I have gained a couple lbs, whats up??????

Options
I would like for someone to review my diaries and see if i am eating wrong. i am 51 yrs old, i work out 3 to 4 times a week and usually bike 25 to 50 miles on the weekend. I have been tracking everything i eat. Today i was up two lbs and haven't lost any weight since starting. i have been on MVP for about two weeks. Help!!:explode:

Replies

• boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here's a couple things to keep in mind. Be consistent about logging, there are a couple days where you didn't log, they shouldn't have too much of an issue however too many could be detrimental. Also keep in mind that with eating more healthy and tracking alot of people do not see results for at least 3-4 weeks. What about sodium intake? This could also create a couple lbs on the scale especially if you don't drink enough water to rid your body of it. Hope some of these things help.

Jess
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    Very common. Don't be surprised if you don't lose anything for the first month or so. Keep track of your measurements, you may be shifting inches if not pounds. Also, you may be gaining muscle from the exercise, so may not be losing weight even if the fat is shifting. Just keep going and be patient, you'll soon start noticing changes. The scales are not the be all and end all. Good luck!
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me this is often caused by an increase in sodium levels when I'm not paying attention (water weight).

In order to gain 2lbs in a week you must consume 7000 calories OVER your BMR+cardio which is alot. So it is more then likely 'water weight' and a strict watch on sodium as well as increased water intake (unless on a diuretic then you'll have to watch that and supplement with electrolytes) should see that reverse.

At 47 (48 next month) I'm almost your age and probably in a similar boat though I've used MFP for 4 or 5 months not and have been actively working towards my goal for nearly a year now and I have had similar issues where I suddenly saw my weight go up but I could almost always track that back to some dietary change/abuse etc.

Now that I watch more closely my sodium and fiber levels I generally don't have this issue :)
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    my scale goes up and down all the time, have you done measurements? Maybe you are losing inches? Have you always done so much exercise or have you been increasing recently? Just be patient and maybe not weigh all the time. Stick to your diet. We have two scales in our house and they will weigh very different from time to time (I mean, one scale is generally 1.2 lbs different than the other but from time to time for days at a time one will be .4 lbs different than the other and sometimes 2 lbs, so it's the scale and not ME!). I tried to weigh once a week while I was losing quickly and just once every couple weeks now that it's slowed down. Good luck!
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to pick up a couple of pounds at any given time. If you've upped your exercise regimen then it's actually typical; as muscle is stressed there's a bit of swelling and water retention in the tissue (that's how muscle is torn down and rebuilt). Also sodium as everyone's pointed out.

Log carefully - I find I have to weigh food sometimes (a real pain in the backside, but I did finally cave in and buy a small electronic food scale), make sure you eat _enough_ if you're exercising alot, watch sodium intake, drink 6-8 cups of water a day, and keep it up. It takes a while to "reset" your metabolism - some people seem to lose weight quickly (although fast initial loss is usually water) and some take weeks to start seeing loss. You'll get there!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that you're not logging your food every day, when you do log-just from a quick scan...I see peanut butter, crackers, bread and French onion dip seem to be daily staples...nary a fruit or vegetable insight. So I recommend you rework your diet to include a boatload more of healthy veg & fruit and lean protein (fish, beans, chicken)...and get religious on logging. The foods you're eating now are not giving you a good variety of nutrition and seriously lacking in fiber & protein.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Aside from the fact that you're not logging your food every day, when you do log-just from a quick scan...I see peanut butter, crackers, bread and French onion dip seem to be daily staples...nary a fruit or vegetable insight. So I recommend you rework your diet to include a boatload more of healthy veg & fruit and lean protein (fish, beans, chicken)...and get religious on logging. The foods you're eating now are not giving you a good variety of nutrition and seriously lacking in fiber & protein.

I'll second that!
  • mitchellmonkey
    Options
    I never realised how important drinking lots of water is. i'm now wondering if this is a lot of my problem. I only drink 1-2 pints of water or diluted juice a day.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    0/10
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    I never realised how important drinking lots of water is. i'm now wondering if this is a lot of my problem. I only drink 1-2 pints of water or diluted juice a day.

I drink 12oz of pure water in the am first thing (Hungry for Change -- the movie -- gave me that idea) then a cup of coffee (8oz) with cream and agave and then 24oz of a drink mix (ACT - Advanced Cellular Technology powder and purified water) then later can drink anywhere from 16 to 32oz or more of water or watered down lemonaid etc.

It isn't just water -- though that's probably best -- but fluids that aren't some kind of diuretic (coffee, coke, beer etc) or loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners (juice, soda, diet soda etc). So, water or very watery drinks are best.

You can drink 1 oz per pound of body weight is what I'm told...but for me to drink 234oz of water a day would be TOO MUCH! lol