Sorry folks but constipation question

Options
Does anyone else suffer from constipation whilst trying to shed the weight. I am currently on 1200 calls per day and walk for at least 2.5 to 3 miles per day. Eat lots of salad and veg, not eating sweet stuff and also off the booze. Anyone got any tips how I can " get things moving again" please. Sorry for the ew of this xxxx

Replies

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yes lots and lots... drink more water and a small amount of prune juice daily helps loads.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat and eat more "p" produce--peaches, plums, peas, pineapple, prunes, and peppers (esp. red bell peppers. )
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fat and fibre. Even if I get 45g of fibre everyday, if my fat grams are low things don't run as smoothly!
    Why is it always us women who have this problem??? I never see these threads started by guys....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Fat and fibre.

Exactly this!

Getting more exercise might help too.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ....And if added fibre and fat don't do the trick... Magnesium citrate will ;)
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Agree with the water. Drink a big glass of water as soon as you wake each morning. Helps to start the day out right.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yep--or take some Colace. It won't do anything drastic, but it might get you going again.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've struggled for months with this - agree to all of the above. Also, for me, taking a daily pro-biotic has really helped.

Hope you poop soon!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    janer4jc wrote: »
    Agree with the water. Drink a big glass of water as soon as you wake each morning. Helps to start the day out right.

I had major problems for about three months when first starting to lose weight. I do this - giant glass of water in the morning on an empty stomach. Chase it with my morning coffee. No problems since.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Colace once or twice a day, it's a stool softener. Make sure you get plenty of water. Magnesium rich foods- prunes, kiwis etc. and MOM or magnesium citrate, enemas or suppositories are all over the counter though I do not recommend them as first line efforts nor more then once or twice as all can cause bowel dependency.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have irritable bowel syndrome and find a kiwi (or two) keeps things going. And lots of water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ideal intestinal tract function comes from the three "F"'s: Fat, fiber, and fluids. Make sure you are drinking enough and watch your fat and fiber macros. I find that a quick, natural solution when I get backed up a little is a big handful of nuts, especially almonds. They have a fair amount of fiber as well as healthy fat.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've struggled for months with this - agree to all of the above. Also, for me, taking a daily pro-biotic has really helped.

Hope you poop soon!

LOL. Sending happy pooping vibes your way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xx
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Chia seeds. Try in smoothies, puddings, greek yogurt. They need to be hydrated - do not eat them dry.
  • sharonocallaghan1956
    Options
    Thanks folks will try the water - I know I'm probably not drinking enough and as I have cut fat down to a minimum it's probably that too. Thanks for all of your suggestions and at least I know I'm not alone when it comes to this problem xxxxxx
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was eating 1200 a day my bowels slowed to every other day. There just wasn't enough bulk to keep everything moving. Lots of good suggestions above.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Does anyone else suffer from constipation whilst trying to shed the weight. I am currently on 1200 calls per day and walk for at least 2.5 to 3 miles per day. Eat lots of salad and veg, not eating sweet stuff and also off the booze. Anyone got any tips how I can " get things moving again" please. Sorry for the ew of this xxxx
    Are you stressed or don't get enough sleep ? Do you drink enough water ? You can drink green tea it helps.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    you can also try to drink Epsom salts ( not every day just when it is really bad !!! ) I have also heard that it is good to make enema once in a while.Also you can cut a little the salty foods (salt retains water).
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I was eating 1200 a day my bowels slowed to every other day. There just wasn't enough bulk to keep everything moving.

Exactly. Are you sure you're constipated? Maybe you're an every other day or every third day pooper now.

But, not eating enough fat and drinking few fluids like you mentioned ^^ probably has contributed to your "problem".

55835802.png

• tlw9903
    tlw9903 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Quinoa seems to help me...