how to avoid a stitch when running?

Options
How do you all manage to not suffer getting a stitch when running?

Replies

• Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't eat dairy before hand. They usually happen because you naturally breathe out when landing on your right foot which puts pressure on your kidney... or liver (I think, could be a different part but same effect). So try exhaling when you land on your left foot. Works for me.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't eat dairy before hand. They usually happen because you naturally breathe out when landing on your right foot which puts pressure on your kidney... or liver (I think, could be a different part but same effect). So try exhaling when you land on your left foot. Works for me.

I agree with landing on your left foot for the reason listed above AND that it really helps you regulate your breathing, and part of getting side stitches is not breathing correctly. When you get into a rhythm with your breathing and your running, it will help out those stitches tremendously!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Get in better shape.

I find that I get stitches when I am completely exhausted. As your conditioning improves you should get them less often. I only get them after a brutal 2 hour session or so (which I have cut down on enormously, too much work).
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Knowing how to breathe with your stride.

This was the biggest thing for me. I breathe in when my left foot hits the ground.

I only get stitches when it's too hot outside or I am wayyy too dehydrated.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I find stitches happen when you have a full tummy or intestines.... and when you let your arms cross over the front of you, so you are running using a twisting motion.
    This affects everything, can hurt your back, interfere with your breathing (which is hard enough when trying to run).
    Try to make sure you have a relatively empty tummy and see if that helps.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I found running in the morning before i ate helped me. I would normally run in the afternoon, waiting hours until i hit the treadmill, but i would always still get the stitch.

Since switching to mornings before eating, i haven't had the stitch once.

Just my 2 cents. Works for me :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I only get stitches when it's too hot outside or I am wayyy too dehydrated.

Make sure you HYDRATE, especially now that it's Summer.
  • foody44
    foody44 Posts: 21
    Options
    I personally find running on an empty stomach is better for not having stitches too. But if you have to eat before, make sure you let it digest a little first, or have a smaller sized meal.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    1) Leave enough time between eating and going for a run
    2) Don't drink too much water before even starting your run!
    3) Stretch out your sides. Hold the stretch for 1 minute each stretch
    4) Warm up - start with a couple of minutes of face paced walking
    5) Breathe evenly when you run
    6) Breathe out HARD when the foot on the OPPOSITE side to the side you normally get the stitch on hits the ground
    7) Take a break to stretch it out if you cramp
    8) Make sure your posture is currently (google image correct running posture if you're not sure)
    9) Run on even, flat ground. If you take uneven strides (as one often does on uneven ground) you're more likely to get stitches
    10) If you're just taking up running try to accept the fact that you are likely to get them initially. It'll pass.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    warm up properly and don't try to push too hard.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    This usually happens when you run too fast. Slow it down, it's not a race, but a long easy run you are looking for. Some of the other suggestions may work too. Learning to breath well, is another key.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    1) Leave enough time between eating and going for a run
    2) Don't drink too much water before even starting your run!
    3) Stretch out your sides. Hold the stretch for 1 minute each stretch
    4) Warm up - start with a couple of minutes of face paced walking
    5) Breathe evenly when you run
    6) Breathe out HARD when the foot on the OPPOSITE side to the side you normally get the stitch on hits the ground
    7) Take a break to stretch it out if you cramp
    8) Make sure your posture is currently (google image correct running posture if you're not sure)
    9) Run on even, flat ground. If you take uneven strides (as one often does on uneven ground) you're more likely to get stitches
    10) If you're just taking up running try to accept the fact that you are likely to get them initially. It'll pass.

Good luck!

^^^ All of this!
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also find sometimes a get a stitch so will take these comments on board.
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to always get a stitch when running. A friend once said to me that if that happens then I am running too fast. The next time I went out running I ran slower and sure enough no stitch. After a while i was able to build up my speed without getting a stitch.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info in this thread. Thank you! :drinker:
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I always get a side stitch when I'm not hydrated enough. Start drinking an hour or so before you run :)
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Need to try some of these soon.
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help with this, its been really really good to read all of the advice.

:) x