Breastfeeding and counting calories/macros

Options
So because I just had a baby via surrogacy - I am not actually breastfeeding but instead am pumping for a sick, premature infant milkbank. It requires round the clock dedication, and is honestly more restrictive than actually being pregnant!
I would like to start getting back in shape now that I am 3 weeks post-partum and have been given the clearance from my doctor to resume any dieting/exercise I was doing prior to being pregnant. Problem is, making milk is a lot of work! It is said that for every ounce produced - it burns 20 calories. I make about 50oz/24hr period. That is over 1000 calories burned just in breast pumping.
So where do I set my goals? My macros? I want to start logging again but I can't just use my old numbers because now eating 1800 calories a day will literally have me starving.

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Use the old numbers, then under breakfast log breastfeeding, it will give you several options, select exclusively breastfeeding and it will add 500 calories to your day. If you see a drop in milk production add 100 calories (you can edit the breastfeeding entry) at a time until your production is back to normal.
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am currently breastfeeding and the NHS claims that I will be burning 500 calories a day so I add that amount on as an exercise. I have set a goal of 2lbs a week and so far I have lost 9lbs in 28 days :D

Best of luck to you and hopefully someone will be able to offer your some more advice xx
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm BFing my 7 week old and give myself 500 calories per day, like others have mentioned. I would set your weight loss goal lower, like .5 to 1 pound a week. You don't want to lose weight too quickly when BFing or you risk your milk supply dropping. I'm eating about 2000 calories a day now (more when I work out) and losing easily. There's some trial and error though so you want to make adjustments to your calories as you see how much weight you lose.

Good for you for pumping!! That is such a huge commitment.