Salmon Recipes for non-fish eater?

Options
My wife is under doctor's orders to start eating fatty fish. She's been a vegetarian for years and never liked fish before that. I've bought some wild caught salmon. Ordinarily, i would just broil or poach it, but I am looking for a recipe that hides the fishiness. Any ideas?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    A couple of times recently I've baked a piece of salmon in a small dish basted with a tablespoonful of sweet chili sauce. Tasty with a sweet potato or in a salad.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've only become a fan of salmon recently. Previous to that, unless it was on a bagel with cream cheese, capers and shaved red onion, i wouldn't touch it. BUT... I made salmon burgers with an avocado salsa and they were AMAZING.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    My wife is under doctor's orders to start eating fatty fish. She's been a vegetarian for years and never liked fish before that. I've bought some wild caught salmon. Ordinarily, i would just broil or poach it, but I am looking for a recipe that hides the fishiness. Any ideas?
    Why did the Dr. specify fish? If it's for the DHA and EPA that can be supplemented quite easily. Any other reason would need a pretty good explanation, I can't think of one.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Why did the Dr. specify fish? If it's for the DHA and EPA that can be supplemented quite easily. Any other reason would need a pretty good explanation, I can't think of one.

that but i love salmon teriyaki.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    One thing I love on seafood is Old Bay Seasoning. I normally wouldn't put it on salmon since I love the taste of it fairly plain, but it might work for her. Maybe also saute some sliced mini sweet peppers and garlic and mushrooms and put it over a starch of her choice.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for nearly 20 years but I'm now pescetarian and eased myself back into eating fish gradually. I love spicy food so started to make Indian or Thai dishes as it helps to disguise the fishiness. Maybe try salmon pieces in a red jungle curry or salmon fishcakes with a chilli sauce.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Slice the top in a hatch pattern, put light coating of brown sugar and place all on a ceder plank and put on hot grill. Yum.
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I only buy wild sockeye salmon. It has a smoky flavor that the other kind don't have. I like fishy tasting fish but salmon tastes the least fishy (to me). Maybe she can supplement. Although I find fish oil to be pretty fishy, too.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love this one:

Ginger Glazed Salmon

3 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    4 (6 ounce) fish filets
    1/8 tsp lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions
    1. In a shallow glass dish, stir together the honey/agave, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic and olive oil. Season fish fillets with lemon pepper, and place them into the dish. If the fillets have skin on them, place them skin side down. Cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.

2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove fish from the dish, and reserve marinade. Fry fish for 4 to 6 minutes on each side, turning only once, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fillets to a serving platter and keep warm.

3. Pour reserved marinade into the skillet, and heat over medium heat until the mixture reduces to a glaze consistently. Spoon glaze over fish, and serve immediately.
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Peg4Jesus7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love any salmon, prepared any way (especially sushi!) :) My favorite way to cook salmon is so simple: sprinkle salmon filet with McCormick's Lemon & Herb seasoning (NOT the Lemon Pepper) and let it sit for a few minutes while the broiler is heating; then broil until top is browned and splits open, and the fish flakes with a fork. It's my family's favorite, even preferred over restaurant salmon. :)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Slice the top in a hatch pattern, put light coating of brown sugar and place all on a ceder plank and put on hot grill. Yum.

It's zero degrees, so a hot grill isn't going to happen
  • sheldonklein
    Options

Per the cardiologist, recent science shows that fish oil or other supplements don't offer heart health benefits and fatty fish does. That is consistent with what I've read over the past few years.

I appreciate the other suggestions, but before i saw them, i decided to use a chilli powder and paprika rub and to top it with a pineapple salsa. I'll report back on how it turns out.
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Peg4Jesus7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I believe the whole food (whether it be protein, veggie, fruit, etc.) is always better than supplements, as you're getting all the micronutrients that work together nutritionally, rather than isolating one nutrient. Having said that, I take plenty of supplements, because I do find them helpful to boost my intake. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my favorite. I don't find it fishy at all. I bake it in the oven with lemon slices and a little butter. 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the middle isn't fleshy.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    2 tbsp. maple syrup
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp minced garlic (or 1 clove)
    1 tsp minced ginger

Stir ingredients together and brush entire mixture on top of salmon. Best baked.

You'll also want to put some aluminum foil under the salmon so the sauce doesn't cook onto the pan. It's nasty to scrape off. It's not very low calorie, but it's delicious.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options

Per the cardiologist, recent science shows that fish oil or other supplements don't offer heart health benefits and fatty fish does. That is consistent with what I've read over the past few years.

I appreciate the other suggestions, but before i saw them, i decided to use a chilli powder and paprika rub and to top it with a pineapple salsa. I'll report back on how it turns out.
    I wasn't aware fish oil has been taken off the heart health ban wagon. Also don't fully understand why considering it's worked fine for half a century.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Does she like hot, spicy food? If so, this might work: marinate the salmon in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, some minced garlic, and a bit of sugar. After an hour of marinating, pat dry and cover liberally with coarse, fresh-ground black pepper. Saute in olive oil until it's done to your liking; if she doesn't like fish, that probably means cook until it's opaque in the thickest part, but you can take it off when it's still translucent. If you use the right amount of pepper (and fatty fish can take a lot more than chicken breasts or steak), the emphasis will be on the hot pepper flavor with hints of soy and lemon, not on the fish.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Didn't see you were in the freeze out zone! Yeah, save the grilling for this summer! That mix sounded very good. Actually there are a few recipes on this thread I plan on trying!
  • sheldonklein
    Options
    Good news and bad news. The chile rubbed salmon with pineapple salsa was delicious and beautiful. The bad news is my wife still couldn't eat it - she's always hated fish and apparently a heart attack and doctor's advice isn't going to cause her to change her ways. Oh well, I tried.