Macros for weight loss

Options
Im looking to drop weight whilst working out 2 or 3 times a week. Mostly cardio and legs.

My macro calculation worked out at approx: FAT 70g CARBS 80g PROTEIN 290g

Im 5.9" and I was approx 15st with a high body fat % back in November 2014. I've been on these macros since Feb and I feel the change big time. I'm weighing myself March 1st to see the new weight. Just wanted to share this with anyone who might be looking to do the same. I know the protein is high but this comes to approx 2000 calories which with my workouts still puts my in a deficit.

Hope this helps! and if you have any corrections, please let me know, I'm literally learning about this stuff as I go along.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't think many dieticians would recommend that much protein. Why so much? And why don't you work your upper body as much as lower?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    that is an insane amount of protein ….

how much do you weigh?

Are you on structured program or one that you designed for yourself…?
  • matthewlatch
    matthewlatch Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Basically I worked out my macros for a low carb diet but I was left with spare calories so I added them to protein. Otherwise I would be on a massive calorie deficit so I figured in better off eating extra protein than fat and carbs.

It's not a programme but something I worked out myself. I'm a noob when it comes to food so this is trial and error and as for working out, I really enjoy doing legs and cardio so I thought I would do that till I get my weight down then I can add extra sessions for upper body to shape myself.

Thanks for responding. If you have tips is really appreciate it.
    My weight was approx 15 stone in November. I probably put a bit on over Christmas but I've been doing this eating for maybe 30 days so I think I'm closer to 14 now. Weighing myself on March 1st.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you want to do low carb, try increasing your fat and lowering your protein. That is the highest protein I've seen someone post here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    WTF THAT PROTEIN!!! LOLOL
    right!??
  • matthewlatch
    Options
    Lol, yeah you can imagine how sick of chicken I am. What would be a better ratio?
  • matthewlatch
    Options
    If I weigh approx 200lbs my maximum protein should be 220g. Round that down to 200 cause I don't need to max out. So with 90g of protein less, that's 360 calories left over I put that to my fat. Then my fat should be 110g.because 1g fat = 9calories. So the extra 40 g of fat = 360 calories. Wow this is complex.

New ratio:

FAT: 110g PROTEIN: 200g CARBS: 80g

= 2110 calories

So to do this I just swap some chicken for salmon!!!

How does this sound?
  • matthewlatch
    Options
    Sorry to rant, just checked these ratios and they are the same as a ketogenic diet. Hopefully this is a good thing.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What's lean Body Weight?
    Eat that equal amount in protein

15% - 20% carbs

remaining in fat

Do..

15/35/50

Good fat is really really good for you.

Coconut oil, walnut, avocado, Almonds, Omega-3 types

All great oil and where you should get the huge make up
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Meh do what makes you happy

Yes it's a lot of protein ...your minimum calc should be 0.8-1g of protein per pound of LBM (not your weigh)

But I'm not aware of any issue with eating more ..although personally I'd eat it in carbs ..cos I love carbs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why mostly cardio and legs ...that doesn't sound that balanced?
  • HerewardWake
    HerewardWake Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Way too much protein, not that it's gonna kill you or anything. I'd suggest raising the amount of fat to cover the calories you intend to take in.
  • matthewlatch
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why mostly cardio and legs ...that doesn't sound that balanced?

Hello Rabbot, Basically I was born with chronic asthma, so I do cardio because it keeps my lungs strong. I also really enjoy it. Legs because I find I burn more fat when I train legs than upper body. For me its working. When my body fat % is lower I will hit the upper body. I'm trying to really focus and tailor my lifestyle around losing the fat first before anything else.