need to stop a craving!

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no willpower when it comes to my trigger foods so I squash it with a glass - for some odd reason, that works for me.
    -
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers makes a salted caramel ice cream bar that is pretty good. I think it's around 150 calories per bar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers makes a salted caramel ice cream bar that is pretty good. I think it's around 150 calories per bar.

I would probably need 3 of them
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yeah but you got to buy a whole box of them.

I sympathize, OP! Eventually I give in, personally, and I just try to make up for it the next week or something.

I still need to find that Stonyfield stuff.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    sswanl wrote: »
    Not sure what there is to make. Most baking is out because no one drinks milk but me, so none is in the house. Chocolate bar didn't help.
    Could you make something with ingredients you already have in the house? So no need to even go to the store?

Baking is a bad idea in my house anyway. So you have milk, do you have cocoa powder? Honey?
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    Maybe next time blend up the chocolate bar into milk and freeze :)
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    I actually find that reading things when I'm craving really helps. There's a motivational thread called "Things No One Told Me About Weight Loss" or something like that, it's great! And super long, maybe enough to keep you distracted until bed? And why are you craving ice cream anyway? Are you tired? Thirsty? Had a stressful day? Analyze why you are craving something, instead of giving in to it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd just go eat the pint of ice cream. Subbing other foods for a craving never works for me because not only do I eat the sub foods, I then go eat what I was craving.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'd just go eat the pint of ice cream. Subbing other foods for a craving never works for me because not only do I eat the sub foods, I then go eat what I was craving.

Lol I've done that so many times!!
    Altho blackberries and rasberries satisfy my sweet tooth more than any other " substitute"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I never think of foods as substitutes. Some things have higher calories than others, some things have higher fat. I adjust according to my calorie and macro goals for the day. I like everything I eat.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    When I buy ice cream I pre portion it all out. I am a sucker for wanting to eat it till its gone and if it all stays in the original tub I'll end up eating way more than I want just mindlessly scooping. I have a bunch of child sized tupperwear containers and I just scoop out a serving (or two) in each with my scale and its done. This way I can grab and go and know I can finish the whole thing and not feel like I have to "control" myself.
  • Francl27
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Story of my life.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My favorite ice cream is the Dryers slow churned rocky road. A serving isn't too high calorie, but it becomes high calorie when I eat the entire container in one sitting because it's so delicious. Because of that, I buy it infrequently, maybe once every couple of months, or when I'm taking a maintenance break.

I like to buy ice cream bars or the mini Drumsticks. Plain ice cream bars are like 110 calories and I think the mini Drumsticks are around 130. Single serving items always help me recognize how much I'm eating - sure I might still eat more than one, but at least I realize that I'm eating several servings of something when I do, whereas it's pretty easy to make your brain believe half a container of ice cream is only one serving if you eat it all in one sitting.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I discovered Yasso frozen yogurt bars. The caramel one is 100 calories and the chocolate covered one is 130.
    Really good and satisfying.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I make myself exercise the calories off 1st. Like, if I want the ice cream, I have to walk to the store to get it. Not the one across the street but the one 2.5 miles away to get it. Since I'm lazy I decide to skip it. Plus I always log the calories first before I eat anything.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I buy ice cream I pre portion it all out. I am a sucker for wanting to eat it till its gone and if it all stays in the original tub I'll end up eating way more than I want just mindlessly scooping. I have a bunch of child sized tupperwear containers and I just scoop out a serving (or two) in each with my scale and its done. This way I can grab and go and know I can finish the whole thing and not feel like I have to "control" myself.

That's a great idea! I'm guilty of eating ice cream straight from the tub, and before I know it, it's gone....
  • Francl27
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    sswanl wrote: »
    I have tried the ignore thing, ended badly... but I can just feel it deep in my stomach that I "need" it, I can't get it out of my head, even after having a piece of dark chocolate. If I walk into that freezer section without knowing what sort of alternative I am looking for, I tend to mentally shut off that smart part of me and justify why I need to just buy the pint.

What treats do you indulge in when your craving a fatty or chocolate food? I am pretty open with calorie count. I could easily squeeze 200-250 out to make room for it, but I darn well even a 1/2 pint of chocolate ice cream sits at 350+ and I am not 100% confident I could really stop at just 1/2.

There is a frozen yogurt I get called Stonyfield. The chocolate has 400 calories in the whole pint. Sometimes I can eat the whole thing, sometimes only 300...but still, that's 3/4 of a pint.

I have one waiting for me tonight. I will probably eat the whole thing and eat at maintenance today.

I saw it today. I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I crave ice cream, although to be fair, a lot of low fat ice creams have the same amount of calories (but I guess they only come in bigger sizes).

Or you can buy those individual servings of ice cream.