Advice for getting over a plateau

Options

Replies

• JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Where did you come up with your numbers? They seem a bit high to me. I am a male working out hard daily and I still am only at 1400 a day.
  • s9foster
    s9foster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer. She said I need fuel for performance in workouts. Push harder, lift more, and you burn more calories
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Where did you come up with your numbers? They seem a bit high to me. I am a male working out hard daily and I still am only at 1400 a day.

Well, where did you come up with your numbers? That seems low.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    s9foster wrote: »
    My personal trainer. She said I need fuel for performance in workouts. Push harder, lift more, and you burn more calories

She is a trained professional but it seems too high to me. Your goal is apparently to lose weight, not really to bulk up... so you need fewer calories than you burn.

Looking at your ideal weight and your BMR, I came up with 1500 calories per day for you. I would suggest looking into what yours should be.

Another helpful thing for me is to carb cycle. On the days I do heavy lifting to failure I eat more. I will take my creatine and protein bar about an hour before my workout. On my cardio days I limit the carbs more.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks for caring.
  • s9foster
    Options

My trainer suggested 1600 to 1800 calories per day based on my workouts. So Jim says eat less and arditarose says eat more? Guess I can try both.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

My trainer suggested 1600 to 1800 calories per day based on my workouts. So Jim says eat less and arditarose says eat more? Guess I can try both.

I did not tell you to eat more. You're eating at maintenance.
  • s9foster
    Options

I did not tell you to eat more. You're eating at maintenance.
    Gotcha.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options

I did not say eat less, I said the calories your trainer gave you are for bulking up, not losing weight. Several people including Ms Rose have said if you maintained your weight for 3 months then you are eating maintenance calories.

Also, your numbers keep changing. First you said 1800-1900 and now you are saying 1600-1800. Im not picking on you, but like I said please calculate what your numbers should be.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That's less than what i eat... I'm 5"8 140lbs, no exercise.

• s9foster
    Options

She is a trained professional but it seems too high to me. Your goal is apparently to lose weight, not really to bulk up... so you need fewer calories than you burn.

Looking at your ideal weight and your BMR, I came up with 1500 calories per day for you. I would suggest looking into what yours should be.

Another helpful thing for me is to carb cycle. On the days I do heavy lifting to failure I eat more. I will take my creatine and protein bar about an hour before my workout. On my cardio days I limit the carbs more.

Thanks. May try that. Goal is to decrease body fat. The scale. .. ugh.. that thing is confusing.
  • s9foster
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice, suggestions, and thoughts.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm a male that works out/lifts about 4-5 times a week for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours a days. Some days I throw cardio in. Friday I ride my mountain bike to work which is 35 minute ride each way at a rate where my heart rate is around 135 average and can get up to 160 in some parts. I ride on Saturdays for 1 3/4 hours up and down hills for over 1k calories and I still am lucky to eat 1400 calories. Don't feel I need more and feel just fine with these numbers. Today I'm at over 1800 cause I splurged and feel it's too much food. If I ate 1800 everyday may loss would be very very slow even with all this exercise...
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Okay well since all these males are all up in here acting like your calories are crazy high (they aren't, theres are low). Here's my stats for science.

Prior to my injury, I would do my regular day to day activity lift 3x a week and maybe walk to the park for about 30 minutes a day and I MAINTAINED my weight on 2300 calories at 5'3" 120 lbs.

No, OP 's goal doesn't seem excessive, assuming she reigns in logging.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I'm a male that works out/lifts about 4-5 times a week for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours a days. Some days I throw cardio in. Friday I ride my mountain bike to work which is 35 minute ride each way at a rate where my heart rate is around 135 average and can get up to 160 in some parts. I ride on Saturdays for 1 3/4 hours up and down hills for over 1k calories and I still am lucky to eat 1400 calories. Don't feel I need more and feel just fine with these numbers. Today I'm at over 1800 cause I splurged and feel it's too much food. If I ate 1800 everyday may loss would be very very slow even with all this exercise...

Really? I lost 53 lbs eating a net of 1900, as a short female.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Everything has been stalled for about 3 months.

You're eating at maintenance, probably from underestimating calories in and/or calories burned. It's easy to do.

Do you weigh your food?

Log everything you eat and do you own research to ensure you are using correct entries?

If you eat exercise calories back, where do you get the estimates from? MFP, internet sources, and machines great overestimate burns.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you still have yet to answer the most important question ….do you weight all your solid foods with a food scale??????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

LOL

"the road to skinny fat"...