protien shakes

Options
Hey you guys! New to the community. I have just started working on getting my body healthy and really want to bulk up in my weight and muscle. I have a couple Mass Gainer protein shakes suggested, anyone have preferred ones they use with high protien and high calorie intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Before all of the 'eat real food' replies come in, I'll give my 2 cents (though I do prefer real food personally). I've used MRM's all natural gainer in the vanilla flavor, which I think tastes great and goes down easy. That's really what it comes down to with weight-gainers: taste. They will all have fats, carbs, and protein, so just stick with the one you like most.

Another good choice is optimum nutrition's pro complex gainer. Good taste and value.

Again, real food is your best bet, but I understand that it can be difficult to eat a significant number of calories at times. That's why I like to make my own 'gainer' shakes. Just use regular protein powder (any flavor), add some oats, whole milk, peanut butter, and I like to throw in blueberries or banana. Blend and PRESTO - a homemade, tasty, cheap 'gainer' shake.

Good luck.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Protein shake + donuts > Mass Gainers. With a protein shake and donut combination compared to mass gainers, you will usually get more protein and enjoy it a lot more. Mass gainers are a rip off; they are usually under dosed protein shakes with inexpensive fillers charged to consumers at the same price if not more. If you don't like donuts, you could always add anything high calorie with a protein shake and get equal if not better results.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Before all of the 'eat real food' replies come in, I'll give my 2 cents (though I do prefer real food personally). I've used MRM's all natural gainer in the vanilla flavor, which I think tastes great and goes down easy. That's really what it comes down to with weight-gainers: taste. They will all have fats, carbs, and protein, so just stick with the one you like most.

Another good choice is optimum nutrition's pro complex gainer. Good taste and value.

Again, real food is your best bet, but I understand that it can be difficult to eat a significant number of calories at times. That's why I like to make my own 'gainer' shakes. Just use regular protein powder (any flavor), add some oats, whole milk, peanut butter, and I like to throw in blueberries or banana. Blend and PRESTO - a homemade, tasty, cheap 'gainer' shake.

Good luck.

This seems to be a good idea. Powders that are just high in calories seem to me to be a waste of money since the ingredients to make your own are very cheap.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are one thing but gainers are just cheap carbs, fats and proteins for calories and not really great value IMO. Protein shakes and ice cream will give you a better bang for your buck.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea. Whole food, but in shake form:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RYoCmQk8g
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    +1 for protein shake with a snack, of your choice.

Can't recommend a mass gainer, I haven't tried any.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Whole food, but in shake form:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RYoCmQk8g

As soon as I saw who it was I started to laugh! :D