Protien Powder? Pros and Cons?

Options
I was just wondering... I've heard so many mixed thoughts on protein powder. I've been told by some it isn't good for you and that you don't need it.

But then I've also heard from others that it is important for weight loss and muscle building.

I don't know what to think.

What about all of you? What are the pros and cons of using protein powder? Also if you have any websites with information about pros and cons of protein powder that would be very helpful!

Replies

• devinberglundjoubert
    devinberglundjoubert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    There will always be debate over the pros and cons and if it is really needed. I don't know how true any information is, due to supplement companies wanting people to think a certain way in order for them to profit by selling protein powder.

The majority of body builders will say that you need to consume protein to build muscle due to the fact that muscle is made of protein. Most seem to say 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some say 1.5 - 2g or more per pound of bodyweight, some say much less. If you are trying to stay in a caloric deficit it can be hard to take in this much protein and not sacrifice the healthy fats your body needs, and the carbs you use for energy. If you are already getting plenty of protein from other sources, you don't need protein powder, and it can be a waste of money. I take in about 180g protein a day (I weigh about 170lbs and weight train four times a week) - if I've not reached this by the end of the day, I take in however much protein powder I need to get to 180g.

Protein can make you feel fuller for longer, meaning you're less likely to get hungry and go over your allocated calories for the day. Also, if you are in a calorie deficit and want to lose fat rather than muscle, a good amount of protein consumption can help to encourage your body to stay away from burning off muscle and burn fat instead. Protein powder is also said to have a better amino acid profile than the usual high in protein foods. Some people find protein shakes hard to stomach, but that can just be if they are consuming too much.

I'd say, work out a rough estimate of how much protein you need to consume based on your lifestyle (there are websites to help give you some rough ideas if you google it), and work out roughly how much you take in on a daily basis. If you aren't consuming enough consider taking in more, perhaps from protein powder, or maybe chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, etc., depending on their nutritional information, cost, convenience, and which you prefer eating.

I hope this helps a bit :smile:
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too...bumping to see other advice...
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I would hazard that unless you are an athlete, or purposefully trying to "bulk up", protein powders are completely un-needed, given a proper diet.

I also consider them expensive forms of protein, considering the alternatives: Tuna fish and cottage cheese are almost pound for pound protein.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I took protein powder for YEARS...it is a total complete waste of your money....it is very unhealthy and does absolutely nothing for your body...It is one of the great diet scams...stay away
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love protein powder =)

In my opinion, if you're in need of extra protein amounts, then by all means go for it.

My favorite is Muscle Tech 100% whey!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I asked similar questions and decided to take the plunge and try them. Also, as they come in such large quantities when you do buy them, I've decided to stick to them.

I use them on days where I work out, or if I have a large calorie deficit that needs bumping up. I'd like to add straight away that they, in no way, directly affect weight loss. They're fuel, and they're good fuel for slow energy release and recovery.

I have a low-carb, low-GI PHD protein powder, which I'll blend with 1/2 (or whole) banana, and a teaspoon (or tablespoon) of peanut butter, with lots of ice and some cold water (yum). I had one last night when I got in from work, about 30 mins before working out, and I felt like I had such a great burst of energy during my session. I know most people have them after, and there's a lot of debate, and maybe I do it wrong, but for me, personally, I like them before a workout.

I don't think they're necessary. I just like them for the purpose I use them.
  • RomyGReyes
    RomyGReyes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Hon, I started taking Whey Protein and Slimfast combined. I eat 3 snacks, drink 2 shakes or if I just do Whey I drink 4 shakes and eat 1 500 cal meal. I'm not an expert by far but I just do what works for me. I started my diet on May 16 and so far lost 12 lbs. I walk 3 times a day for 30 min and the lbs are coming off. I get confused listening to so many different outlook and opinions and that's why I do what works for me. You always have to remember that what works for one may not work for someone else. Good Luck and don't get discouraged.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There will always be debate over the pros and cons and if it is really needed. I don't know how true any information is, due to supplement companies wanting people to think a certain way in order for them to profit by selling protein powder.

<snip>

I'd say, work out a rough estimate of how much protein you need to consume based on your lifestyle (there are websites to help give you some rough ideas if you google it), and work out roughly how much you take in on a daily basis. If you aren't consuming enough consider taking in more, perhaps from protein powder, or maybe chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, etc., depending on their nutritional information, cost, convenience, and which you prefer eating.

I hope this helps a bit :smile:

What he said. He is pretty much right.

If you're weight lifting you may build more muscle if you consume at least 1-2g of protein per kg of body weight. Having slow protein (slow digesting) such as casein (from milk) before a weight workout (1-2hr before) makes sure the muscle break down can be stopped a bit by helping proteins available. Having fast protein (such as whey, also from milk) after a workout (0-1hr after) helps rebuild broken down muscle tissue. I may be using lay man's terms but that's because I don't know the exact details either. However what I've just said is pretty much backed up with scientific research. There is no scam there. This is all fact. And I have read a lot believe you me. And I'm smart enough to be able to sift between nonsense and scam and fact.

Now as to how you get your protein, I think it's basically all good. As long as you know that some of it works faster and some of it works slower. Like before bed at night you might take some slow working protein so as to keep your body supplied with it during the night.

One other important thing is you cannot eat up on proteins to store yourself for the day. I think anything you eat in one sitting above 20-40g leaves your body in a few hours through your urine. So I think body builders will benefit from having an easy source of protein so they can take it as an in-between meal.

