when to breathe during pushups

Options
When I'm doing pushups (well trying) I have a tendency to hold my breath and I know enough to know this is not good. To be honest, I hold my other times, going up stairs, situps, yoga, but I'm going to focus on during pushups for now. What is a good rhythm of breathing to go along with pushups?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Inhale on the way down, forcefully breath out pushing up. Rule of thumb in breathing for exercise is inhale on the the easiest (eccentric) and exhale on the hardest (concentric) part of execution.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Generally I think it's about exhaling on the effort...it could be argued that going down and up on press ups is all effort though!

Let me do some and see...

My rhythm is out on the way down and in on the way up!
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Like ninerbuff said..
    If you are doing yoga, breathing is a bit different than strength training. Ask your instructor how to properly breathe through the poses and transitions. I couldn't think of a single pose where you would have to hold your breath. Mostly, it' keeping your core tight, but still keep breathing.
    Happy training!
  • Peg4Jesus7
    Peg4Jesus7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Inhale on the way down, forcefully breath out pushing up. Rule of thumb in breathing for exercise is inhale on the the easiest (eccentric) and exhale on the hardest (concentric) part of execution.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is what I've always heard, and works the most effective to me. For push ups, I breathe out when pushing up, that's the hardest exertion for me. :)