Watching your macros makes you do crazy things.

Does anyone do things now (in order to stay within your macros) that people think is sometimes a little weird?

Today someone brought cookies...440 CALORIES EACH. So I only ate .25 of the cookie!

Tonight my family wants to go to a Mexican restaurant chain for dinner...I want chips and salsa so I'll be asking my family if I can get to the basket of chips first and portion mine out.

It's sometimes frustrating and really tough to do....but I'm so glad I do all of this! :)

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    In a country where 2/3 of the people around us (3/4 at Walmart) are overweight or obese, it is crazy to NOT do those things...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    In America, portions are huge. Asians eat small portions of everything and they stay lean. Portion control!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    In a country where 2/3 of the people around us (3/4 at Walmart) are overweight or obese, it is crazy to NOT do those things...

So true! I am taking a class right now that talked about how your brain takes mental shortcuts...and a McDonald's meal is an example of that! You think that 1 meal on their menu is what you should get...that is almost all of my calories for the day!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    In America, portions are huge. Asians eat small portions of everything and they stay lean. Portion control!

Thanks for reminding me that I'm not crazy! :p
  • RockstarWilson

So true! I am taking a class right now that talked about how your brain takes mental shortcuts...and a McDonald's meal is an example of that! You think that 1 meal on their menu is what you should get...that is almost all of my calories for the day!

While on diet, I actually found something at mcd that fits my macros. The chicken nuggets with ranch sauce. The ranch is mostly fat, and the chicken nuggets help me stay in ketosis. Other than that, there is nothing I desire. If I am going to burger, I am going to burger right, at Carl's Jr.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Are you gonna whip out a scale and measure the chips and salsa?

Seems a bit extreme. Good on you for watching yourself, but making a big display about it is a bit off-putting. I'd recommend just mentally keeping track of the number of chips you are eating while enjoying the company of your family.

I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to be honest. Please don't take offense! :)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    My weirdest thing is when I'm about at the end of the day and I realize I'm 40 grams short on protein. "well, I guess my dinner is decided, a protein bar chased with a protein shake . . . yum"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

I'm guessing you've never seen their ramen bowls.

• RockstarWilson
    btc1987 wrote: »

Seems a bit extreme. Good on you for watching yourself, but making a big display about it is a bit off-putting. I'd recommend just mentally keeping track of the number of chips you are eating while enjoying the company of your family.

I am not trying to be rude, I am trying to be honest. Please don't take offense! :)

I disagree. If keeping track of it is something that enlightens her and helps her progress in life, she should be able to do whatever she wants. Yeah, it might hurt her chances if she were at the bar and dating, but for this...heck, whip out the scale. If the family has a problem with her making a change in her life instead of a curiosity, then they can go pound sand.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited February 2015
  • PikaKnight

I disagree. If keeping track of it is something that enlightens her and helps her progress in life, she should be able to do whatever she wants. Yeah, it might hurt her chances if she were at the bar and dating, but for this...heck, whip out the scale. If the family has a problem with her making a change in her life instead of a curiosity, then they can go pound sand.

Do you seriously not see the issue with carrying a food scale around with you to a restaurant for a family outing?

Is this something that happens every night or more like once a month? Either way, building healthy habits and such aren't just about intake, it's about mentality as well.
  • PikaKnight
    What if the one measuring at the restaurant was autistic, would you be "put off"? No, ya wouldn't. But for normal people, you care too much about what others think...

What does that matter? It still isn't a healthy mindset, regardless if you have a mental disability or not. That's pretty messed up to try to use that to back up your opinion.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited February 2015
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    I wish I could eat 0.25 of a cookie! Lol. I have tried and failed.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    What if the one measuring at the restaurant was autistic, would you be "put off"? No, ya wouldn't. But for normal people, you care too much about what others think...

Yes, an autistic family member weighing chips and salsa for the purposes of staying within his/her macros and calorie limits would be off-putting. I agree with PikaKnight, though - that argument is a bit extremist.

It's not so much caring what people think, but having self-awareness. You should definitely do what you want for the most part, but you shouldn't do so at the expense of everyone else around you when there are equally reasonable, effective, and efficient alternatives.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    I didnt insult autism, thanks for twisting my words.

And there is no rationality in those return posts. This is where I exit.

Bye.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »

What does that matter? It still isn't a healthy mindset, regardless if you have a mental disability or not. That's pretty messed up to try to use that to back up your opinion.

Don't be one of those people who intentionally misinterprets a point just because they like being offended. He clearly wasn't being derogatory in the slightest.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

100% agree with this.

• PikaKnight

Don't be one of those people who intentionally misinterprets a point just because they like being offended. He clearly wasn't being derogatory in the slightest.

Mmhmm. I'm not. Encouraging someone to go around with a food scale on family outings isn't a healthy mindset to be encouraging and saying no one would think twice if an autistic person did it isn't good either.

but thanks for playing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    edited February 2015

Do you seriously not see the issue with carrying a food scale around with you to a restaurant for a family outing?

Is this something that happens every night or more like once a month? Either way, building healthy habits and such aren't just about intake, it's about mentality as well.

What's wrong with weighing food at a restaurant?

ETA wth? My reply ended up on top? o_O