strength imbalance

Options
I've increased my strength training, and I'm starting to do some heavier lifts. I'm noticing a strength imbalance (both in performance and visual comparison), and I'd like to fix it before it becomes a problem. I've looked online but there appear to be different approaches to fixing it. Start with left, start with right, do extra reps, don't do extra reps.

Is this common? It seems obvious what might cause this, although I can't believe that because I lead with the right generally in life, I would be bigger and tighter to this degree on the right side. I do the same reps, etc. on the left as the right.

Would like to nip this in the bud. Thought are appreciated.

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    also if you have suggestions about reputable online resources (in addition to you, of course), that would be great. There are so many people out there talking .......
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes it is common. My pt told me that he sees it a bit more in righties than lefties because lefties have to do some things right-handed due to how various tools are made.

I would agree with starting on the left, assuming you are doing an exercise that has you using one side at a time. Using dumbbells rather than a barbell can also help. If you do use a barbell you should focus on being sure that your right side is not taking over for the left--mind/muscle connection is important.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Is this common? .

Yes - almost nobody is perfectly symmetrical. If there's not more than a few rep difference, i wouldn't worry about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. Just be consistent. If you can train in exercises that are unilateral, that way your weaker side will adjust to catch up with the strong side. You'll always have a dominant side, just try to get them as even strength wise as you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    It seems logical to do more reps on the weaker side, but I'm hearing mixed things on this. Should I increase the left-sided reps (basically just bicep curls, seated bicep curls and tricep extensions)?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If there's more than a few rep difference, then yes. If not, i wouldn't worry about it. Try to use your left more for daily activities.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is your current training program one that you designed or is it a structured program? Typically, when people try to design their own program they leave out key areas which leads to imbalances in strength….
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No - keep the reps and weights the same. Don't progress in weights/reps (however your program is laid out) until both sides can do all the reps properly with the weight. It'll just about always seem easier with your dominant side, but you want your other side to be close - doing a different routine (which is what you'd be doing, if you did more reps or weight on one side) will likely lead to different imbalances.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    is your current training program one that you designed or is it a structured program? Typically, when people try to design their own program they leave out key areas which leads to imbalances in strength….

I'm pretty much doing my own thing ... there's a lot out there to sift through. I don't feel comfortable with lunges yet, but I'm doing bench press, overhead press, squats and deadlifts, bicep curl, seated bicep curl, tricep extensions and tricep dips (?). I usually have time to do 3 sets of 5 reps of everything (except the tricep dips, because I hate them). Lunges make me nervous that my knees will get injured. This is once a week, because I take a pilates/barre class for balance and core strength once a week and run the rest of the days of the week. I could stand to have some structure/authority in my routine - just haven't taken the initiative to seek it out yet. (When I spend time on it these days, it's to get form right on the heavy lifts, because these are still new to me.) Any particular recommendations?
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    No - keep the reps and weights the same. Don't progress in weights/reps (however your program is laid out) until both sides can do all the reps properly with the weight. It'll just about always seem easier with your dominant side, but you want your other side to be close - doing a different routine (which is what you'd be doing, if you did more reps or weight on one side) will likely lead to different imbalances.

That makes a lot of sense - thank you.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Any particular recommendations? ... there's a lot out there to sift through.
    The easiest would be to pick a comprehensive strength training program such as Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting (supercharged). These both have you doing compound movements that cover all major areas, rather than skipping the hardest areas and doing isolation exercises in your favorites. Probably ndj1979 picked up on the absence of some compound movements and the inclusion of several isolation exercises in your routine, although it's not that bad for a home-grown one.

Stronglifts is free and tells you precisely which exercises/sets/reps to do. You can go to the gym and begin within half an hour. New Rules of Lifting provides a framework into which you plug-in compatible exercises. A bit more setup time, but more flexibility and modifications.

• 4leighbee
    Options
    sounds like something I really ought to spend some effort on -
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

this.

sounds like something I really ought to spend some effort on -

you already are. just by progressively strength training you're forcing the weak side to catch up to the stronger side. eventually it more or less evens out. if you simply have to feel like you're doing something special for this, do the reps with your weak side before the left. or simply get more dumbbell work in.

• phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend News For Lifting Supercharged. I use bands in place of a lat machine. To work through the program twice is about 2 years doing everything twice. The author is at the message boards listed in the book and answers questions.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions above. Do you have the same range of motion/mobility on both sides? May be more of an issue in this area vs pure strength. You might want to look around and see if someone (trainer or PT) in your area is certified in the Functional Movement Screen (FMS). Doesn't take very long and is can give some interesting perspective.

http://www.functionalmovement.com/

You can find bits and pieces of this online in videos but probably better to have a trained person watch you.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've increased my strength training, and I'm starting to do some heavier lifts. I'm noticing a strength imbalance (both in performance and visual comparison), and I'd like to fix it before it becomes a problem. I've looked online but there appear to be different approaches to fixing it. Start with left, start with right, do extra reps, don't do extra reps.

Is this common? It seems obvious what might cause this, although I can't believe that because I lead with the right generally in life, I would be bigger and tighter to this degree on the right side. I do the same reps, etc. on the left as the right.

Would like to nip this in the bud. Thought are appreciated.

What exactly is the imbalance? You feel your right leg is stronger than your left?
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    No it's my upper arms. I can feel that my right one is bigger/more solid. Weird but true ... and my left fatigues more quickly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No it's my upper arms. I can feel that my right one is bigger/more solid. Weird but true ... and my left fatigues more quickly.

Trust me,it's not that big of a deal
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my right arm is a little stronger and more coordinated than my left.

I know the standard answer is dumbells starting with the weak side, but I feel like barbell work does just as well since your arms are working together and you aren't gonna just push up one side. Even better IMHO is push ups and dips. But as others have stated it's probably not that big of a deal and the more you train with the exercises you listed previously, the less noticeable it will be.