A guy who reverses diabetes in real life. In lots of people.

Options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLoaVNQ3rc&feature=youtu.be

If injecting insulin isn't something you enjoy, reversing can be accomplished with Surgery, Low cal or low carb.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    cite actual science, or don't spam.
  • eveedance
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

To clarify, this is a video of an internist presenting at medical grand rounds in a hospital. While I am not citing science, he is. He walks you through some of the relevant literature. And he presents actual cases of patients he treated. Some people could find that helpful.

I never declared that this post itself was a citation. The majority of posts are not, nor are they required to be.

Nobody says "cite actual science" when a gif is posted. And I'm glad. b/c many of the gifs are damn funny and we can't be minimizing those. This doesn't have comedic value, but it does give you a sneek peek into what doctors learn in hospitals.

This video will actually make many people happy - those in the low calorie camp and those in the low carb camp. I like to think I'm in both.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    eveedance wrote: »

To clarify, this is a video of an internist presenting at medical grand rounds in a hospital. While I am not citing science, he is. He walks you through some of the relevant literature. And he presents actual cases of patients he treated. Some people could find that helpful.

I never declared that this post itself was a citation. The majority of posts are not, nor are they required to be.

Nobody says "cite actual science" when a gif is posted. And I'm glad. b/c many of the gifs are damn funny and we can't be minimizing those. This doesn't have comedic value, but it does give you a sneek peek into what doctors learn in hospitals.

This video will actually make many people happy - those in the low calorie camp and those in the low carb camp. I like to think I'm in both.

Looks like if someone has normal glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity then not much of a problem. Why are to trying to extrapolate all your posts to low carb?
    Did you read the comments from the presenter. Just to add other modern populations like traditional okiawans, turkisenta and ewe tribe get over 80% of their diet from carbs.
    " Absolutely. The problem is insulin, not calories, not carbohydrates, not animal protein. The Kitavan study showed that eating a high unrefined carbohydrate diet can still lead to very low insulin levels"
  • eveedance
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Looks like if someone has normal glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity then not much of a problem. Why are to trying to extrapolate all your posts to low carb?
    Did you read the comments from the presenter. Just to add other modern populations like traditional okiawans, turkisenta and ewe tribe get over 80% of their diet from carbs.
    " Absolutely. The problem is insulin, not calories, not carbohydrates, not animal protein. The Kitavan study showed that eating a high unrefined carbohydrate diet can still lead to very low insulin levels"

I just posted on the low carb angle today. I'm actually not just all about the low carb - I just saw some recent threads on MFP and just posted in response. Certain people do have different carb tolerances. Just because there is SOME wisdom to be gleaned from it I decided to contribute with some articles, but you make a very good point. Cellular carbohydrates (unrefined carbs) have been discussed as potentially better alternatives than dense acellular carbohydrates when it comes to overall insulin control. And it's the cellular carbs that have existed for millions of years. The acellular carbs have been around for much less. As individual molecules of course, carbs are carbs, but how they are packaged (or not packaged) counts a lot, certainly when it comes to insulin.

And your point also emphasizes that even when it comes to whole food diets, there isn't one perfect diet - because geographically, diets varied in the wild. We are quite adaptable - to a point (but that's another discussion).
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Humans are the most adaptable creatures on the planet, other than fish and chamelions. Its why we are at the top of the food chain and why we exist today.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

It's not about how someone utilizes carbs it's about blood sugar levels and removing sugar in the blood and lowering blood glucose levels in people that have the disease by reducing the sugars consumed, which by default increases insulin sensitivity and improves many health markers in general, which reduces or removes injection therapy . This science has been around for quite a while but I suspect injecting insulin will continue to be the cornerstone for years to come, just a guess.

• eveedance
    Options

And would a non-diabetic person (with as you say normal glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity) benefit from this? Maybe, maybe not. But the point I take away from this is that by going easy on carbs and calories (and dampening insulin), you are actually making the cure the prevention. For me it's like insurance. So you really never have to worry about your glucose tolerance or insulin sensitivity getting compromised down the road even if it is fine now. Regardless if your genes predispose you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, I love lectures on diabetes (in part because many of my family members are now afflicted and no, they weren't obese). Listening now.