Anyone Normalize High Blood Pressure: Testimonials!

Options
I have had high blood pressure since having my son in 2010. I am hoping that my weight loss will result in me being able to stop my medication, which is a low dose.

Any testimonials? How much weight did you lose before seeing a change in your BP? Other considerations that can be supported by personal experiences?

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    At my highest, I weighed 305 and my BP was so high, the refused to let me leave before they gave me meds for it.

It had no known reason for being high, other than my obesity. It normalized at about 210 for me, and I now weigh around 175. I am and have been unmedicated since 210, but I do keep fairly good track of it by home monitoring.

Note: I did get my Dr.s permission to stop medication when it stabilized, a lot of those meds can be dangerous to just stop, and your Dr. can help you :)
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I will definitely consult my doctor. Just trying to gain a little reassurance that I can reach this goal. I am 186 right now, which is how much I weighed pre-pregnancy. So I am hoping to see some results soon.

How did you know your BP was lowering? This may sound silly, but did it drop too low or did you just ween off the meds and it stayed low???
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I got off blood pressure meds after losing 30 pounds. I'm down another 30 and don't expect to go back. I've also halved my Statin and expect to be able to go off completely the next time I get tested.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. I will definitely consult my doctor. Just trying to gain a little reassurance that I can reach this goal. I am 186 right now, which is how much I weighed pre-pregnancy. So I am hoping to see some results soon.

How did you know your BP was lowering? This may sound silly, but did it drop too low or did you just ween off the meds and it stayed low???

My Dr. was monitoring it, along with some other health issues. When she thought it was staying low enough, and my weight had greatly decreased, she suggested going half dose for a few weeks (weaning) and then monitoring it to make sure it didn't go up again.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    I got off blood pressure meds after losing 30 pounds. I'm down another 30 and don't expect to go back. I've also halved my Statin and expect to be able to go off completely the next time I get tested.

Oh...great! Good for you.☺️
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

WOOT WOOT!
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »

My Dr. was monitoring it, along with some other health issues. When she thought it was staying low enough, and my weight had greatly decreased, she suggested going half dose for a few weeks (weaning) and then monitoring it to make sure it didn't go up again.

Ok. That sounds reasonable. I asked because I have been a little anxious about it unexpectedly dropping. Thanks again for sharing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have been able to reduce the strength of my prescriptions, but I still require meds to keep my blood pressure normal. I've been at this for about 2.5 years and I'm as healthy and fit as I've ever been...I still hold out some hope that I'll be able to ditch the meds some day...but really, it seems to be as much of a hereditary issue for me as much as anything else.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have been able to reduce the strength of my prescriptions, but I still require meds to keep my blood pressure normal. I've been at this for about 2.5 years and I'm as healthy and fit as I've ever been...I still hold out some hope that I'll be able to ditch the meds some day...but really, it seems to be as much of a hereditary issue for me as much as anything else.

Progress is inspiring!
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    After losing around 100 my Dr. said they would cut my dose in 1/2, which was monitored closely. It was to be cut in 1/2 again after 3 months. At that 3 month appt. the Dr. said to stop taking them as they were no longer need but to continue tracking for awhile with permission to restart if needed. So far it's not been needed.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Was on 2 meds for HTN, 2 for high cholesterol & lipids as well as Metformin for T2 DM .
    Off all meds since 9/2013 and no longer am considered to have those diagnoses.

I started MFP June 7th, 2012 after being diagnosed with T2.

Was being seen by MD 4x year with the DM dx and after the room start swimming when I got up, we started to adjust down the anti hypertensive meds.
    I now run on the lower side (thinking last time had appt it was 100/60)

I probably had lost ~ 100 lbs when they finally stopped the meds (she didn't want to totally cut the Lisinopril which she dropped to I think 5 mg, said something about kidney protection from DM, but after dizziness persisted, that med was stopped) .
    Not sure when I first got diagnosed with HTN.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

started my weight loss 1st of October 2014 at 260 pounds
    After about 6 weeks my BP started to come down

Now normal :) and still on my weight loss life style change.
    *BP normal
    *sugar level normal again
    *heart rate normal again
    * fitter
    * and lost 69 pounds till now ( current weight 191 pound)

76145189.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I negotiated to go off meds a few months after surgery if I promised to keep monitoring. I check my BP about once a week. I started to experience dizziness and weakness after my first thirty pounds off and started collecting BP data to convince my doctor to go off. At my lowest I was down to "optimal low". But I was several months after Bariatric surgery and over 50 lbs down before I was off BP meds. My BP has gone up slightly but it continues to rate in the normal range. Resolving sleep apnea might also have contributed to lower BP.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. I measured my BP before and after walking/jogging 4.5m yesterday. My BP was 122/79 before and 188/77 after. I wonder if walking/cardio play a significant role also?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Cardio definitely helps! I have seen a steady drop in my heart rate.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    170/110 regularly - like every time they tested it. Doc gave me 3 months. Diet and exercise brought it down to 140's / 95-ish after fixing the diet and losing 30 pounds. Not low enough. They put me on low dose (2.5 mg) Lisinopril.

Stayed on the meds for almost 3 years, but got the weight loss up to 55 pounds and now I'm off 'em for the time being. Been off for the last 6 weeks and averaged 127/65 with only a single reading (of about a hundred in the spreadsheet) over the 140/90 hypertensive threshold.

Losing weight and running miles - lots and lots of miles - is what did it for me. I had to take off 25% of my weight (204 to 150-ish) to finally get off 'em, though, and most folks think I'm underweight now. It didn't come down until I got super low weight.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Cardio definitely helps! I have seen a steady drop in my heart rate.

Nice! My BP was 127/81 this morning before meds, so I think I am getting close.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    170/110 regularly - like every time they tested it. Doc gave me 3 months. Diet and exercise brought it down to 140's / 95-ish after fixing the diet and losing 30 pounds. Not low enough. They put me on low dose (2.5 mg) Lisinopril.

Stayed on the meds for almost 3 years, but got the weight loss up to 55 pounds and now I'm off 'em for the time being. Been off for the last 6 weeks and averaged 127/65 with only a single reading (of about a hundred in the spreadsheet) over the 140/90 hypertensive threshold.

Losing weight and running miles - lots and lots of miles - is what did it for me. I had to take off 25% of my weight (204 to 150-ish) to finally get off 'em, though, and most folks think I'm underweight now. It didn't come down until I got super low weight.

Thanks for the details. And congrats!
    I am in 5mg right now. I have almost lost 30. I am at 185, down from 212 and hope to lose about 45-50 more. I know my family will think I am too small when I am done but I have to do what makes me healthy and happy.
    I try to walk/jog 10m per week also.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Update:
    3 months of better eating and walking and my blood pressure has been normal 1 week without meds.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    happy dance!