By the way I don't sell any protein powder so have nothing to gain except to state what I believe to be truth.

Myself, I eat chicken breast. It's a good lean source of protein. And I have two kinds of protein powder. One containing whey protein (but I am not sure how much) and one basically just containing basic milk powder (but very concentrated without sugar or fat so no lactose in there). Why don't I drink real whey protein? It's expensive and the one I drink isn't :)

So as to protein eat whatever you think works. Find a natural version of whey or casein milk and you'll be fine! But, somebody said tuna and that is not recommended. Tuna has a lot of fat in it and some trace metals that may give you cancer or something. Read up on that. I think one can of tuna per week is the max recommended. I know because I thought I'd just buy cheap cans of tuna aswell haha.

I think the protein that's most wholesome and most easily absorbed by the body by the way is egg. All other proteins are measured by it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like it occasionally because it keeps you fuller. I prefer protein bars though, and I have one of those most days (not the ones with a ton of sugar though).
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I like having it around as an option for increasing my protein here and there. I keep vanilla and chocolate on hand and usually mix the vanilla in with my plain greek yogurt or the chocolate in with my oatmeal. I also use it in a bunch of recipes to boost the protein amounts. I don't rely on it solely though and do try and get as much of my protein from regular foods as possible.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Studies show that just adding more protein to a normal diet will make you lose more weight.

Are protein powders created equal, absolutely not. YMMV!

I just bought nice quality organic low carb protein shake from my local Health food store. My girlfriend buys a Vegan version of a protein shake and she’s having great results by adding it to her diet.

I think protein shakes/powders supplements often get confused with meal replacement products which in my opinion aren't very good for you.

Good Luck...
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    IMHO, from reading and working with a nutritionist, u need a protein drink after workout. It is important to help rebuild muscle and it is the fastest acting but u need it within 30 minutes of finishing your workout. I did find a wonderful protein powder that has no fillers or preservatives that is also all natural. Garden of Life. Try the chocolate raw meal. It is also a great meal replacement. Just use one scoop in 12oz. of water and ice or chocolate almond milk. It is a little fibrous but good. U could use this even if u don't workout because it is so healthy. Haven't tried the vanilla yet. My son and husband use Gold Standard milk chocolate protein powder and love it but it does have fillers. From our research it is one of the safest. U can get it for a great price at Vitaminshoppe.com. But whey protein powders r not necessary if u don't workout. Hope this helps a little. I am very careful about what I put in my body since cancer...Good Luck.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is recommended after weight lifting or vigorous training. For optimal muscle recovery you want nutrients to hit your muscles within a certain window usually starting during or after your workout. Solid foods take a bit of time to digest where as a liquid protein drinks can enter your bloodstream in minutes.

They are good to supplement into your diet, but not recommended as a meal replacement.

Just make sure your research the types of powders. Ex. Regular Whey, Casein, Mass Gainers, etc. Each having different purposes.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after every gym day. I guess it's really up to you. just watch out for the sugar and calories in the one you are buying. The one I have is 25G of protein and only 140 calories. I find it hard to get proper nutrition being on a tight budget so I drink out to get a bit more protein in my diet :)

EDIT: the one I buy is only about $23 CAD and it's about 30 servings so it's cheaper than buying a lot of protein rich foods.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I've found protein powder to work out slightly cheaper than other protein alternatives.

If you're already getting enough protein, or if you aren't doing exercise that breaks down your muscles a lot, then you will get no benefit from protein powder.

The belief that eating any more than 20-40g of protein in one go won't be used is a bit of a myth, encouraged by supplement companies so that bodybuilders have a protein shake every hour, rather than getting their protein from three big meals. If your body needs the amount of protein you are consuming in one go, whatever the quantity, it will use it, it won't discard what it need. If it doesn't need it then it then your body will turn it into carbs or store it as fat.

Tinned tuna in brine is low in fat, even more than chicken breast, and mercury poisoning shouldn't really be a problem - I eat two or more portions of fish a day.

It doesn't matter when you take in your protein, it doesn't need to be before, during, or right after your work out as many people think. As long as you've taken in some protein a few hours before or a few hours after so that your body has something to use then that's just as good. Again, supplement companies want you to believe you should take it straight after a work out as it is easier for you to do this with supplements than with food, making more profit for them.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are a cheap and convenient source of protein, but by no means necessary if you're getting adequate protein from regular food.

Whey protein is recommended after weight lifting or vigorous training. For optimal muscle recovery you want nutrients to hit your muscles within a certain window usually starting during or after your workout. Solid foods take a bit of time to digest where as a liquid protein drinks can enter your bloodstream in minutes.

hAB15C506

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I love Protein Powder. I find it helps me stay full, helps me build muscle, and is a good recovery tool. Granted, I exercise 6 days a week. I am currently doing Insanity, plus running a couple days a week. I also completed P90X. I found that protein powder was essential for MY GOALS. It might not be right for yours. I wanted some muscle mass while losing weight, and protein powder helped me achieve that. Soon, I will be bulking up, so I will be taking both powder and creatine.

If all you are doing is losing weight with only a little bit of exercise (or none at all), I would say it is probably best to stay away. If you are exercising 4 or more days a week, they are intense workouts, and there is strength building exercises in there (not just cardio or yoga, or whatever), I would say use it.