Large belly area

Options
So I am new to all of this...on January 12th I decided it was time to change my life! I have been eating well and trying to work out about 3 times a week (until the weather gets better)! I am down almost 14 pounds in a month! I need some advice though because I have a very short torso area and my belly appears to be very large. I need advice on how to get rid of it! My favorite work out is getting on the treadmill and chugging away, or even hopping on the stationary bike. If you have any advice, tips, or methods please feel free to help me out!

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there's no spot reduction. As you lose weight, fat is predisposed by genetics on where it comes off from. So, isolation exercises may work the area underneath but won't rid it of fat.

I totally feel you though, when I started, fat loss came off everywhere BUT my stomach, which gave the optical illusion that my stomach was bigger by comparison.

Best thing you can do is get a good amount of protein and continue to lose weight, remember weight loss slows as you get closer to goal and you want it to do so when you're about 50 or so from goal, with less to lose, there's more likely to jeopardize muscle along with fat and muscle will help leave you leaner at goal.

Just keep it up and you'll see the fruits of your effort. =)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, and read @usmcmp‌ 's thread "So you want a nice stomach" pinned at the top of this section.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat less, move more, and read @usmcmp‌ 's thread "So you want a nice stomach" pinned at the top of this section.

yep yep
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Lose fat ==> Lose belly.

Short of surgery / liposuction, there's really no other effective way.

Start losing fat and it will eventually start shrinking the belly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're off to a good start. Just keep doing what you're doing and as you lose the fat, the belly will go with it.
  • melval888
    melval888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing a belt by Golds Gym to help while i lose weight. Its only $10-15 at Walmart. Look on YouTube, there is a lot of videos. There is a smaller belt for about $6 too. Good luck to both of us
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Incorporate some kind of core work - yoga, pilates, crunches, etc - to help build the muscles in the belly. You won't start to see them till the weight comes off there but you'll be able to feel them! There is no way to force the body to shed fat in a certain spot so you just have to keep chugging along. You can do it :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    melval888 wrote: »
    I have been wearing a belt by Golds Gym to help while i lose weight. Its only $10-15 at Walmart. Look on YouTube, there is a lot of videos. There is a smaller belt for about $6 too. Good luck to both of us

A slimming belt? It may help you lose some water weight in that area, which you will put back on when you stop wearing it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Erm... no. This won't do anything at all except drain your bank account of about $10-15 bucks.

You can wear it under your clothes like Spanx - less expensive - but it's not going to do anything for fat loss, sorry.

• JacqueLiveOTB
    JacqueLiveOTB Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would recommend to keep up with what you are doing, increase your protein intake with a good source of protein, add a bit of weight training and make sure you are drinking half your body weight in oz of water per day.

So I am new to all of this...on January 12th I decided it was time to change my life! I have been eating well and trying to work out about 3 times a week (until the weather gets better)! I am down almost 14 pounds in a month! I need some advice though because I have a very short torso area and my belly appears to be very large. I need advice on how to get rid of it! My favorite work out is getting on the treadmill and chugging away, or even hopping on the stationary bike. If you have any advice, tips, or methods please feel free to help me out!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

why?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@melval888‌ I'm curious to know how this belt has helped you lose weight? Are you talking actual inches or just fluid?

• usmcmp
    Options

@melval888‌ I'm curious to know how this belt has helped you lose weight? Are you talking actual inches or just fluid?

Anything she's lost isn't fat, so does it matter?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Anything she's lost isn't fat, so does it matter?

I suppose not. I had no intention of trying it.
    , just curiosity ;)

• celestelykken
    celestelykken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor when you work out and stay between 65-80% of you max heart rate. And you need to do this 5 day per week and your heart rate MUST be within that range for minimum 20 minutes. Then your body will start burning fat vs glucose for energy. (Glucose is burned for the first 20 minutes). This means you'll need to work out about 40 minutes at least to get 10 minutes fat burning in. This accounts for 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I recommend a polar heart rate monitor with chest because they are very accurate. Other things you can do is learn to do formal weight lifting. This will help you stand up straight elongating your mid section. :D best of luck!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Use a heart rate monitor when you work out and stay between 65-80% of you max heart rate. And you need to do this 5 day per week and your heart rate MUST be within that range for minimum 20 minutes. Then your body will start burning fat vs glucose for energy. (Glucose is burned for the first 20 minutes). This means you'll need to work out about 40 minutes at least to get 10 minutes fat burning in. This accounts for 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I recommend a polar heart rate monitor with chest because they are very accurate. Other things you can do is learn to do formal weight lifting. This will help you stand up straight elongating your mid section. :D best of luck!

This is completely unnecessary and seeing that it is your first post I'm going out on a limb to say that you have a lot to learn about fat loss. Total energy balance is all that matters. It doesn't matter if you are burning fat or glucose at any given moment. Your body will restore balance and either refill the fat (from glucose and food) or the glucose (from fat and food).

What she MUST do is to eat at a calorie deficit. Ideally between her TDEE and BMR. She should also consider resistance/strength training to help retain her lean mass, so that most of her weight loss comes from fat (versus fat and muscle doing cardio and diet alone).
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

That sounds super complex and completely unnecessary. I didn't even really cardio.