Which First... Cardio/ Weights?

2»

Replies

• rsandem
    rsandem Posts: 16 Member
    On days when I do both, I do a short (5-10 min) cardio warmup, then weights, then my main cardio workout. I started out with both weights & cardio, simply because I wanted the benefits of both.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I do cardio for my heart health and endorphin rush, then later in the day I do 5lb hand weights. I have a weight set in the basement I am hopefully going to be ready for by summer.

...I think most of us are talking about progressive weight training... low reps, high weight rather than high reps at a low weight

Yeah, I am looking forward to being able to lift heavier weights. :^)

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I do cardio for my heart health and endorphin rush, then later in the day I do 5lb hand weights. I have a weight set in the basement I am hopefully going to be ready for by summer.

...I think most of us are talking about progressive weight training... low reps, high weight rather than high reps at a low weight

Yeah, I am looking forward to being able to lift heavier weights. :^)

If you head out to the gym you will be able to lift heavier than 5lbs. Pretty much everyone can by default. No point in only doing 5lbs, even if you're trying to lose weight. Might as well use your time more wisely with some heavier weights haha.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    US Navy suggest doing cardio first. The reasoning is that you want to time your meal after your workout within 45 minutes of doing strength training to supply your muscles with protein so they can start rebuilding.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you head out to the gym you will be able to lift heavier than 5lbs. Pretty much everyone can by default. No point in only doing 5lbs, even if you're trying to lose weight. Might as well use your time more wisely with some heavier weights haha.

I have a decent weight set in the basement, just not cleared by the doc to use it yet because of joint issues. Going up by 1lb increments at a time. Don't worry, I will get there eventually. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »

I have a decent weight set in the basement, just not cleared by the doc to use it yet because of joint issues. Going up by 1lb increments at a time. Don't worry, I will get there eventually. :)

hopefully you'll get cleared soon enough then, the fun of lifting weights is being able to beat your own personal records ;)