedance
    Options
    eveedance wrote: »

Many diets have similar effects, the med diet comes to mind but the paleo was better in blood markers, insulin sensitivity and glucose levels for the few RCT I've read. All the participants showed similar results, which does have some value and in the absence of weight loss, which is important as well. Nothing new though, these types of low carb studies are pretty consistent in showing similar results. Not really all about "real" whole food but when low carbing quite a bit of processed foods will be decreased by default.

Agreed. And I would have articulated it the same way... except I had to use fewer words for the title of the thread. I figured "real food" would light a smaller fire than say.... "clean eating" LOL I dunno! Just a hunch!
  • eveedance
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Apart from the unicorn steaks, all my food is real.

I think.

Is the unicorn grass fed and finished? If it is, let me know where I can get some.
  • eveedance
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'll stick with my chocolate, thanks.

Hey, chocolate is one non-whole food I make room for too! I did find studies that show health benefits in high precentage chocolate, yet I don't think you'd find a cacao bar just sitting there in the wild. That's why I don't like these strict "camps" and dieting definitions. the overall trend is probably more important.