Vegetarian and need help to add calories while limiting carbs

Options
I was introduced to mfp in January by my friend in Jan. It has led to a huge change in my diet in short 6 weeks. I am struggling with increasing blood sugar and have tried many things to bring it back to normal.

It is so true that "what gets measured gets improved". MFP helps me track my carb intake with its vast database. My goal is to stay under 100gms of carbs. I am able to barely keep to the carb quota, but I am realizing that if you take the carbs out, there are not a lot of vegetarian food choices left. I find it hard to go beyond 1300 calories, without exceeding 100gms of carbs. Recently I added Greek Yogurt to my diet. It helps me fill a few additional calories. My daily food is mostly Salad, nuts and greek yogurt.

I saw a significant improvement in my A1C in these short 6 weeks, and want to try this low carb diet for a few more months.

Any suggestions on getting additional calories without the carbs on an egg less vegetarian diet?

I am 5’7” and weigh 145lb. My mfp allowance to maintain is 1860.

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am a vegetarian too. Overweight, so my diet isn't super great but I do now how to make it better. When I am eating better, I try and have one meal with the bread/oatmeal type carbs. The rest of the carbs come from veggies and beans, so I don't really worry about those. I love huge salads with at least a cup of beans, any veggies, feta, and oil/balsamic dressing. For dinner I love any type of curry, sometimes a bean based burrito, stir fry without rice, tortillas, noodles or with them. My favorite cookbooks right now are "Oh She Glows" and Thug Kitchen. Bean based burgers are good in a salad. You can switch out tortillas for lettuce wraps and stuff like that.

When you find yourself needing some calories, look at your fat intake. If you can, add things like guacamole, nuts, or anything else that isn't processed but can add some healthy fat.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is not absolute carbs, but carbs as percent of my calories. This is important because MFP doesn't distinguish between fast to digest carbs that will spike your blood sugar and slow to digest carbs that won't. For me, under 40% carbs is critical for weight loss or maintenance.

To do that I focus on dairy, butter, cheese
    grains potatoes
    nuts lentils legumes
    dried fruits like figs dates
    orange juice

Any of those things have tons of calories.

I really like putting yoghurt and nuts with bean sprouts and even raisins on broccoli or other veggies. Add a little curry for flavor. Lots of protein and very tasty.

Also, look at a raw cookbook. Really interesting recipes with high protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Kale, Swiss Chard, and Collard greens have some protein.
    Also Brussel Sprouts and Broccoli.
    Chia seeds: One ounce contains 5 grams protein and 12 grams carbs.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i made a kickass vegetarian chili last weekend. although, what made it kickass was all the cheddar cheese i piled on top. can you eat cheese, or is that out too? if not, have you considered ditching the vegetarian diet?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan or vegetarian? The best option would be nuts, and vegetarian protein smoothies made with kale, spinach, and small amount of fruit.
  • Calboy2015
    Calboy2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for suggestions. I will start with adding Beans, Avocado, Cheese and Chia seeds to my diet. Will also try out new recipes. I never thought I will be facing a challenge in eating more :smile:
  • sws55
    sws55 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am a vegetarian also and I lean more towards green vegetables and less on starches. Do buy soy products to add protein. I love my fitness pal.helps me keep track of carbs and protein daily so I can adjust. Lost 50 lbs and on maintence now.Still use this app though. Makes eating easier. Not sure this helps but keep up the good work.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I run into the same stuff! I'm vegan, so I try to add in protein wherever possible. I mix tofu into every smoothie I make, for example, which definitely helps.

I'm ALWAYS at least a little over on carbs, but I just make sure I'm eating the most nutrient-dense foods possible and deal with it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. This is why I am no longer a vegetarian.

I decided that my A1C and being able to maintain a reasonable weight were more important than my desire to avoid meat.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    oils and fats do it quick like coconut oil, butter, dairy etc. If youre a vegan thats a bit more limited but fat adds up quick
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever go over on my carbs, granted I'm currently on a 1,200 calorie diet. I eat meat substitutes every day, my favorite brand being Quorn, and Gardein is the runner-up. I don't count my carbs, but I eat these every day and I haven't gone over on my alotted carbs from MFP, so you may look into these products. :)
  • brianazo
    brianazo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is crazy high in calories for the carbs.
  • Calboy2015
    Calboy2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    brianazo wrote: »
    Peanut butter is crazy high in calories for the carbs.

Peanut butter has lot Calories for the carb per serving, but the only way I know to eat it is with toast, and that is carb loaded. Any interesting low carb Vegetarian recipes with peanut butter?