Advise - energy gels

Options
Good evening :)
I was wondering has anyone who has ran a 1/2 marathon have any advise preparing for race day? Any race day tips? How to stay hydrated? I saw an add for energy gels to hydrate while you run longer, has anyone tried these? Are they full of sugar? Thanks in advance

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tip #1 - don't try anything new on race day. That would include gels. If you haven't trained with them, race day is not the time to try them out.

You don't say when your race is so it's hard to advise on the gels. Yes, they are full of sugar but that is exactly what you want. It is a quick easy energy source that your body will use as fuel. There are a lot of other things you can take as well. Some people use candy, others use dried fruits, but they are all basically sugar sources. A lot of people don't feel you need to refuel during a half. Personally, I like them for a half. Maybe not necessary, maybe it's all placebo but I'll go with it.

Hydration is the same thing. you should have an idea of how much and what you need to drink just from training. Again, some people don't bother for a half. For me, anything over an hour I usually bring water. I tend to sweat a lot. Also, if you are going to use gels, you need to have water.
    I've done halfs where I only use aid stations, I've done them where I brought my own. Personal preference.

I don't know if you are currently trying to lose weight but in case you are, I have had most success by coming off of my calorie deficit in the week or two before the race or even the last few weeks of training.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 - don't try anything new on race day. That would include gels. If you haven't trained with them, race day is not the time to try them out.

You don't say when your race is so it's hard to advise on the gels. Yes, they are full of sugar but that is exactly what you want. It is a quick easy energy source that your body will use as fuel. There are a lot of other things you can take as well. Some people use candy, others use dried fruits, but they are all basically sugar sources. A lot of people don't feel you need to refuel during a half. Personally, I like them for a half. Maybe not necessary, maybe it's all placebo but I'll go with it.

Hydration is the same thing. you should have an idea of how much and what you need to drink just from training. Again, some people don't bother for a half. For me, anything over an hour I usually bring water. I tend to sweat a lot. Also, if you are going to use gels, you need to have water.
    I've done halfs where I only use aid stations, I've done them where I brought my own. Personal preference.

I don't know if you are currently trying to lose weight but in case you are, I have had most success by coming off of my calorie deficit in the week or two before the race or even the last few weeks of training.

Solid advice here :flowerforyou:
  • SamanthaRMichel
    SamanthaRMichel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)