Runners - question on music, tempo and pace

Options
I'm finishing up the 6th week of Couch to 5k this week and have my first registered event in two weeks. It's the Chase Corporate Challenge, which is actually 3.5 miles, so a touch more than a 5k.

So I'm working on a playlist of good tunes that will keep me motivated, distracted and dedicated to keep going for the 3.5 miles. I've started loading the songs into jog.fm and the tempos are all over the place (best for a 14:00 mile, best for a 9:00 mile etc). My last (and best) time was an 11:48 mile this past Saturday.

My questions is just wondering if tempo is something I should concentrate on. I guess maybe it is, as I do tend to run to the beat automatically. Which brings me to my next question - I wonder if I should place the songs, say, for the slower miles early on and gradually move it to quicker tempos for the last push? Am I overthinking this? I am a data and detail hound, to be sure, so maybe I am. I'm also wondering if I use songs with a quicker tempo than my current mile if that would encourage me to stay on pace for the full 3.5 miles.

Just curious how others plan out their music for a run. Thanks!

Replies

• shanalodder
    shanalodder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read that you want your running songs to be at 120-150 bpm. I find that when I have a pandora workout station on I run a faster mile than if I'm just listening to any old song I like. I dont have a lot of advice but trial it out with a mini playlist.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do "better" when listening to music that I like that pumps me up, regardless of bpm. Super slow stuff is a no go, but things slower than my pace are fine. I tried the bpm route, and while I only chose songs I liked, I found that I didn't enjoy running to all of them, if that makes sense. I like hip-hop/rap and metal to run to, just because the songs get my blood pumping.
  • queenstl
    queenstl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Me personally have to have rap to listen to when working out, because it's fast and has nice beats that I can run in sync with. When I'm ready to cool down, I put on slow music because it helps me relax. Find the music that you feel suits you the best to get the kind of motivation you need. Its hard to give advice on type of music, because everyone likes different things. Good luck!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I read that you want your running songs to be at 120-150 bpm. I find that when I have a pandora workout station on I run a faster mile than if I'm just listening to any old song I like. I dont have a lot of advice but trial it out with a mini playlist.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm only just starting the longer run segments this week (20 minutes plus) so I haven't been able to really test much out with the slower segments. I ran faster on saturday with a new playlist - all fun pop hits from the 80s that I loved when I was a kid. So maybe that's the answer.

Thanks for the replies, everybody - you've all been very helpful! :wink:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are allowed to wear headphones. In my 5k we were not allowed to listen to music
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    In some races headphones/ iPods are not allowed so check the rules.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use MotionTraxx or Podcaster to keep a steady pace while running. I've only been running just over a month, so I tend to run too fast and wear myself out. I don't think I could run a race that didn't allow headphones.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that - I had no idea some don't allow music. I too could not run without it, so it's something I will pay attention to as I sign up for future races. I can't see anything to the contrary for the CCC, so hopefully I'm okay with that one, anyhow!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that - I had no idea some don't allow music. I too could not run without it, so it's something I will pay attention to as I sign up for future races. I can't see anything to the contrary for the CCC, so hopefully I'm okay with that one, anyhow!
    Many big marathons will not allow it, and some smaller races.