Unable to eat any plant products

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Is it all plant products raw and cooked?

I had a teacher in high school who couldn't eat raw fruits. I believe it extended to vegetables as well. Oranges were the worst for her, she had an epipen. She could drink apple juice but not apple cider due to the processing
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do nuts and seeds affect you adversely?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kamiyu910 wrote: »
    DerserveVictory, definitely no nuts! lol. I'm avoiding seasonings altogether, though I've been looking into the artificial stuff like smoke flavoring.
    @‌rybo - did you miss this?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I see that you can't eat raw vegetables, but what cooked ones can you eat? That might help people give you more creative ideas.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I've heard insects are tasty and full of protein (I'm serious).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Steak, chuck roast (crock pots are amazing), pork (read the label make sure it's not injected with anything), fish, butter, cheese (watch out for added 'natural flavorings', especially in butter, I've read some posts by people on other forums who have reactions from that).

Really it sounds like you need a good ketogenic cookbook. Maybe browse the library or bookstore shelves.

Also, can you eat vinegar? Might spice things up a bit for you. Or all natural mustard (again look out for sneaky ingredients like natural flavoring)?

Mustard is a plant.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Honestly, and this has nothing to do with you. (Seriously.) However, I find this "can't eat vegetable products" to be very hard to believe. I would have drilled the hell out of my doctor, and gotten a second opinion... but, you know your situation. It just seems so far out of my sphere of understanding that it's just so odd to me.

Agreed, this seems very very odd. I'd definitely get a second opinion from anther physician. This is an incredibly rare and strange allergy syndrome that you have.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I know someone with severe allergies so I'm familiar with the very limited diets some people much lead. Honestly, I can't imagine having to eat only meat with no seasoning. Can you at least add salt, since that is not from plants? What about mushrooms, which techinically are not a plant? I can't think of a recipe that uses meat only, other than grilled or roasted meat but if you can use mushrooms and salt that would at least allow you make a nice mushroom sauce to go with.

Has you doctor suggested medical food? Are they doing food trials to try and teach your gut to handle different foods?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Can you at least add salt, since that is not from plants?

Sodium is necessary for life, so she can't be allergic to that.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I definitely echo trying to find a competent nutritionist/dietician to help you out ... but here's a couple of links to similar topics that might be helpful in any case:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1440505/recipes-for-food-allergies

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10086775/healthy-dinner-ideas-for-people-who-have-a-ton-of-food-allergies

also you might want to post this question in the recipes section, and/or use the search feature on different keywords like food allergies, fruit allergies, etc… to see if anyone else has the same probs and has gotten suggestions there... :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Not what I asked.
  • dbmata
    Options

Not what I asked.
    You asked if a person who was allergic to vegetable matter was allergic to a mineral.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not what I asked.
    You asked if a person who was allergic to vegetable matter was allergic to a mineral.

Right, and fungi.
  • dbmata
    Options
    last I checked, even culinary terms didn't lump minerals, metals, or anything else of a like nature with vegetable matter.

Culinary terms often do lump fungi in with vegetable matter, so that is a valid question.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Agree that the allergist might not be the best to ask for nutrition advise. Best to talk to an nutritionist showing them your full list of triggers. Also, I know some react to a raw product but OK w cooked or vise versa. And I've seen others b able to eat a tsp to start and build up from there.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Not what I asked.
    To be fair, the OP did say she was avoiding "seasonings" and there are people who lump salt into "seasonings".

But given her allergies, my thoughts went to basil, oregano, etc, not salt.

I'd die with this allergy. Garlic is a food group for me
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Which allergy do you have? Something as broad as "all vegetables and fruit" does not exist as far as I'm aware. Oral allergy syndrome is the closest I know of, which can be worked around by cooking most of the troublesome food. Cooking breaks down the proteins that your body is setting off an immune response against. Another option is peeling the food, as most proteins that cause the immune response are in the skin. I have also heard that canning can break down the proteins, but am not a fan of canned veg myself.

Talk to dietitian who specializes in food allergies. They would be able to tell you about ways to prepare less risky foods and foods to always avoid.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    OP, based off of what you've stated I'm assuming that you have a diagnosed saliciyate and/or sulfite allergy but in order to help you with recipes we the MFP public would need to know specifics. Is this the problem?? If not, I do not know of any allergenic proteins common among all plant species that would cause this, and the few proteins that are ubiquitous among plant species tend to be conserved throughout life.

If you give us some more specifics, like I'm specifically allergic to this "....", it would be a big help so we can avoid that in recipes we might give you.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    last I checked, even culinary terms didn't lump minerals, metals, or anything else of a like nature with vegetable matter.

Culinary terms often do lump fungi in with vegetable matter, so that is a valid question.

I wasn't lumping, I was asking questions. Geez, WTH?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    kamiyu910 wrote: »
    DerserveVictory, definitely no nuts! lol. I'm avoiding seasonings altogether, though I've been looking into the artificial stuff like smoke flavoring.
    @‌rybo - did you miss this?

I did miss that. Saw the no beans, missed the no nuts.