Fitbit and other gadgets

Options
so what is the best thing out there for someone who doesn't need anything too fancy and won't break the bank?

Replies

• mamadragon
    Options
    I just bought a fitbit HR today. I've gained a ton of weight and I have high BP. I've hit the point that I need to monitor my HR and start to slowly workout (had knee surgery 6 months ago). I can finally walk without much problems so I'm starting on that and I plan on pulling out my steps and start doing step aerobics. Mine was on sale for about $99. I was going to go with one (forgot it's name it's something 24) but it was a bit too much for me. The fitbit HR does the one thing I really wanted which was the HR. Wasn't hard to get going and now I can monitor on my laptop or my cellphone.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, i love it. I have heard iffy thinks about the zip model. The flex isnt really any better than the one and more expensive, I dont know much about the new hr ones but they are more expensive too.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also what kind of exercise do you do that you want to track?
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Options
    The fitbit HR is iffy on cardio. Checkout the DCRAINMAKER site, he rates all the wrist gadgets and is a highly regarded source. I utilize the garmin vivofit with a 4iiiii chest strap when I am working out. The HR measure is your most accurate way to record your calorie burn. Cost wise the vivofit is as low as $60 at Bestbuy because the Vivofit 2 is about to come out... The 2 just adds a back light and call notifications, the vivofit is more than sufficient and accurate!
  • DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the Adidas Smartrun watch. HR monitor, mp3 player, GPS. Love it. Pricey. Battery life has improved with firmware updates. But I don't run marathons so I'm okay with the 3 or 4 hours I get. I got the speed cell for my shoe so I can log miles when I have to use the treadmill.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit Flex back in January - had to manually adjust my stride length so the step count would be accurate. The Flex is ~$100. I kind of wish I had purchased the Fitbit One, but I don't always have a pocket I can attach it to. I can always have my Flex on my arm.
  • Cookie108
    Cookie108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the responses. I would like to track my steps, as well as any other excercises that I do.@mamadragon I also gained a lot of weight and at my physical my BP was high enough to cause concern, when I posted the question I had just finished my stress test. They said I did very well, however, that made me realize that I need to cut out my lame excuses for not working out and get off the couch. The young lady that did the stress test recommended the Fitbit as she also uses it as well as her family. So I purchased the Fitbit HR. She said it helps her be accountable. I hope it works for me since I can't find a workout partner. Lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit flex and downgraded to the zip...I like it more because I can clip it to my bra and wear bracelets and I have no need to track my sleep.

I would recommend it ..I'm not convinced by the new HR versions so I'm sticking with my polar HRM for workouts