New Runner and Shin Splints

Options
I have always wanted to be able to run. I started doing C25K this week. After I finished day 2 yesterday, I wanted to see just how long/far I could go before I had to stop. I was able to make it a 1/4 (a mini fitness goal of mine!) I know I need to be fitted for running shoes and was going to go tomorrow (Saturday the 21st).

Today at the gym I was on the elliptical, then had the *brilliant* idea of trying to run a 1/4 mile again. My Type A personality is very much "go big or go home" when it comes to personal goals even though I know I should have let my legs rest.

I was able to get to .30 miles but my god my shins hurt. During the run and when I slowed to a walk. When I was in the car, I was massaging my legs and noticed on the very middle of my shin an especially sore spot, painful actually. There was one in the same spot on the other leg as well, but not quite as painful. Is that typical of shin splints, or did I do more harm to my leg muscles? I felt a small, nickle to quarter sized knot but it was gone by the time I got home. The area is still painful to the touch.

I know the next step is to lay off the running, ice the area, elevate it, etc. Are there any particular stretches that help the shins?

I know it was my own fault for trying to do too much too soon without the proper gear and now I have to put the goal off for a bit while I heal.

Thank you in advance for your help. I really appreciate it!

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Try childs pose to help stretch the shins. Don't have the treadmill on more than a 1% incline.

See if that helps.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Was the knot on the inside front of your calves? I battled the same thing for a year not knowing I needed a different shoe. The ones that caused it for me were a 4 mm drop. I bought ones with an 8 and it lined out after a while. I did take a complete break and included massage. Then increased time running. Definitely pace yourself running. Patience in the beginning will go along way to avoid injury.

If you are going to a real running store they should be able to help you. Brooks online has a shoe finder if you want to study up on shoes.

I highly recommend core strength and stretching if you pursue running. Invest in a $10 foam roller. Increase you mileage slowly. Runners world has a lot of information.

Welcome fellow runner!
  • twingirlsmama85
    Options
    I was notorious for getting shin splints, and there's pretty much nothing worse! I would just try to push my feet down and away from my body, kind of like pointing them, until I felt it in my shins. My trainers always had me doing preventive measures, too...not that it helps you now! But as they heal, you could try walking forward and backward on your toes, as well as walking forward on your heals, rolling your foot down as you walk. Hard to explain in writing, but that's supposed to build up your shins. And like you said...ice. Paper cups of ice were my best friend. The paper easily tears away as the ice melts, and rubbing the shins feels sooo good. I hope you recoup quick! And, even though you have a Type A personality...don't run right now! The more you push, the longer it'll take to heal. Ride a bike instead :) Good luck!!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Try childs pose to help stretch the shins. Don't have the treadmill on more than a 1% incline.

See if that helps.

I kept the treadmill flat. I will definitely try child's pose. When I do yoga, that one always feels nice :)
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Was the knot on the inside front of your calves? I battled the same thing for a year not knowing I needed a different shoe. The ones that caused it for me were a 4 mm drop. I bought ones with an 8 and it lined out after a while. I did take a complete break and included massage. Then increased time running. Definitely pace yourself running. Patience in the beginning will go along way to avoid injury.

If you are going to a real running store they should be able to help you. Brooks online has a shoe finder if you want to study up on shoes.

I highly recommend core strength and stretching if you pursue running. Invest in a $10 foam roller. Increase you mileage slowly. Runners world has a lot of information.

Welcome fellow runner!

The knot was on the very front of my shin. I've never been fitted for a running shoe, so I know that is the problem. There is a store in the mall near me that analyzes your old shoes, has you run on a track and/or treadmill to determine how you run, lets you try shoes there on their track and treadmill, etc. I'll definitely check out Runners World. Thanks for the tip!
    I was notorious for getting shin splints, and there's pretty much nothing worse! I would just try to push my feet down and away from my body, kind of like pointing them, until I felt it in my shins. My trainers always had me doing preventive measures, too...not that it helps you now! But as they heal, you could try walking forward and backward on your toes, as well as walking forward on your heals, rolling your foot down as you walk. Hard to explain in writing, but that's supposed to build up your shins. And like you said...ice. Paper cups of ice were my best friend. The paper easily tears away as the ice melts, and rubbing the shins feels sooo good. I hope you recoup quick! And, even though you have a Type A personality...don't run right now! The more you push, the longer it'll take to heal. Ride a bike instead :) Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips! I definitely plan to take it more slowly. I'm going to give them some time to heal and then stick to the C25K intervals and not push past that.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,129 Member
    Options
    When I joined my high school track team years ago, I suffered through shin splints which would leave me hobbled for the entire school day in near tears. Four things helped correct the situation for me:

1. Actual running shoes, not just tennis shoes.
    2. Ice bath after running until I built up strength in my shins.
    3. Walking a hundred yards on my heels with my toes pointed as high as possible. Done every day will work up the muscles on the front of the shin.
    4. Have somebody watch your stride. I had a habit of running with my toes pointed out at a thirty degree angle, which placed uneven stress on my lower legs. When it got pointed out to me, I intentionally twisted my feet in to straight until I got used to the sensation and didn't have to think about it further.

Hope these help.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    When I joined my high school track team years ago, I suffered through shin splints which would leave me hobbled for the entire school day in near tears. Four things helped correct the situation for me:

1. Actual running shoes, not just tennis shoes.
    2. Ice bath after running until I built up strength in my shins.
    3. Walking a hundred yards on my heels with my toes pointed as high as possible. Done every day will work up the muscles on the front of the shin.
    4. Have somebody watch your stride. I had a habit of running with my toes pointed out at a thirty degree angle, which placed uneven stress on my lower legs. When it got pointed out to me, I intentionally twisted my feet in to straight until I got used to the sensation and didn't have to think about it further.

Hope these help.

Thanks!